Options

Help desk?

InterestedInterested Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
What is with all the help desk and desktop support jobs asking for a bachelor's degree in cs, etc. and 3 years experience? Are they serious because it makes me wonder who would work at help desk for 3 years with a degree? Anyways some of these applications are pretty long and the cover letter takes some time, is it worth it to apply to these positions?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Because that is what they ideally want.

Obviously they probably won't get it but that is what they want so they ask for it. You should be applying to jobs even if you don't fit everything they ask for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G3kQyqMFpQ
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interested wrote: »
    What is with all the help desk and desktop support jobs asking for a bachelor's degree in cs, etc. and 3 years experience? Are they serious because it makes me wonder who would work at help desk for 3 years with a degree? Anyways some of these applications are pretty long and the cover letter takes some time, is it worth it to apply to these positions?

You know what i got from that post?
    You saying " the application process asks for too many information and I cant be bothered to fill a 2-3 application or a profile"

Weren't you the one that said you have been interested in IT for years? Now you see that it takes time, effort , passion and most importantly it takes patience to make it in IT.

By the way, I have a CS degree and spend 2 years at the Helpdesk. I'm now an AVP after a decade of experience. Many others here have gone through the same path.

IT isn't easy, we told you that in the last post, there's a reason there is a shortage, people don't want to spend their time continuously learning. IT is like a school that never finishes.

Usually Desktop support might have elevated rights in the environment, you think they will give admin rights to someone with no experience?
    Find an entry level job, get some certs, extend your knowledge and then transfer out of the Helpdesk.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Most jobs don’t require a cover letter but the ones that I applied for that asked for one were jobs I got calls for interviews for. The cover letter is your chance to point out how your experience will benefit the potential employer. You really shouldn’t be spamming for every job anyways. Look for stuff you actually want
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "3 years Experience" Ha..ha..ha:D ... All you need is a high school diploma and a customer service background
    The only applications I found long are the USAGov jobs.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interested wrote: »

Don't feel bad it is a tough job market :)
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    The reason it is getting so tough for entry level jobs like helpdesk now is because of the changing nature of how IT services are provided.

The newer OS versions (esp. Win 10) are really reliable and easy to make "enterprise" ready, so there is less need for desktop support staff.
    Software is much better at updating itself and rolling back if it hits an issue.
    More and more systems are accessible through a web browser so no need for installations.
    People are typically more IT savvy these days and know some basic troubleshooting steps anyway.
    Outsourcing of support is easy now - not necessarily great but cost effective.

These sort of things mean the need for 2nd and 3rd line staff is reduced and many of those who would take these roles are having to take the slim pickings of helpdesk work - meaning a lot more competition and moving on up the ladder is a lot harder.

As an employer I see hundreds of applicants for an entry level position on the service desk and can easily field 50-60 who meet the criteria of a degree and a few years experience.

You need a kick ass CV to even get an interview now and of course the ability to answer basic technical question plus some customer service aptitude.

The long forms to fill out are an HR device to filter out the ones who are too lazy to fill them out - on the basis that if you want the job you won't think twice about it. I think you may be the sort of person they are trying to avoid from your response so you may want to revisit your approach and realise you have to sell yourself better and actually be keen in order to get a chance for a job.
  • Options
    Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    UncleB wrote: »
    The reason it is getting so tough for entry level jobs like helpdesk now is because of the changing nature of how IT services are provided.

The newer OS versions (esp. Win 10) are really reliable and easy to make "enterprise" ready, so there is less need for desktop support staff.
    Software is much better at updating itself and rolling back if it hits an issue.
    More and more systems are accessible through a web browser so no need for installations.
    People are typically more IT savvy these days and know some basic troubleshooting steps anyway.
    Outsourcing of support is easy now - not necessarily great but cost effective.

These sort of things mean the need for 2nd and 3rd line staff is reduced and many of those who would take these roles are having to take the slim pickings of helpdesk work - meaning a lot more competition and moving on up the ladder is a lot harder.

As an employer I see hundreds of applicants for an entry level position on the service desk and can easily field 50-60 who meet the criteria of a degree and a few years experience.

You need a kick ass CV to even get an interview now and of course the ability to answer basic technical question plus some customer service aptitude.

The long forms to fill out are an HR device to filter out the ones who are too lazy to fill them out - on the basis that if you want the job you won't think twice about it. I think you may be the sort of person they are trying to avoid from your response so you may want to revisit your approach and realise you have to sell yourself better and actually be keen in order to get a chance for a job.

Wow that explains a lot thank you very helpful. I guess I was better off looking for some entry level IT work in a less traditional role, like a laptop technician which I been doing for close to a year now.

It makes me think maybe I should skip the help desk all together and my next IT job get a ccent/ ccna and see about a network position or something I did previously 10 years ago, php web development. Go where there is more need and is not so oversaturated with applicants.

But if that doesn't pan out and I can't land a network or web development role or something that leads to upward mobility in the IT field. I got my CDL I always can hop back on a truck and go back to the company I was doing truck driving with. So glad I got it it is a nice back up option to have.

I met two guys when I was trucking who were former IT guys. One was a man in his mid 50's who had been a COBOL programmer got laid off couldn't find an IT job. Another guy mid 50's he was an IT manager been in IT all his life had all kinds of certs and Computer Science degree, he got laid off and no one would hire him I suspect because of his age. So he was on the truck with me as an over the road truck driver.

I am so happy I did get the CDL and at least try trucking for a little while. It is the best investment I have made in years. A very nice security blanket to have with the CDL when worst comes to worst know I always will have a job
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • Options
    nadseonadseo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CVL NAD - A Digital Depository initiative of GoI facilitated by MHRD. A platform for Students, Academic Institutions and Verifiers to access, store and verify Academic Awards