Options

Net+ This Thursday!

rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Yes I take it this thursday at 2 PM and Im a little nervous. I hear its an easy exam when compaired to A+ and Sec+ but I have studied hard and understand all the objects pretty well. Any advice you guys can give me? This is also my first cert and would like some advice as to how to get over the jitters.

Comments

• Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First, Good luck on Thursday!

Second, get a good night's sleep and make sure you eat a good breakfast. On exam day I like to review my notes about 1-2 hours prior to taking the exam just to get my brain in the mode of the content I am reading.

And as always ... drink a Rockstar about 20 minutes before, even if it's BS, it's always good to put forth a good psyche before testing icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rbowman wrote:
    This is also my first cert and would like some advice as to how to get over the jitters.
    Take a bunch more exams :D It only took about 15 exams before I stopped getting excited about the exams.... and the jitters went with it.

The best you can do now is finish what ever studying you think you still need to do. Review tomorrow night -- and try to relax. You may be nervous during your first exam -- but fight through it. Focus on each question... and hopefully you'll forget the jitters.

After the first exam I took, I'd still get the jitters, but I'd calm down as my pre-test routine kicked in....

I do afternoon exams -- if you're really jittery, skip breakfast. Better to be hungry then, uh, hunting for a trash can... icon_redface.gif Otherwise, try a light breakfast. And review and try to relax. Get to your test center early (I hit road construction on my first exam and used up half an hour of my 1 hour buffer)... I review my notes in the car (in the parking lot -- not while driving!).... and usually go in a half hour early to get the test over with....

Good Luck!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Whats a rockstar? Never heard of that one before. What about jolt cola?
    I may be looking a little bit too far ahead but after this one Im thinking about taking either Security+ or A+. Im leaning more toward Security+ because A+ looks more like a history lesson. If I ever run across a legacy device then I would just rather replace it with something more up to date. If the people Im working for cant afford it then I would also be considering if they can afford to give me a check :D

By the way...everyone here recommended the ExamCram2 Network+ and I must say that it is pretty good beside the MeasureUp coster er I mean disc that came with it.
  • Options
    rbowman wrote:
    Whats a rockstar? Never heard of that one before. What about jolt cola?

It's just another energy drink. Your jolt cola is perfect as well icon_wink.gif

Good luck!
  • Options
    zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah remember you can't go to the toilet for about 120 minutes, don't drink too much :D try to keep your concentration on something when you need to piss, it's impossible I had to experience it for one MCP exam :D I had drink a large glass of orange juice just before the exam doh !!!
  • Options
    msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    Good Luck on your exam! I am also taking my Network+ on Thursday (tomorrow!) :D
  • Options
    zebra-3 wrote:
    don't drink too much :D
    Good advice! :D

Here's hoping Thursday is a good test day -- count me in for the CCIE R&S written exam. :D
  • Options
    Woohooo, Good luck mikej412!

Look forward to reading your review :D
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to have coffee but when I know I can't, I'll pop a few caffeine tablets to satisfy my cravings.
    Its all mental conditioning, I have trained myself not be afraid of tests. I like to take tests as fast as I can. Almost like a sprint. I find that my first instinct is usually correct. Use lots of positive self talk. I know this. Tests are easy. I like taking tests. What ever works for you. And when you pass, reassure yourself, by saying see I told you this was easy.
    One other thing I always do. I start the test when I want. I will purposely wait after the timer starts and just relax for about a min or so. Then I start. That way I don’t feel like I’m being pushed by the timer. This may sound a little strange, but try it.
    icon_wink.gif

and Good luck of course, you will do fine. You studied. icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    zackmanzackman Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am taking mine today. Got my A+ last week and I am trying to keep up with my summer schedule; another cert every one or two weeks. I think the hardest part is not the material, but coming up with the money to pay for the exam. :D
  • Options
    PASSED!!!!!
    Socred 715 and I only missed a minimum of 10 questions!

Next cert is either going to be A+ or Secrutiy+.
    I was feeling a little sleepy before I took it so I downed my Jolt and was ready to go. Then I could not tell the difference between my nerves and the jolt lol. I can now though because its hard to type with my hands shaking so much...or maybe thats the excitment of passing my first cert.
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    CONGRATS!!! Way to go! If you don't feel the urge to take a step backwards from this point, then go for either Security+ or Server+, or even the Microsoft path towards MCSE!

Feels good doesn't it? :D
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    woohooo! I also passed aswell with a 729! the questions on the test were worded really tricky, not like all the practice tests i've taken.
    Next up security+!!!
  • Options
    Congrats to both of you guys! Good luck on your next certs. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    So do you guys think Security+ is the way to go? A+ does look to be a bit of a history lesson and I am leaning more toward Secruity+. What benifits does A+ bring that Security+ does not. I will eventually get both and Server+ then work my way up the Microsoft certs and eventually CCNA.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot to mention. I used ExamCram2 and the Sybex book along with the tech notes from this site.

My first cert WOOT!
  • Options
    i used the same books :D
  • Options
    Congratulations! Today seems to be a good test day -- so far. I passed the CCIE Written! :D
    rbowman wrote:
    So do you guys think Security+ is the way to go? A+ does look to be a bit of a history lesson and I am leaning more toward Secruity+. What benifits does A+ bring that Security+ does not. I will eventually get both and Server+ then work my way up the Microsoft certs and eventually CCNA.
    I think Security+ is more of "a value add" as you hit the MCSA/MCSE....

The A+ or the MCP probably has "more bang for the buck" for the entry level certifications....
  • Options
    A+ is a good starting point, but you've already stepped over that by taking Network+. At this time, taking A+ would just be a little "resume decoration" for you. Although when looking at the MCSA/MCSE track, you can combine A+/Network+ to apply to the elective exam in MCSA and I think it is A+/Security+ or Network+/Security+ to use for the MCSE Elective, so they have some purpose. Although I think it is only good one time, meaning you can't use A+ and Net+ and then use A+ again, but I could be wrong on that...I've only read about it, if anyone has actually done it or tried it, maybe they can jump in here and clarify for us.

I'll be doing Net+ in the next few weeks, so hopefully I'll be adding my name along with yours. I am getting 95% on ExamCram2 tests, but I don't know how much of it is memorization since I've taken so many...I'm going to get some other practice exams and make sure I know the stuff first...After failing 70-291, I don't want another set-back. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    Congratulations! Today seems to be a good test day -- so far. I passed the CCIE Written! :D

WAY TO GO!!! I know that CCIE is truly the Monster of Exams! If I'm not mistaken, you get 8 HOURS for the hands-on part of the Exam, so I send you my "Best of Luck" when you take it...I am not sure I will ever have the kahoonas to try that one! icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Bryantp757Bryantp757 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How close is the test to measure up or ****??? Does anyone know???
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Take a bunch more exams :D It only took about 15 exams before I stopped getting excited about the exams.... and the jitters went with it.

Show off! icon_cool.gif
    What? Me, jealous? :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    zackman wrote:
    I am taking mine today.
    Waiting on you! What's the word? icon_eek.gif
    jpeezy55 wrote:
    WAY TO GO!!! I know that CCIE is truly the Monster of Exams! If I'm not mistaken, you get 8 HOURS for the hands-on part of the Exam, so I send you my "Best of Luck" when you take it...
    Thanks! :D

The hands-on part was why I decided to "do Cisco." But when I finally decided to start this journey to the CCIE -- I did the Network+ CBT Nuggets. :D With my experience I decided to skip the "entry level certifications" -- but given enough alcohol and a dare (and spare time after I get the CCIE icon_eek.gif ) I'll probably "fall back" and get the CompTIA certifications, including the Network+ icon_lol.gif (and MS too).

But considering how old I am, one of the guys taking the Network+ today might be taking over my CCIE job sometime in the future (if they don't change the Social Security Retirement age). :D So even with my work and exam schedule.... I like to keep tabs on the Network+ guys.... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Bryantp757 wrote:
    How close is the test to measure up or xxx"****"xxx??? Does anyone know???

Pretty close but the ones I missed were about apple stuff, poorly worded, or I looked to far into the question and thought that there was not enough information (could have had 2 answers with the given info). If a **** is what I think it is then you should not be rememberizing questions/answers. These test are to PROVE that you know what you know...not prove that you know how to take a test. It also makes your cert worth more both personally and professionally then just a piece of paper. If you study and can come up with as many questions for yourself for the objectives and answer them then your probably ready. Take a few practice test, study some more, read the tech notes here, study some more,ask questions to others here and oh yeah...study some more. No such thing as too much studying.

Well now its off to Security+ :)
  • Options
    TeKniques wrote:
    First, Good luck on Thursday!

Second, get a good night's sleep and make sure you eat a good breakfast. On exam day I like to review my notes about 1-2 hours prior to taking the exam just to get my brain in the mode of the content I am reading.

And as always ... drink a Rockstar about 20 minutes before, even if it's BS, it's always good to put forth a good psyche before testing icon_cool.gif

I had trouble sleeping the night before...kept waking up ever 1-2 hours and I felt tired. That jolt fixed that though.

I would go the microsoft path but Im not sure weather to go win2k or win2k3 and whats the difference anyway. Would an employer consider me just as well if he was running a win2k network and I had a win2k3 cert? Would that work the other way around as well?
  • Options
    underpargolferunderpargolfer Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:

Nice job Mikej!! Have one on me!
  • Options
    Nice job Mikej!! Have one on me!
    I can do that! Thanks!

So... are you feeling it yet? The pull of the NEXT CERTIFICATION? Is the Network+ calling to you? Are you dreaming MPC? Sure, you got the A+.... but what have you done in the last 2 weeks? icon_lol.gif Okay -- you still get to party this weekend.... but I want see a plan for your next certification on my desk monday morning! icon_lol.gif
    zackman wrote:
    I am taking mine today.
    Still waiting on an update -- are you going to make it a perfect test taking day? There are days where everyone is posting that they passed.... you are the lone holdout on this thread....
  • Options
    One last question. How good is a 715/900 score? I know its pass or fail but the minimum passing for the Security+ is just 754/900...a much slimer margin from the 554/900 of Network+.
  • Options
    zackmanzackman Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed with a 765, thanks for asking. I am off to work on Windows XP Pro, and so on. GREEEAT job on the CCIE. I hear that is super hard.
  • Options
  • Options
    zackman wrote:
    Passed with a 765, thanks for asking. I am off to work on Windows XP Pro, and so on.
    :D
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

I guess that now officially makes last Thursday a good day. :D