Options

Microserver Recommendations

urstuffplz1urstuffplz1 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a Microserver to use for my labbing environments. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a server that has at least 32GB of RAM and you can install VMware ESXi on? I was looking at the HPE ProLiant Microservers, but wanted to see if there are other options.
2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]

Comments

• Options
    Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a Microserver to use for my labbing environments. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a server that has at least 32GB of RAM and you can install VMware ESXi on? I was looking at the HPE ProLiant Microservers, but wanted to see if there are other options.

Looked at some of the price tags for them HPE ProLiant Microservers. Starts around £200 ish going to £600, this with just it's default ram of 2 / 4 / 8 GB. Also only dual core processors from what I can see. Overall I don't like this option.

If you can handle a little (Or more) noise pollution have you considered something like a rack server? I've looked at some which are pretty affordable with 2x physical quad cores and around 48 GB. With 16 threads should be able to also run 16 vm's I guess. I want to get one myself eventually for both lab and to run all my servers.
  • Options
    vJoshvJosh Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I was you, I'd look at the Supermicro E200-8D, they can take up to 128GB, RDIMM.
    Allot of people are using them for ESXi labs. Take a look at this link on Tinkertry.
    https://tinkertry.com/supermicro-superserver-sys-e200-8d-and-sys-e300-pictures