Certificates for sysadmin?

denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
What are the best certificates to get for becoming a systems admin? I am assuming getting the mcsa server 2012 is a good idea. Should I also get the mcsa windows 10? What else, network+ maybe?

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Are you interested in just Windows Servers? if so, yes do that. If you are interested in Linux servers etc, get certs in that as well....
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you interested in just Windows Servers? if so, yes do that. If you are interested in Linux servers etc, get certs in that as well....

What linux certificates are there? Also do you recommend the mcsa windows 10,8 or 7? Are they more or less the same?
  • NuclearBeavisNuclearBeavis Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    denis92 wrote: »
    What linux certificates are there?

RHCSA/RHCE are probably the most recognized.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MCSA/MCSE for Systems Admin in the Windows world!! :)

You probably wouldn't need Windows 8/10 certs since those align more with a Desktop Support role or maybe at an ISP working on specific technologies possibly...
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • PunctuationMarkPunctuationMark Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For low-experience sysadmins who want to get into cloud computing, you think it's better to do the MCSA: Server 2016 and then take a cloud elective for the MCSE, or get the MCSA: Cloud Platform and do all cloud exams to get the MCSE?

I know it's fewer exams to the MCSE going the cloud platform route, but so far as learning material goes, not sure if going all cloud would leave me some knowledge gaps in the Windows Server area.
  • denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCSA/MCSE for Systems Admin in the Windows world!! :)

You probably wouldn't need Windows 8/10 certs since those align more with a Desktop Support role or maybe at an ISP working on specific technologies possibly...

which version of mcsa would you suggest?2012, since the 2016 is kind of new?
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For Linux, Linux+ is a great place to start. You can go from there into
    a) Junior System Admin role (Preferable, if you can find it.)
    b) RHCSA (Practical exam means you should be serious about this, or have an employer who will send you)
    c) LinuxFoundation LFCA? (Practical exam means you should be serious about this, or have an employer who will send you)

For Windows systems administration, you want to decide if you want to be more desktop focused (desktop versions but also things like SCCM) or servers and pursue appropriately.

You probably will run into virtualization at some point, and having taken courses/training with something like VMWare would be beneficial.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    denis92 wrote: »
    which version of mcsa would you suggest?2012, since the 2016 is kind of new?

I would personally recommend Server 2012 since support is still widely adopted and training materials are plentiful in acquiring the certification. The software is also supposed to be in support till 2023.

Server 2016 has some nice features but I think needs some time to be cert ready in my opinion.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The MCSA 2016 is new and most companies haven't even begun deploying Server 2016 yet. However, I will say that the 2016 content does overlap quite a bit with the Server 2012 content. There were some big changes between 2012 (R2) and Server 2016 but not so much that every exam question needs an overhaul.

I think recruiters are more interested in 2012 skills than 2016 right now so you would probably be best served to go with Server 2012. Either way, I think you are going to be in good shape.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • majorpaynemajorpayne Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think MCSA 2012 is better option since companies are still migrating servers from 2008 to 2012 R2. 2016 servers are normally non-citrical servers in my opinion that people are implementing in their organizations.