Options

Freelance Work.

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
If anyone is looking for freelance work besides upwork.com or fiverr.com; check out workmarket.com
Just got a $65 gig to install some memory on a server rack at the local Chuck E Cheese..

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Was the rack running out of memory?
  • Options
    Based on the instructions they gave. They gave step by step instructions with pictures.

Looks like it is a new install and the RAM was never installed or is missing.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since we are on it, are there any similar places where one can find higher level gigs that pay more for a proper skillset?
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This freelance economy will be the demise of many areas or jobs.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    This freelance economy will be the demise of many areas or jobs.

Yeah, probably something like Uber/Lyft, removing a middleman (in our case in a form of MSP/MSSP with all the salesmen, accounting and management).

Since the future is coming whether we want it or not we'd better prepare ourselves for it. Adjust to the environment or die.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It won't have much effect on infrastructure roles outside of technicians due to the length of time it takes to learn an environment and sensitive material. Development is a different story and freelance developers are common.

If available, there's been a few instances where I would call up a SME when vendor support failed. The few times I've worked with SME consultants, it's led to no results and the employer would have saved money and time to have me resolve it, which I eventually did when it became priority. This could be an issue in freelancing where SME's really aren't experts but they'd be held accountable by not getting paid for no resolution.

I'd also pay someone who likes to unrack and transport the products to a facility. Not my favorite thing and it would have saved money in the long run while giving someone an opportunity to earn money and experience. This would be a big positive in a freelance market as long as the pay is reasonable, say $30 per estimated hour for unracking. A full rack taking 2 people 2 hours = $120+mileage per rack. Unreasonable rates could be a big issue when people are desperate for money or experience, look at amazon turk, but it would be better than being unemployed.

Regarding the OP task, Chuck E Cheese likely would have to fly in a technician to install memory which would have been $100's. While Daniel was paid well and gained some tech experience, while possibly gaining a reference for future employment.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Regarding the OP task, Chuck E Cheese likely would have to fly in a technician to install memory which would have been $100's. While Daniel was paid well and gained some tech experience, while possibly gaining a reference for future employment.

This, much of the freelance work I do is stuff that seems like a lot of money for something simple, but as mentioned it would cost hundreds or more to fly someone in from corporate. Its win-win and it rarely requires a lot of skill or knowledge. You get on the line with the corporate tech support as soon as your on site and they walk you through most things. They just need a body at the site to push buttons and plug in wires.

In my case it works out good by giving me a good income per assignment and allows me a lot of free time to build my own company where I do the more technical work.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Daneil3144 wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for freelance work besides upwork.com or fiverr.com; check out workmarket.com
    Just got a $65 gig to install some memory on a server rack at the local Chuck E Cheese..

These jobs are good for a little extra money, but at the end of the day they don't pay the technician for their skills. I have seen these jobs posted often and the prices are very low. $50.00 to fix a computer. This is a flat rate

$100 to setup a Network...bring your own cable.

Often gas isn't reimbursed
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »

Shame I can't put the experience on my resume or linkedin :P
    These jobs are good for a little extra money, but at the end of the day they don't pay the technician for their skills. I have seen these jobs posted often and the prices are very low. $50.00 to fix a computer. This is a flat rate

$100 to setup a Network...bring your own cable.

Often gas isn't reimbursed

Funny you should mention that. It's my first time using the site and I was talking to a few other techs, and I short changed myself. I found out later where I can bid higher than what they are hiring. It's probably the deciding factor of why they gave me the job not even 24 hours of me applying for it.
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wonder if these guys do the UK. Handy for some spare cash when bored.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    pierrevillerespierrevilleres Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Out of the three upwork.com , fiverr.comor workmarket.com, which one has more freelance work available for IT?
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Out of the three .... which one has more freelance work available for IT?

Why do your links have Facebook redirects in them? Is that some sort of affiliate marketing tagging?

Anyways - I can't speak from a freelancer point of view but I can offer what I do when I am seeking to hire freelancers. Whenever I am looking for a tech freelancer, my first stop is Upwork. If I'm looking for marketing or content development help, I tend to favor fiverr. And for graphic design freelancers, I always use 99designs.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Upwork looks great! I can see my data skills are being sought after....

Thanks again!
  • Options
    jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A few years ago I did a couple of gigs for workmarket/Onforce. One job was literally to help a tech unbox and setup a plotter. $60 for 20mins of work lol.