Options

Equivalent experience

denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have come across the phrase "equivalent experience" in lieu of degree and I was wondering what constitutes as equivalent experience. If I am applying for a sys admin role that says bachelors or equivalent experience and I have 4 years of work experience at help desk or desktop support would that qualify?

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sure, go ahead and apply for everything you're interested in and reasonably perform. I've never met all the requirements of a position and I think that's very common.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Equivalent experience is someone's opinion. No exact answer. Really though, apply to any job you would want to do and think you are able to do. It's not likely an employer will find someone that meets all their requirements. Good luck!
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Help desk would not really qualify as having sys admin experience unless you are doing a mix of responsibilities and or MCSA.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    Another question, when a company says Bachelors or Associates but doesn't specify the major does that mean they accept any major, basically just to make sure the person is college educated?
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    denis92 wrote: »
    Another question, when a company says Bachelors or Associates but doesn't specify the major does that mean they accept any major, basically just to make sure the person is college educated?

Common sense usually means a degree related to the field of the job or role. If its an IT role then it means an IT related degree.
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Common sense usually means a degree related to the field of the job or role. If its an IT role then it means an IT related degree.

I have heard many people say on this board that a degree is just a check mark, so I assumed when they simply say bachelors required any degree would do? anyone else?
  • Options
    What type of degree you have?

A lot of people in this forum are veterans in the field. The specialization and various specific IT degrees didnt exist 10 years ago thats why that verbiage in the job description existed, if you had a degree in math or statistics or accounting, engineering or something like that, chances are you could do IT.

With thw increase in demand and the creation of new IT degrees people now rather get someone that has a direct IT degree than someone that has an accounting or teaching degree.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of people in this forum are veterans in the field. The specialization and various specific IT degrees didnt exist 10 years ago thats why that verbiage in the job description existed, if you had a degree in math or statistics or accounting, engineering or something like that, chances are you could do IT.

Possibly correct for a Bachelor's degree but incorrect for an Associates. Community colleges have been offering degrees in Cisco and Microsoft technologies (that's the actual name of the degree) for 15-20 years now.
  • Options
    You might be right on that.
  • Options
    What type of degree you have?

With thw increase in demand and the creation of new IT degrees people now rather get someone that has a direct IT degree than someone that has an accounting or teaching degree.

I have a chemistry degree
  • Options
    denis92 wrote: »
    I have a chemistry degree

You can do better than general IT then. You just need to know where to look.

With all seriousness and this is my honest advice amd opinion do not limit your skills and knowledge to IT.

Look at artificial intelligence type of jobs, that is the future and that's where the opportunities will be.

With your degree you can work for big companies that are doing serious research in chemistry and biochemistry using Artificial Intelligence. It's a mix of IT, chemistry and a new field that will take this planet by storm.

Look for were the future jobs will be nit where the jobs were 5 years ago and where they are now or short term. Look long term.