Options

Distance Vector Routing Protocol

eng_ahmedaseng_ahmedas Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All
I wish u r all in good health.I am confusing about a concept in networks running "Distance Vector Routing Protocol" and i wish u could help me.

When new router added to a network running "Distance Vector Routing Protocol", will it immediatly advertise its directly connected networks to its neighbors or it will wait for the update time to expire???

And will the its neighbor routers will update the new router with their routing table as soon as it add to the network or will they wait for the update timer to expire???

Is the previous is what know by network dicovery process ????

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Options
    lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi All
    I wish u r all in good health.I am confusing about a concept in networks running "Distance Vector Routing Protocol" and i wish u could help me.
    You do understand that distance vector is a type (or class) of routing protocols and not a specific protocol, right? And that each distance vector protocol is implemented differently? For the sake of discussion I'll assume we are talking about RIP, though other DV protocols typically do something similar.
    And will the its neighbor routers will update the new router with their routing table as soon as it add to the network or will they wait for the update timer to expire???
    Yes, with RIP this happens first. On startup the new router will broadcast a RIP Request on all RIP enabled interfaces. It will use the RIP Responses that it receives to build it's routing table.
    When new router added to a network running "Distance Vector Routing Protocol", will it immediatly advertise its directly connected networks to its neighbors or it will wait for the update time to expire???
    After sending out the RIP Requests as above, RIP will then send out flash (aka triggered) updates on all RIP enabled interfaces. These flash updates will include both directly connected networks and routes learned from the Request/Response exchange above.

All of this happens without waiting for the regular update timer.
    Is the previous is what know by network dicovery process ????
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. Please clarify or rephrase. This is just what RIP does on start up. I've never heard this process called by any particular name.