Options

70-643 or start over with 2016 certifications

CzarfaceCzarface Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good afternoon,

My name is Boris and I'm 26 years old. I would like to continue to obtain Microsoft certifications but I have some troubles finding the right path. At the end of last year, after studying for a long time and having some private time consuming issues, I finally got my MCSA 2008. I was so happy icon_cheers.gif At the beginning of 2017 I started my new job as a system administrator (after 3 years being in a support function) and trough the year I have learned a lot. However, I want to get on with the certifications again (and learn new stuff).

I have the book "Upgrading your skills to MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-643)" right in front of me but browsing though I'm in doubt if it will be realistic for me to pass this in the coming months. I think I may lack experience at the moment cause at the job we are not working with 2016 and the books says it's not designed to teach you new things....

Also it took me +/- three years to complete the 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646 exams. The last exam was the most hard one I think, almost gave up on it icon_rolleyes.gif

Would it be possible for me to pass the 70-643 exam next year if I had a hard time finishing the exams mentioned above?

Another possibility would be to 'start over' and study for 70-740, 70-741 and 70-742. ..

I am very curious what you guys can recommend me to do icon_redface.gif

Czarface

Comments

• Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can likely pass the exam in a years time. I got my MCSA 2012 about 2 years ago now. I earned my MCSE in 2012 content earlier this year. I took the 70-743 a few months back with only minimal study in 2016 (I'm very engulfed in advanced server stuff at my job) and edged out a pass (barely).

If you have a current MCSA and you put the time into studying, I'm fully convinced you can pass if you put in the effort.

Pick up the Server 2016 Inside and Out and start working through it. It doesn't cover all the content for the exam and isn't built for the exam in particular. Between that, Technets, and some good labbing you should have a good chance.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT