Options

Just received good news.

devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
I finished Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance!

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations man, that's an awesome achievement!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I have my capstone call this morning to figure out a topic.
  • Options
    ThePuterGeekThePuterGeek Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!! That is awesome!
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! What was the topic for your capstone?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Thanks. My capstone was migrating a virtual environment from Hyper-V, rhel 6.x, windows server 2009 to an ESXi 6.6, rhel 7 and server 2012 R2 focusing on the security aspect.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for sharing! How long did you spend in the program, what are your thoughts now that you are done, and what is next?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing! How long did you spend in the program, what are your thoughts now that you are done, and what is next?
    I spent about 5 months. I started in July and a new job in mid September. I really like the courses. The first 4 or 5 seemed like continuation of my daily job though, it was the same material that I worked with on a daily basis. Up next I am going to wait until next year to start anything formal. I am going to start on RHCSA, OSCP, VCP, go through all my wireshark books, python, etc. It never ends. I have so much stuff stacked up. I really like to work at my own pace though and that is why I like WGU so much. It allows me to take on as much or as little as I want. I did spend about 50 hours a week though. I get up really early and was able to do a few hours before anyone even got up and some 30 minute sessions during the day.
  • Options
    averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations! I'm sure that's a major load off.
  • Options
    dizzy_kittydizzy_kitty Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    devilbones wrote: »
    I spent about 5 months. I started in July and a new job in mid September. I really like the courses. The first 4 or 5 seemed like continuation of my daily job though, it was the same material that I worked with on a daily basis. Up next I am going to wait until next year to start anything formal. I am going to start on RHCSA, OSCP, VCP, go through all my wireshark books, python, etc. It never ends. I have so much stuff stacked up. I really like to work at my own pace though and that is why I like WGU so much. It allows me to take on as much or as little as I want. I did spend about 50 hours a week though. I get up really early and was able to do a few hours before anyone even got up and some 30 minute sessions during the day.

5 months? icon_eek.gif
    Total time for your masters?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    5 months? icon_eek.gif

WGU.... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow, 5 months for a masters?!?! I generally don't say much about WGU on here in order to avoid crucifixtion by the wide base of members here who go through WGU, BUT...... this is one of the reasons why I have some issues with WGU.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and welcome to the club! icon_thumright.gif

You should come join me at Capella for your PhD!

As for those questioning WGU...it's a regionally accredited university, same as any other State or Private University.

You need to familiarize yourselves with Competency Based Learning. The whole idea is that you don't have to sit through classes where you're already extremely proficient in the material covered. If you've been working in Information Security for the last 15 years, you'll probably know more about the content covered in the courses than the professors do. This allows you to progress quickly, by completing the required tests and papers for each of the courses without sitting through lectures on material that you already know.

Anyone who is still under the impression that WGU is some how inferior to a B&M, and that you need to drop six figures on a brick and mortar school will miss out if they continue to propagate that mentality. Everything is done online these days...why not school?

Again, this is just MHO...

Techguy215
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My issue isn't with it not being B&M, it's with the quality of thier courses, materials and education and I'll end it there before WW3 breaks out on this post lol
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    5 months? icon_eek.gif
    5 months is pretty misleading though. I have spent 7 years in higher education. WGU doesnt allow any credits to transfer over and I have worked in the field for a while. I spent all of my free time and more working towards this. I dont think it is very typical, but feel that 18 months is probably the norm to complete the entire degree.
  • Options
    dizzy_kittydizzy_kitty Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    devilbones wrote: »
    5 months is pretty misleading though. I have spent 7 years in higher education. WGU doesnt allow any credits to transfer over and I have worked in the field for a while. I spent all of my free time and more working towards this. I dont think it is very typical, but feel that 18 months is probably the norm to complete the entire degree.

Right. It'll probably take me about a year and a half to finish my degree. I was just impressed how dedicated you had to be to knock it out in 5 months.
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you attending graduation? I was thinking about going to the Vegas graduation since I didn't walk for my BA.