Options

Nailed the Security+ Exam last week!

Paulieb81Paulieb81 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
Last week I passed my Security+ exam with an 871! I was honestly a bit nervous as i wrapped up the exam as there were some simulations that had wording that was a bit confusing and I had to use my test taking skills to decipher what they were asking for. I guess I put those skills to work pretty well as I only missed a few points on the exam. The standard questions were also more involved than I expected based on the practice questions I saw online in various places.

The resources I used are the highly recommended Darril Gibson CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide book. It was a great buy at $9.99 for the kindle format on Amazon.

I also purchased the online full subscription to get Darril's audio files and online practice tests. I found his audio files helpful as I listened to them while on the way to work and back everyday for like two weeks @ 30 minutes each way. His practice test questions unfortunately are the same ones as the ones in his book, I really wish he had additional questions for a better value but oh well. His questions I felt helped a little however were not as difficult as the way the questions were worded on the exam. Without giving too much detail and breaking the NDA of the exam, I'd say to please make sure you understand the theory of the information you are learning, not just the nuts and bolts of the technology. You have to know when and why to implement the things you learn in the security+ as many questions I faced were based around both the what and why/when theory.

I also went through two Udemy video courses:
  1. IT Security Fundamentals: CompTIA Security+ 2015 from LearnSmart
  2. CompTIA Security+ training course from Infinite Skills
I found both courses to be pretty good as a review and supplemental learning tool but I would NOT rely on them as a sole resource to learn the material. At $10 - $15 a piece when they are on sale, I would highly recommend both courses.

To give others a time frame reference, I began studying for this test once before but did not get far and set it down due to work demand. I got the notification that I had to renew my certs by the end of October or the A+ and Network+ would expire so I had a hard deadline to get my Security+ done. In a little over a months time, I read though the book and video courses listed above, however in my current role at work I deal with many of the aspects of what is taught in the Security+. For me, much of it was already material I knew. If I had to study this material from scratch and wasn't already comfortable with it, I feel it would have taken me probably 3 -4 months to absorb all the material and remember the small details to pass the exam.

Thank you to everyone who posts information in the thread of what materials helped them, I hope my long winded post helps others as well.
Going back to school to finish my B.S.
Goals for 2017: Security+, CCNA = NOT DONE YET
Goals for 2018: VCP6, PMI CAPM, ITIL, Six Sigma
... and when there is time: MCSE, CCNA Security

Comments

• Options
    KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congradulations! Hope i can get to that level someday soon in the near future!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • Options
    jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congratulations good sir!! :D
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    KatzmanJKatzmanJ Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!! Nice score and welcome to the club!! :)
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"