Options

eLearningSecurity Certification Before OSCP

So i started doing my prestudying for OSCP.... (which i posted in my past thread).
What I found was that even through I was learning a lot, I did did not feel I will still prepared to take the OSCP.

I signed up for there PTS course... and I am half way through it. I have been impressed with course, especially with the Labs, and how they "spoon feed" you the information in a way you can "absorb and retain" the knowledge.

I will be signing up for there PTP course, and possibly the PTX course after which gets released next week.

The only negative I have seen far, is the cost of doing the eLearningSecurity course, but at the end of the day...i am getting the knowledge which i need to be pentester. I also believe after the PTP/PTX course, I will feel way more prep to tackle the OSCP.

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I'm doing the same as well, keep us posted with progress! I'm planning to nail those certs some time next year (first half of the year)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    vynxvynx Member Posts: 153 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i take ejpt then take oscp, it is ok ...
  • Options
    katawiakatawia Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PTS->PTX(depending on syllabus/content)->OSCP

Why?

My take is simple...I'm not in a rush to get a certification. I want to understand what I'm doing and reduce the stress at the time of studying, taking the OSCP and other certs and working in the IT Security industry. YMMV but a cert is the end product. What about the journey, the content and understanding what one is doing so that during interviews and while working on the job it does Not become intimidating, boring or the expression of frustration of what one is doing.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I totally get what you're saying katawia. Getting the cert is awesome but having commanding of knowledge/skills is awesome! I tell people from time to time, it's better to have command of something compared to have working knowledge.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I totally get what you're saying katawia. Getting the cert is awesome but having commanding of knowledge/skills is awesome! I tell people from time to time, it's better to have command of something compared to have working knowledge.

I couldn't agree more. I'm also working on eJPT, and I've found myself going beyond what they teach in the labs. I want to know more about how these tools work and what I can do with them. So it's taking me longer, but I really want to learn more. I'm reinforcing the eJPT materials with training on Cybrary, Udemy, and YouTube, and it's making a difference for me.
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    I got an email from eLS about a new pentesting module. That could be something to look at, 10/24.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    dr_fsmodr_fsmo Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When do you plan to start the actual OSCP course? Have you joined the slack group for the OSCP?
  • Options
    I got an email from eLS about a new pentesting module. That could be something to look at, 10/24.

Are you referring to Penetration Testing eXtreme? I'm sitting in on that webinar tomorrow. Should be good.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tedjames wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. I'm also working on eJPT, and I've found myself going beyond what they teach in the labs. I want to know more about how these tools work and what I can do with them. So it's taking me longer, but I really want to learn more. I'm reinforcing the eJPT materials with training on Cybrary, Udemy, and YouTube, and it's making a difference for me.

Thats good!!!!

I wish that I could focus on the tools but I'm doing a little too much at the moment. It's a pain in the butt trying to cover different things of infosec.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Thats good!!!!

I wish that I could focus on the tools but I'm doing a little too much at the moment. It's a pain in the butt trying to cover different things of infosec.

Yeah, inch deep and 500 miles wide or something like that. It's to keep from going down a rabbit hole. Sometimes, though, just watching a video will suffice when you don't have enough time for a full lesson.