Options

New to Security+

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I recently got myself TestOut's Security+ software.

I am fairly new to Security+ and new to Security for that matter.

Just a quick and general question, should I wait until I'm in an organization until I even start to learn about this certification? Or should I study like a "bat-out-of-hell" and try to pass this certification, with little to no security job experience?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As I read through the different Security+ books and practice questions, I don't see anything in there that you can't actually learn from just good old fashioned studying. They want to know general theory stuff.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You already have A+ and Net+....as sprkymrk said it's nothing good old fashioned studying cant be accomplished. I passed the Security+ test before I took the network+ (only because they were changing the objectives for net+ at the time and I wanted to be current).

The pass/fail line for Security+ is much higher than Network+ so you have to study hard (especially with Comptia's infamous VAGUE questions) but if you put the time in you can do it.

The technotes here are EXCELLENT!!! Along with Syngress and EC2 practice test books (thats what i used) you should succeed

good luck
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    jamesisonlinejamesisonline Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yea the vague questions are irritating to me on the comptia exams i've taken. i knew the material, but they sometime leave out key details that make an answer easier to pick in an actual work environment.
    "Adaptation means not clinging to fixed methods, but changing appropriately according to events, acting as is suitable."
    -Zhang Yu