Options

16 months preparing for the CCNA and counting

kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
I started studying for the CCNA Dec 04. I've spent a lot of time and money preparing for the exam. A few things over the past few months
have happened in my life and as a result I have slacked off on the studying. I was prepared for this exam a few months back but I never took the exam. Now i'm trying to get hit the books again but i'm having a hard time organizing my thoughts and concentrating, any suggestions?
By now i've probably set the record for the longest CCNA preperation but i really don't care I just want to get it done. I hate
to move on to something else without finishing what I started.

-k

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Book an exam date and get your arse in gear, your taking the relaxed approach at the moment,if you can focus and put in a good couple of weeks
    study in you should be set.If you continue to study in the same relaxed manner you'll be writing a similar thread in another 6 months.

Start on ISDN as its probably the most boring and once you conquer this the rest will be more enjoyable.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    I'm in the same boat, I really have to schedule my exam.

The question now is, when should I schedule the exam? 3 weeks? 4 weeks?

I've studied w/test out's CCNA software. I now have to review all my weak points and finally just take the exam.

How much time should I give myself for this?
  • Options
    I will book an exam date this week.

thanks,

-k
  • Options
    SandwichesSandwiches Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

Let me tell you how sweet it will be when you get this off your back. 16 months of preperation - how good will it feel to nail it! Get motivated, get psyched - and go and smash CCNA. Kick it right in the nuts!

If you have been looking at the material, on again, off again, for over a year you should be familiar with most of the topics - all it's gonna take is applying yourself for a week or two and sitting the exam. If you fail, go back the next week, and again til you get this nailed. I fluffed around with my exam for a while, then I said to myself I just wanna get this out the way - and that's what I did. If I can do it, believe me so can you!

Go for it...!
  • Options
    i'm dying to kick the ccna in the nuts. All i needed for a little pep talk. Thanks sandwich i'm all pumped up again.

-k
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    You should read my thread about preparing for the CCNA, theres some info there for you. If you need any help PM me :D
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    RUN-DMCRUN-DMC Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    KADSHAH-

dude- too weird. I too started studying in Dec. 04 myself right after Net +, i went to a CCNA boot camp and was rocking and rolling. Then I bought a house (renovated it too) and got married. My studies went on the back burner but I finally now have benn getting back into gear. But we have been SLACKING.

Is the best thing to do,,,, is set a date? I feel like I'm forced and locked in.
    I know it depends on the person, the knowledge and study habits but should I schedule a test date for like 3 months ahead, 6 months??
  • Options
    modem hump - could you post a link to your preparation tips? i looked but didnt catch it..thanks dude
  • Options
    It took me 3 months start to finish to get my CCNA. But remember that I was completely new at this.

Here is the thread, I would suggest reading the entire thing:)

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14354
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    thanks hump.

what track are you on now?
  • Options
    hump- also, do you work with cisco equipemnt everyday??

i do very minimal at my work but have a nice lab setup in my offive.
  • Options
    I am buying books for my BSCI exam in a few months, I am starting to work towards my CCNP, then CCIP.

I used Cisco equipment all day long at work, but it was pretty much just network troubleshooting and putting our devices on TACACS+ (I am only 20 years old after all, gotta start somewhere ;)) . I have a fairly large home lab:

3 Cisco 1720's
    2 Cisco 1721's
    2 Cisco 2912's
    2 Cisco 2500 series
    2 Cisco 4000's
    and the newest member of the family: Cisco 805 (lol).

Work gave me everything but the Cisco switches, I bought those from ciscokits.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RUN-DMC wrote:

Is the best thing to do,,,, is set a date? I feel like I'm forced and locked in.
    I know it depends on the person, the knowledge and study habits but should I schedule a test date for like 3 months ahead, 6 months??

I find setting a date is a big motivation drive.Usually in every exam there is a topic or two that i avoid like the plague out of sheer boredom.In the CCNA this was ISDN in BSCI these were IPv6 and ISIS.
    So usually i will over study other topics while avoiding these sleepy topics.
    Now as soon as i book an exam, say 2 weeks in advance,for some reason i can focus that little bit more on the sleepy topics.Once i get them down i do a complete review.During this 2 week period i tell everyone that i have an exam, this is to put myself under more pressure to study and so they dont bother me.The day before the exam if im not 100% ready i'll reshedule the exam to give myself the usual 2 extra days study.
    Reshuduling exams pisses me off so much, it kicks me into maniac study mode.If i could maintain this study mode i could probably pass all exams in under a week.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    good for you hump---nice to hear and see the motivation in a young lad-(Pun intened ed the lad :P ) Good work dude.
  • Options
    I personally study better under pressure so I will schedule a test date
    for mid June that gives me 4 weeks to prepare. If I schedule for 3 months I'll just be slacking off again. Guys thanks for your input
    it's got me up and running. :D

-k