Options

Back on the cert train... RHCSA > RHCE Plan

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
All,

Starting a thread for accountability for my RedHat Certs. I am dreaming that I want to get to Redhat Architect level. So the first step is bothering to get my RHCE then start in on the specializations. I had attempted RHCE under redhat 6 a few years ago, but was disappointed when I failed and never returned to the cert.

Experience
8+ Years of Linux with various levels of shell scripting
5+ Years Puppet
5+ Years jboss
5+ Years on OS hardening
10+ Years in charge of provisioning and patching
1+ Year in Containerized environments

Existing Related Certifications
Linux+
LPIC-1
RHCSA 6.x

Existing Formal Training
Classes on managing Linux for PCI
Various SANS Courses in Hardening/Attacking Linux
RHCSA+RHCE Redhat 5x Bootcamp
RHCSA Redhat 6.x Bootcamp
RHCSA+RHCE Redhat 7 bootcamp

My battle plan is a to complete the training for LFCE on pluralsight.com, and LPIC-2 passively as a review cover any gaps or commands or options that I've forgotten over the years. Then use "Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) Complete Video Course with Virtual Machines" series on Safaribooks.com for formal test prep. As always labs lab labs along the way.
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    Day 1 -
    A lot commands I don't normally use and have never configured Linux to be vlan aware before. Spent time trying to get my head around firewalld vs iptables commands and use cases. Got a little obsessive on making a tool to prevent myself from using legacy commands.

- Completed LFCE: Advanced Linux Networking on pluralsight.com
    - Managed about 4 hours of Linux networking labs
    - ipables v firewalld
    - nat
    - network fundamentals review
    - new CentOS7 commands vs older ones
    - Getting comfortable with KVM and Oracle Virtual Box (I use Vmware at work)
    - Created about 40 flashcards of config files and commands I didn't have memorized
    -Daniel
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm following this thread :) you sound like you have alot of Linux experience. I'm Noway on your level but am passionate about Linux and Red Hat.

I'm working my way through basic videos on Linux Academy. I have read RHCSA materials but I get to SElinux and my head explodes 😀

Nice thread I will be following progress. You should write a blog on stuff you learn I'd read it.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Day 2, 10/29 -

Ended up realizing I completely don't remember how udev and what not work. I must have at some point. But drawing a blank now. Decided to go back and watch Linux+ videos on cbtnuggets.com as a review while I did the dishes. Was a nice solid hour long review.

From there, I updated a number of person scripts from using older bash style and older Cento6 and older style commands to the modern ones, just to get me some hands on time with the new commands.

So hour videos, hour hands on today. Will try and finish Linux+ review by end of the week. Also for anyone wanting some solid BASH scripting style check this out - https://google.github.io/styleguide/shell.xml . Already talked to some coworkers and we're moving to this.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've been lurking here everyday, and the forum wasn't alive until you chimed in. I'm see you're very good at this self-accountability thing as I haven't updated my thread in months due to keep getting sidetracked. Although I'm making progress but being totally disorganized at it.

Keep up the good work. I like reading your posts. You really put a lot of efforts in your progress. I didn't realize how tasteless my bash scripting style was until now you posted it. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Good luck to you Daniel. Feel free to ask questions where you get stuck as I've gone through a lot of LPIC-2, LFCE and RHCE training materials. RHCE is a great investment; I've literally skipped technical interviews in my past two positions because of it and have made a serious ROI as well.
  • Options
    vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have to agree with HiddenKnight...it's nice to see someone like you posting this here. I'm studying for the RHCSA as well. I'm hoping I can get it done within 3 months.
  • Options
    ky13ky13 Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you have your 5 CoE picked out?
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    ky13 wrote: »
    Do you have your 5 CoE picked out?

OP didn't say he was going for RHCA.
  • Options
    ky13ky13 Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    OP didn't say he was going for RHCA.

He did in the first post :)
  • Options
    lovejoilovejoi Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hello, I have several question:

why you do not use linux academy?
    where you creating your labs?
  • Options
    So heads up here, company did mass layoffs followed by a loss in my family. Looking at getting into the cert game again though pretty soon. Just not sure RHCE/RHCA are what are the best uses of my time right now.
    -Daniel