Failed CISSP - 10/31/2017

15TVeteran15TVeteran Posts: 12Member ■■□□□□□□□□
I took CISSP the second time today and failed with 669, in my earlier attempt i scored 630.

I have been using Shon Harris 7th edition and 11th Hour Eric Conrad.

Not sure how to motivate myself to go for it the third time icon_sad.gif

Comments

  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Posts: 1,535Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    How much experience do you have?

    Sometimes switching to another cert and then coming back can help relieve the stress.
  • stryder144stryder144 Posts: 1,489Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    To riff off of what TechGuru80 said, maybe look into studying for the CASP exam. It will give you a different look (angle, if you will) on the material.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

    Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Posts: 136Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    15TVeteran wrote: »
    I took CISSP the second time today and failed with 669, in my earlier attempt i scored 630.

    I have been using Shon Harris 7th edition and 11th Hour Eric Conrad.

    Not sure how to motivate myself to go for it the third time icon_sad.gif

    how long did you study before 1st attempt? and the 2nd attempt? are you just reading or are you taking notes? i high encourage you to sign up for quizlet (free) and organize your thoughts/concepts/definitions. also what simulators did you use? if you didn't you should spend the money on one
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Posts: 155Member
    15TVeteran wrote: »
    I took CISSP the second time today and failed with 669, in my earlier attempt i scored 630.

    I have been using Shon Harris 7th edition and 11th Hour Eric Conrad.

    Not sure how to motivate myself to go for it the third time icon_sad.gif

    I think you should probably broaden your study materials, maybe add another book to the mix which could explain the concepts from a different perspective. I am an advocate for Shon Harris' books, but maybe they aren't cutting it for you.

    Continue to persevere, have a read of these past posts, I hope you find some inspiration there...

    http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/121321-third-times-charm-passed-cissp.html

    http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/87109-5th-time.html

    Never give up!
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Posts: 1,452Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try Darril Gibson's Sybex book..I think the Shon Harris one is outdated for the new exam and the Conrad probably isn't deep enough for you.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • prindpaprindpa Posts: 4Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't be disheartened, be positive and think that you can surely pass this time.
    now you have 3 months time and focus on it from the day one.

    As per your result sheet, check which are your weaker domains and focus on those domains first. use multiple resources and understand the concept and do as many questions you can. Always use different question banks and understand why your answer is right or wrong.


    BTW, whatever you read now it will not go in vain. As Cissp course overlaps with CEH, CISA, CISM. and you can clear all these exams easily.
  • KelkinKelkin Posts: 261Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's all about prospective.. You only fail ive you stop trying..
  • mstd0nmstd0n Posts: 63Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Really sorry to hear that. Did you feel like the questions were vastly different than your first attempt, or were your weak areas still struggling a bit?

    I sit for my second attempt this Saturday (Nov. 4) after missing it with a 695. People say I should feel more confident second time through, but I think I'm more nervous this time.
  • 15TVeteran15TVeteran Posts: 12Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    How much experience do you have?

    Sometimes switching to another cert and then coming back can help relieve the stress.


    I have about 8 years of experience in IT, about 2-3 years in InfoSec. Yeah been thinking of maybe doing CISA or CISM first,
  • 15TVeteran15TVeteran Posts: 12Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    For the first attempt i studied for about 3-4 months , mainly weekends and few hours through the week. For 2nd attempt I continued on for another 3 months, this time i really put in more time during the weekdays and pretty much all of weekends. Quizzes i just did what Shon Harris book has test for each domain and then i full test on Udemy and Shon
  • 15TVeteran15TVeteran Posts: 12Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try Darril Gibson's Sybex book..I think the Shon Harris one is outdated for the new exam and the Conrad probably isn't deep enough for you.
    Sure will try Darril Gibson's Sybex book
  • 15TVeteran15TVeteran Posts: 12Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    prindpa wrote: »
    Don't be disheartened, be positive and think that you can surely pass this time.
    now you have 3 months time and focus on it from the day one.

    As per your result sheet, check which are your weaker domains and focus on those domains first. use multiple resources and understand the concept and do as many questions you can. Always use different question banks and understand why your answer is right or wrong.


    BTW, whatever you read now it will not go in vain. As Cissp course overlaps with CEH, CISA, CISM. and you can clear all these exams easily.

    Thanks for boosting my morale, ironically the four weak domains that i got in my first attempt, on which i spent pretty much most of time, i got the same domains as my weak domains again. While giving exam the second I felt like I was doing well but result was on contrary. Well i will probably try to use another book or another resource.
  • 15TVeteran15TVeteran Posts: 12Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    mstd0n wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that. Did you feel like the questions were vastly different than your first attempt, or were your weak areas still struggling a bit?

    I sit for my second attempt this Saturday (Nov. 4) after missing it with a 695. People say I should feel more confident second time through, but I think I'm more nervous this time.

    You were really close the first time...Well all the best to you for your second attempt. Its right that you will definitely more confident while answering during your second attempt. You might even see some ques again that you saw the first time.

    The questions were not very different from my first attempt and I really felt very confident while answering this time and thought i was doing great. I got the same domains as my weakest the second as well so not sure.
  • 15TVeteran15TVeteran Posts: 12Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Kelkin wrote: »
    It's all about prospective.. You only fail ive you stop trying..

    Thanks for your encouraging words, will see n check what other resource should i use and make a strategy to go forward with it.
  • 15TVeteran15TVeteran Posts: 12Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Z0sickx wrote: »
    how long did you study before 1st attempt? and the 2nd attempt? are you just reading or are you taking notes? i high encourage you to sign up for quizlet (free) and organize your thoughts/concepts/definitions. also what simulators did you use? if you didn't you should spend the money on one
    For the first attempt i studied for about 3-4 months , mainly weekends and few hours through the week. For 2nd attempt I continued on for another 3 months, this time i really put in more time during the weekdays and pretty much all of weekends. Quizzes i just did what Shon Harris book has test for each domain and then i full test on Udemy and Shon.

    If you dont mind, can you please suggest some good quizzes or question bank that i can use
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Posts: 1,452Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Sybex test engine was the best for me. I didn't like CCCure. You may also want to watch Kelly Handorhan's videos. They are free and well worth your time. Keep at it! Really looking forward to seeing you post your CISSP PASS!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • massiramonesmassiramones Posts: 57Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the fail , bro, I understand you as I failed also .
    Do not give up. I ' m gonna try my luck before the end of the year. Thanks to all the friends in this forum you will find the good and positive strenght.
    Goodluck
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Posts: 398Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 on Kelly Handerhan's videos on Cybrary
  • DonJuan692006DonJuan692006 Posts: 5Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 more for Kelly's video series. Taking a break is probably wise. I had a co-worker put himself through the ringer studying for months before taking his the first time and he bombed it (he also had 20+ years experience). He took a year off and went back for his retake (voucher was going to expire) with no additional studying and passed. It definitely helps to clear your head and decompress.
  • NuclearBeavisNuclearBeavis Posts: 79Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Planning on taking CISSP next year. I've gone through Kelly Handerhan's CISSP videos and she's excellent. But probably one of the most useful tools to me for any exam I've taken is the Boson exam sim. The questions they use have always drilled down concepts in a much deeper way than videos or books did. While I haven't purchased Boson for CISSP yet, I definitely will when the time gets closer. Give them a try.

    CISSP Certification | Practice Exams & Training

    Note: Not a Boson sales rep :)
  • mritorto2mritorto2 Posts: 53Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    i think go for security + then sscp first. I would do at least the sscp since its related. I bet you can pass both now.
Sign In or Register to comment.