Options

Success story!

sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
Okay so, I started coming here for help with my Network+. I wanted to take the N10-005, but while I was studying, it changed to the N10-006 which was a whole different beast. This cert took me forever to get because of that change, also it was my first. I did not want to fail that test. Took about 9 months. Then I immediately went to study for the CCNA, and that also took me a while (fear of failing, common occurance here). Then I got the Boson exam simulator and that put the fear of something unholy in me, and I put the test off until I was Ace-ing the Boson test. Turns out the Boson is amazing because I flewwww through the CCNA because of it.

That puts me in August 2016, I went to Thailand the week after the test. Took a break, and went to start with AWS. My goals changed from networking to the cloud, because of just the trend of IT. During my study for AWS, I got a job interview just from adding the CCNA to my resume.

I know everyone here says to apply to specific jobs, and tailor make each cover letter to that job, and only apply for a handful of jobs at a time. Personally, my experience at at the time was just desktop support at a college in with certs. Not exactly in high demand there, so I applied to everything, and waited to see what stuck. I was making in the low teens per hour, but the benefits were amaaaazzziiiing. I had to deal with the low pay because I needed 2 knee surgeries as well as other time off for physical therapy, etc, etc. Trade off.

I got a call from a contracting company sometime in October for an interview at a very very very very big company. The rate was $25 an hour, which was gold compared to what I was making. When I was in the lobby I saw someone older than me also interviewing. I kind of got worried because of how big this company is, they would require everyone have tons of experience, or so I thought.

I told them I had the CCNA, and I have a lot of interest in the cloud. The gist of the interview was: "yeaaaaaaaaah, we don't do that here." I essentially bombed the interview, because what I wanted to do, they didn't offer. What they had to offer was all entirely in house software made for them. I did manage to ask a few questions about the ability to move up in the company, and asked how the work environment was between everyone because that is important to me etc. My recruiter called me after the interview and asked how it went, I was honest and told him that I don't think they were very interested in me. He said he spoke to the interviewer, and he said the same about me (since I had cisco experience, and AWS interest).

Interviewer set up a 2nd phone call with me, asked me what my favorite things to do at work was. I was absolutely stumped with that answer as since I do desktop support, and was very over qualified for it, it all seemed like monkey work to me. I told him I liked upgrading labs because I can do a lot of work fast or some stupid answer.

I was biking to work the next day and got a phone call, I got off my bike to answer. Turns out I was offered the job. Hooray! So I, in November 2016 started the job making $25 an hour, with no benefits, but OT pay. The OT was pretty constant, and I had it every single week unless there was a holiday, and I would have an unpaid day off.

I worked from November to July making that rate, and in June, LOTS of OT opened up. I was doing 50-60 hours every single week because someone quit, from a parallel department. My contract was up at the very beginning of August. The same recruiter that hired me, sent me the job posting for the person that left the job. Turns out it was for $30/hr. I used that as leverage to ask for a raise, because I was doing my job, AND the fill in job, for $25 an hour. I immediately got the raise to $30/hr. From August on, the OT was still high and I was making more than I ever was, multiples of what I was making at the college.

Cue last week, my boss calls me into a meeting on Friday evening after my last bit of duty was done. I thought I was in for some bad news because as a contractor, you know I could be fired at any moment. And they always fire people on Fridays, apparently. Anyway...

He asks me all vaguely and cryptically, how do I like working there? How am I getting along? (It's been almost a year). Then he mentions that there has been a full time position possibly opening up, and it would make the most sense to hire in house (because as I said, it was all entirely in-house software used). He tells me not to feel pressured, and if I declined, my contracting job would still be there, with the OT. The full time position would not have any OT.

$30/hr without OT is 64k a year. I was on pace to hit the mid 70s, maybe 80s. He said I would be making more with the OT, but just a bit more. I was hoping the offer of the salary would be in the 70s. I would be disappointed if it was something only like 60-65 with benefits. He didn't have exact numbers to offer at the moment.

He calls me yesterday, with official numbers.
$75k/yr salary. Eligible for 10% bonus. Eligible for merit increase (which I believe goes towards the base rate). 401k matching. Stock Options. 3 weeks vacation. Medical, vision, dental benefits.

Keep in mind, I have not used much CCNA knowledge here (outside of general network troubleshooting. This is down, ping it, etc). But just having that got me the interview. Don't trust anyone here that says "Certs mean nothing, it's all experience" -- but when it comes down to it, if you don't have an experience, certs show a base level knowledge. That is GOLD for someone just starting out, or trying to get out of the beginner roles.

So in November 2016 I was making terrible pay, and throughout tons of just burying my head in the books, studying, working hard, not complaining, and a LOT of luck -- I officially have a career. :)

Comments

• Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man. Really glad to see your hard work paid off.

I was in a similar position. Was making $14/hr last year as a contractor. Got a helpdesk job that put me at $21.50. Since March I got my Windows 10 cert, CEH, and GCIH. I start a security analyst job on Monday for $30/hr.

Congrats again man. You earned it.
  • Options
    Thanks !

Also - forgot to mention. I know I said my goal was cloud stuff, and it still is, but now I can rest easy about job security and study at work and know I can see a doctor if I get sick. :)

This is not any endpoint for me, but it is a great "new" starting point. I do still intend to learn. I had put off learning Linux/Puppet because of all of the OT I was getting. It paid off. Now I can re-focus :)
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! There really is no down to getting certifications as long as you are learning the material. At the bare minimum they show that you are dedicated to improving yourself and can checkmark boxes on job applications and promotions.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mind if we ask your age? Also, keep going, your on a roll and there is a lot more room to grow salary wise, if you don't have a degree, pursue one.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!

While you may not have any experience, just having the CCNA tells them your motivated and can be taught. It's pretty much the same thing if you have a bachelors degree, often the job you end up with has little or nothing to do with the degree you studied for, but lazy, unmotivated people don't get college degrees. Having certifications and/or a college degree tells them your just not another slacker that's not going to try to do the minimal to get by.

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    tuxedoturtletuxedoturtle Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats dude! I would continue to study for your goal job in the cloud but in the meantime that is great news!
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So in November 2016 I was making terrible pay, and throughout tons of just burying my head in the books, studying, working hard, not complaining, and a LOT of luck -- I officially have a career. :)

You would be astonished at how often people who:
    - bury their head in the books
    - study
    - work hard
    - don't complain

...are the same people who have great luck.

It isn't a coincidence. Congratulations!
  • Options
    technogoattechnogoat Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fabostrong wrote: »
    Congrats man. Really glad to see your hard work paid off.

I was in a similar position. Was making $14/hr last year as a contractor. Got a helpdesk job that put me at $21.50. Since March I got my Windows 10 cert, CEH, and GCIH. I start a security analyst job on Monday for $30/hr.

Congrats again man. You earned it.

How did you get certified for CEH, and GCIH?

I thought you had to have 2 years info sec experience

I'm working helpdesk and want to get into infosec

and congrats OP

nice to take a vacation as well. It will broaden your view of life ;)
  • Options
    Congrats dude! I would continue to study for your goal job in the cloud but in the meantime that is great news!

Totally. The salary is great for just the future. I don't have to job hop right now, I don't have to worry when they ask my prior job's salary (although that is now illegal), and now I actually have a benefits package worth keeping.

slinuxuzer wrote: »
    Mind if we ask your age? Also, keep going, your on a roll and there is a lot more room to grow salary wise, if you don't have a degree, pursue one.

Just turned 30 a few weeks ago. I look like I'm in my mid 20s though!
    TechGromit wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Congratulations! [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]While you may not have any experience, just having the CCNA tells them your motivated and can be taught. It's pretty much the same thing if you have a bachelors degree, often the job you end up with has little or nothing to do with the degree you studied for, but lazy, unmotivated people don't get college degrees. Having certifications and/or a college degree tells them your just not another slacker that's not going to try to do the minimal to get by.[/FONT]

I agree. He said after the fact that I got hired based off of his thoughts that I had the ability to figure out the work and keep up.
    jibtech wrote: »
    You would be astonished at how often people who:
    - bury their head in the books
    - study
    - work hard
    - don't complain

...are the same people who have great luck.

It isn't a coincidence. Congratulations!

Well put! I earned it, saying it proudly.
    technogoat wrote: »

I'm working helpdesk and want to get into infosec

and congrats OP

nice to take a vacation as well. It will broaden your view of life ;)

Yeah, after I passed the CCNA I went to Thailand and just took it all in. It cemented the fact that also one day I need to work remotely! Take mini vacations and still working in a different climate when it's too cold in NY. Ha.
  • Options
    fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    technogoat wrote: »

You only need two years of experience if you want to take the test only without the class. If you take an official CEH course, you don't need the experience to take the test. You don't need experience to take the GCIH either.
  • Options
    MuddlesMuddles Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Huge congrats!!

I have a very similar story as well.. I was going to type up a whole thing but decided it was too long and didn't want to hi-jack your thread, so I will just put the basics. :P

My journey started in early 2012 making near minimum wage with just an Associates degree in networking - eventually studied.. practiced, studied some more.. hopped around and kept trying to move up. Numerous amounts of interviews, which I think helped me a ton in building my interviewing experience.

Got my Cisco certs and finally landed to the place where I am now, started at 65k/year back in late 2013 which I thought was insane. One reason I thought it was crazy is because I was only making ~40k and when HR asked what I was wanting I had said in the 50-55k range.

Slowly moved up here. Making just about 92k/year (which is actually very good in my area) with full benefits and a ton of vacation/family time.

The thing is - keep on pushing yourself to move up higher and higher! Treat everything as just a stepping stone. People have always tried to tell me certs are not worth it.. NEVER listen to anyone like that.
  • Options
    Muddles wrote: »
    Huge congrats!!

I have a very similar story as well.. I was going to type up a whole thing but decided it was too long and didn't want to hi-jack your thread, so I will just put the basics. :P

My journey started in early 2012 making near minimum wage with just an Associates degree in networking - eventually studied.. practiced, studied some more.. hopped around and kept trying to move up. Numerous amounts of interviews, which I think helped me a ton in building my interviewing experience.

Got my Cisco certs and finally landed to the place where I am now, started at 65k/year back in late 2013 which I thought was insane. One reason I thought it was crazy is because I was only making ~40k and when HR asked what I was wanting I had said in the 50-55k range.

Slowly moved up here. Making just about 92k/hr (which is actually very good in my area) with full benefits and a ton of vacation/family time.

The thing is - keep on pushing yourself to move up higher and higher! Treat everything as just a stepping stone. People have always tried to tell me certs are not worth it.. NEVER listen to anyone like that.

92,000 per hour?! Jeez I need that job!
  • Options
    MuddlesMuddles Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    92,000 per hour?! Jeez I need that job!

Woops.. haha fixed that. I wish I made 92k an hour. :D
  • Options
    Muddles wrote: »
    Woops.. haha fixed that. I wish I made 92k an hour. :D

What do you do for work? Network engineer? (Basing it on your certs)
  • Options
    pierrevillerespierrevilleres Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for sharing your very inspiring success story!