Options

Finally, first interview next Tuesday

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
After 11 long months of zero interviews I finally land a face to face interview Tuesday. I received this in an e-mail from a recruiter. The name of the company is Computer Visionaries. What should I expect at this interview?

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]He stated that he is looking to hire for 2 Full Time positions:[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]SQL Trained Employee – does not need to have extensive SQL experience[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A tech with either field experience or an A+ Certification

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the interview. Do you have your resume posted online? If this is your first interview in 11 months, maybe time to move to an IT hub?
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Probably a lot of workstation questions, ping, tracert, add printers, etc. Good luck!

Also feel free to post a stripped down resume for critique in a new thread if you are applying to many but not getting many call backs.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I know that feeling. So glad for you! icon_smile.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    @Mikey Yes it is and I am saving money to potentially move. I also was hoping to get the Sec/Net and A+ certs done as well.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    @Scaredoftest thanks
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    After 11 long months of zero interviews I finally land a face to face interview Tuesday. I received this in an e-mail from a recruiter. The name of the company is Computer Visionaries. What should I expect at this interview?

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]He stated that he is looking to hire for 2 Full Time positions:[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]SQL Trained Employee – does not need to have extensive SQL experience[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A tech with either field experience or an A+ Certification

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

These resources should help:

Preparing for the Job Interview
    http://mikenation.net/files/Preparing_for_the_Job_Interview.pdf

Interview Questions and Answers - Tips and Tricks for Any Job Interview
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFuccORRQTo&list=PLNftqnrunKiG8RET_7h1H7h0ce2_mnqNj

Expect just aobut anything on your resume to turn into a question.

Tell me about your day at XYZ job.

Do these things
    -Research the position

-Research the company

-Have questions for the hiring manager.

-Know your strengths

-Know your weaknesses

One question you will probably get is tell me about yourself?

From the website:
    https://www.themuse.com/advice/a-simple-formula-for-answering-tell-me-about-yourself

“So, tell me about yourself.”

What seems like such a simple question can really make you sweat, especially in an interview. What, exactly, should you share—not just to build rapport, but to show that you’re the perfect fit for the job?

Fear not, job seekers: There’s a super-simple formula that will help you answer this question with ease. Watch this quick video as our CEO Kathryn Minshew gives a simple tip from our career expert Lily Zhang, then try it out for yourself!

(Can’t watch the video at work? Don’t worry—we’ve also copied the transcript below.)

Good Luck!!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Put your best effort forward and good luck OP!

One way to practice interviewing:

1. Put typical interview questions in a hat. "Tell me about yourself?", "What's your salary target?", etc.
    2. Draw one.
    3. Record yourself responding (using your laptop's webcam).

I did a one-way video interview recently. When you record yourself, you truly get to see how you respond. How you look, sound, and come across.

At first, I didn't like recording myself. I sounded nasally; took too long to think; etc. BUT, after practicing more and more, I saw that I was getting better. Saw what mannerisms I could try to reduce, like too many "Umms" and looking down when I'm thinking.

I did mock interviews before with someone, but I don't think they're as critical on you, as you are on yourself. Mock interviews are good though for getting third-person perspective.

Also, have your own questions to ask them:

Is this a new position or to fill an existing position?
    What projects do you have going on?
    What is the "typical" day like?
    What's the profile of the ideal candidate for this position?
    What's the next steps in the hiring process?
  • Options
    @networkingstudent thanks for the links and info checking them out sometime this week when I actually have time

@panther hmmmm, good idea