Options

7th year

dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
It's been 7 years since my first job in IT. Started 2 weeks after my son was born. I was pretty frantic earlier in my career. Rushing to get back to where I was before the career switch. Now I'm comfortable with where I am. I recently told my boss I'm not looking to move up anymore. Moving up just means more travel, more responsibilities, minimal pay increase, and a very tedious promotion process.

Any other TE member not interested in further promotion?
2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
"Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Well....I'd be happy if I am at a place more than 3 years and can learn new technologies.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cbdudekcbdudek Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not being interested in further promotion doesn't mean that you aren't interested in learning new things. Part of the lure of IT is learning new technologies. Staying relevant in IT requires you to learn new technologies.

I have been in IT for over 20 years. When I started out, I wanted to be a manager. I worked my way all the way up to a Director of IT. Then, after being in that role for 6 years, I took a step back into a technical role as a Sales Engineer. I didn't hate management, but after sitting stagnant in management for a while I thought it was time to get back into tech. Now I find myself to be a lot more comfortable talking to other directors, managers, and leadership about technology solutions because I used to be in that role. I really have no interest in moving up either at this time, but I am always going to have a bug to keep advancing my skills.
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I never cared much about titles, to be honest. So far the idea of management hasn't interested me. As far as promotion, I wouldn't mind getting to a "lead" level.

Unless something in me changes, I'll always want to be in a position that allows me to keep learning/keep up with technologies.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    We have the same - 7 years.

I was used to my current job until I got a big offer. I start my new job on monday.

Im currently studying INE CCIE DC workbooks just work the job. VMware soon... I refused to take CCIE lab test again. I know how much sacrifice to get another one.

My new pay is actually in a C level (more than my current CIO is making). Per salary range, I maxed out. I think my next move after DC is CISSP and MBA if I dont start a business. Im thinking I am done after those. Although, I feel that taking a break will make me irrelevant. Maybe this is the CCIE, PTSD?

The technology changes 300mph. Im currently moving 50mph.
    You see changes everyday from data center, wireless, RS, Security, and collaboration . Add all the IP services that its running with it.

Truthfully, Im tired studying. I want to jump to management. Although, I think management could be a dangerous move. There is so much politics in there. I believe there is a demand for "hungry to learn engineers that has years of experience and top level certs".
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I tried the "I don't wanna move up anymore/happy with my current situation" mindset..I didn't last....if you find a great environment then great!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I’m nowhere near where I want to be pay wise, so I’m still looking to move up. I pretty much started over a few years ears ago and I’m just now almost back to what I was making before I changed career paths.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would say this: If the only options to "move up" in your company are to sacrifice work/life balance, travel more, etc, you might be in the wrong company. Nothing against your companybut they probably have a limited ceiling. For some companies, moving up doesn't mean you have to go to management. For some, it could be architect roles, moving to a business unit, pre-sales, etc and some companies or part of that company will have more or less travel or weird schedules.

An example of this is something that happened to me last year: I got a promotion to a specialized position with a SIZEABLE raise and I was traveling almost 6 months+ out of the year. I decided I couldn't do that anymore and made a lateral move to another part of the business (same job title, pay, etc) and have had 5 days of travel since I began that position and mostly working at home. I've also been offered different non-public facing roles that would have been under 20% travel but literally skipping a level up and having a BIG jump. It all depends so I wouldn't cut out moving up but maybe in the capacity in which you can at your current company.

I also probably wouldn't tell your boss that you're not interested in moving up or that you want to be a lifer in your current position. You could tell him some aspirations you have professionally or in regards to education without pointing out a job title you want at THAT company. Being somewhat motivated and ambitious - even if you secretly know it's not for that SPECIFIC company - will help you around raise time more than potentially giving him an excuse to not give you a raise.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    @Iris,

I actually looked around other departments, other companies, and they weren't appealing. Wife and I have a 10 year plan (retire in 10 years), and getting few promotions or switching companies won't make much of a difference in our plan.

As for telling my boss no on promotion, it's not as bad as it sounds. He knows the promotion process is screwed up and many (including myself) have voices strong objections to it.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've been out of the military for about seven years now so fairly even time lines. I'm kind of in the same boat too. Doing high level architecture has me content for the time being. I work from home, very small level of customer interaction, don't travel more than a few times a year (unless I want to), and get paid pretty damn well. Getting to play with a lot of the newest tech keeps the job from boring me like most have in the past. Without going into management most career moves would be fairly horizontal. Maybe I'll change my mind in a couple years, but right now I'm fine where I'm at.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dave330i wrote: »
    It's been 7 years since my first job in IT. ... Now I'm comfortable with where I am. I recently told my boss I'm not looking to move up anymore. Moving up just means more travel, more responsibilities, minimal pay increase, and a very tedious promotion process.

The thing I fear about being "comfortable" is if you ever get fired or laid-off from your job, your skills may be outdated in the job market. I used to have a comfortable job, and life was good, till it wasn't. I never want to be in the position again.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Get comfortable in a position that allows you to continue to grow your skill set with new technologies. Problem solved!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    The thing I fear about being "comfortable" is if you ever get fired or laid-off from your job, your skills may be outdated in the job market. I used to have a comfortable job, and life was good, till it wasn't. I never want to be in the position again.

My job is to architect SDDC for customers. I'm constantly learning and updating my skills.
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    @Iris,

I actually looked around other departments, other companies, and they weren't appealing. Wife and I have a 10 year plan (retire in 10 years), and getting few promotions or switching companies won't make much of a difference in our plan.

As for telling my boss no on promotion, it's not as bad as it sounds. He knows the promotion process is screwed up and many (including myself) have voices strong objections to it.

My wife and I are working in that same mind set, retiring asap and 10 years will probably do it. We moved to Myrtle Beach, SC where the cost of living is very low, changed up having the big house into a doublewide and we can support ourselves on very little, save a lot and enjoy nice weather and the beach now instead of hoping neither of us get sick or worse.

I had a job I felt very comfortable in awhile back, making the most money I've ever made, and the company culture was totally awesome. Then one day some consultants came in and the good life ended and the job became unbearable with threats to fire us constantly looming overhead it was literally like being under the whip of a task master. Thats the second time in my life "consultants" ruined my job.