Please help. Cert advice needed

appleCIDRappleCIDR Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I was able to get my SSCP a few months back thanks to the fine folks here at techexams. I have about 8 months of part time experience in InfoSec. I have been itching to take another cert exam, and was wondering which of the following certs would be most beneficial when I move on to a full time NetSec role.

1. Wireshark Certified Network Analyst (Really cool cert, but I wasn't sure how useful it would be)
2. CCENT -> CCNA Security
3. Cybersec First Responder
4. GIAC Security Essentials (GSEC) - Hopefully I can get someone to sponsor this for me :)
5. CWSP® - Certified Wireless Security Professional - Can tie in very well with Wireshark

Please feel free to suggest any other certs that may be worth pursuing as well.

Comments

• Jaydel.LeachJaydel.Leach Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depends on whether you want to go government. CCNA security and GSEC are good ones as it allows you to be eligible for certain jobs in the government sector.

Can I add to your list. disregard if you have it.

6. CEH
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GSEC would be good. I'm hoping someone will foot the bill for you. Good luck!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would suggest the Wireshark one. It is not recognized but you have a SSCP. You will get a lot of bang for your buck learning some packet analysis. Then I would do the CCNA. These are the least cost to you but will make you a stronger Security Professional
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would suggest the Wireshark one. It is not recognized but you have a SSCP. You will get a lot of bang for your buck learning some packet analysis. Then I would do the CCNA. These are the least cost to you but will make you a stronger Security Professional

I agree with supa...this is your best value.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With your goal being network security I'd say CCENT/CCNA-Sec would be the next step and then maybe CSA+ and if you get your employer to pay maybe GSEC/GCIH.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With your goal being network security I'd say CCENT/CCNA-Sec would be the next step and then maybe CSA+ and if you get your employer to pay maybe GSEC/GCIH.

I think the idea is least cost since they are part time and no one to sponsor right now.
    I
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • appleCIDRappleCIDR Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Depends on whether you want to go government. CCNA security and GSEC are good ones as it allows you to be eligible for certain jobs in the government sector.

Can I add to your list. disregard if you have it.

6. CEH

CEH is a really lucrative cert that I definitely intend to get in the near future. From what I have heard, it is a stepping stone towards the OSCP. Thank you for your suggestions!
    I agree with supa...this is your best value.
    supasecuritybro

Thank you! That seems like the most feasible route.
    E Double U wrote: »
    GSEC would be good. I'm hoping someone will foot the bill for you. Good luck!

Thank you. Hopefully a magnanimous employer will come along and bless me with a GSEC/GCIH sponsorship