CIPP/E Advice

14567810»

Comments

• abhisheksekhri1abhisheksekhri1 Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi All - I bought CIPP official book (European Data Protection) earlier this year. Now the test syllabus has been updated from 1st sept. Do I need to buy the new book? Has anything changed in the book? I could not find any changes in the preview available on IAPP website. Can someone please suggest? Thanks.
  • PrivyProfPrivyProf Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @abhisheksekhri1
    I would rather suggest you to directly call and check with the certification team in IAPP. I guess that would be the fastest and best approach...
    Not disregarding anyone, this forum is of immense help and we have some of the most talented certified Privacy Professionals... But looking at the time and schedule best approach would be the one I suggested...

Best of Luck for your Exams !!!
  • PrivyProfPrivyProf Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @one2three
    Thanks for the valuable inputs..

I understand that these are just the certifications but as I am new to the Privacy field I am planning to add more of the badges against my name and this would also help to gain the height in my career...

Thanks Again !!
  • one2threeone2three Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi All - I bought CIPP official book (European Data Protection) earlier this year. Now the test syllabus has been updated from 1st sept. Do I need to buy the new book? Has anything changed in the book? I could not find any changes in the preview available on IAPP website. Can someone please suggest? Thanks.
    What I know is that is a small chapter update regarding the CCPA and its relations with GDPR, but for insurance feel free to contact the IAPP
  • ipiyaliipiyali Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dear Colleagues,

Happy to share that I cleared the exam yesterday at my first attempt. The score is 86/87/88 with total of 413. This thread helped me a lot to understand how to approach the exam. However I also got too much anxious with each review from the members. I postponed the exam a couple of times and finally yesterday cleared it at a go and the questions did not seem so tough as I thought it would be.

I had only studied the GDPR text and the official book. If I look back at yesterday's question pattern I think the GDPR text is good enough to handle it. But yes one needs to be through with the Articles and concepts. I did not like the scenario questions a bit and it required a quite lot of attention and concentration to understand each question. I grew tired in between the exam and started marking incorrect answers. Luckily I finished little early so could check and correct. Anyways it was a great experience all throughout.

Good luck to you all.
  • OsmanUKOsmanUK Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have the official CIPP/E book electronically that they don't need? I would like to buy it, because they charge so much for the book on their site.
  • TightTeeShirtTightTeeShirt Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited December 2019
    I know this thread is about the exam but something I want to bring to light now that I’ve passed are the CPE credits.

you need to acquire 20 over a 2 year period to keep your exam valid. I went to an knowledgenet discussion at my local chapter and it was good for 1 credit and there seem to be MAYBE 4 or 5 meetings a year.

i don’t like how I’m forced to regularly attend $1,000 conferences if I want to keep my certification. Frankly it seems like an obnoxious money grab and quite shitty. There should be other options
  • ca01eica01ei Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ipiyali said:
    Dear Colleagues,

Happy to share that I cleared the exam yesterday at my first attempt. The score is 86/87/88 with total of 413. This thread helped me a lot to understand how to approach the exam. However I also got too much anxious with each review from the members. I postponed the exam a couple of times and finally yesterday cleared it at a go and the questions did not seem so tough as I thought it would be.

I had only studied the GDPR text and the official book. If I look back at yesterday's question pattern I think the GDPR text is good enough to handle it. But yes one needs to be through with the Articles and concepts. I did not like the scenario questions a bit and it required a quite lot of attention and concentration to understand each question. I grew tired in between the exam and started marking incorrect answers. Luckily I finished little early so could check and correct. Anyways it was a great experience all throughout.

Good luck to you all.
    Hi ipiyali
    Did you use the 2nd edition of the text book? I've purchased the 1st edition, but don't know the differences between these two editions.
  • ipiyaliipiyali Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I had used both the first edition and the second edition. The language of the chapters are the same except in some cases where they have updated the current scenarios.
    Please compare the index of the old version and the new version which is available in IAPP website as sample. This should give you a fair idea.
  • cherrybhatnagarcherrybhatnagar Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    senwar said:
    riverstyx wrote: »
    Congratulations on passing, senwar, CIPP/E! Ha!

I sat the exam in French (because I speak enough to get by and it was only $100!) about 10 days ago and am awaiting my results. I wasn't aware of the three domains (I'd studied based on the 18 sub-domains), but, given that Domain #2 is "European Data Protection Law and Regulation," which is, arguably, the one that really matters, I suppose it makes sense that they'd be sticklers for that one.

Congratulations once again--with both the CIPP/E and the CIPM, you're probably in a pretty good position to take on some DPO work!

By the way, how was the CIPM? How did you prepare for it?

Hi riverstyx - apologies for the late reply and thanks for your comments.

For the CIPM I used the books from the IAPP course (privacy programme management and privacy foundation) and to be honest, have a lot of background knowledge on programme management as it is in other areas. I do feel that 90% of the theory is the same whether security, continuity or programme so this helped me (I've implemented continuity programmes before).

Looking back I think I was lucky in a way as perhaps I was a little too sure of myself for the CIPM but did get through. My CIPP/E experiences has certainly changed how I'll approach future exams.

I didn't find the CIPM one hard but strangely I found the first CIPP/E exam easier - yet I failed!

I'm on the CIPT course this week so will hopefully be registering for that exam at some point in the next few months too.
    Hi Senwar, how many hours (approx) did you put in for the exam? Thanks