Greek to me (job description translator needed)

TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
I have a passing interest in seeing what jobs are available in my area, since I'm planning on securing another position early to mid 2018. Anyway I ran across a position close to me geographically and that interests me, but some of the requirements were Greek to me. Can anyone translate this for me?

10 years or more of relevant ISS experience
Working knowledge of ISS architecture and requirements

I did several searches and came up with zip, finally I came across a document that identified it as Information System Security (ISS). The government loves there acronyms, the rest of the world calls this INFOSEC, can't say I ever heard of it referred to as ISS.
Still searching for the corner in a round room.

Comments

• LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've also heard of ISS (aside from international space station lol) being intelligent switching solution. But with the word architecture, I'm thinking they are specifically meaning Infosec. And yeah, that's a first for me lol, I'm with the government and they are still calling it infosec here.
  • UrbanBobUrbanBob Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Could be a typo maybe they mean IIS?
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have seen ISS before but more than likely somebody got their hands on the req and was like "hmm this sounds official."

I assume it was an InfoSec position correct? If so, IIS would never be mentioned..but if its an IT position that is totally a possibility.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    I assume it was an InfoSec position correct?

Yea, it's a Cyber security position with the FAA, they want Malware analysis and Pen Testing exp, I really don't have the required Pen Testing exp, but it's something I'll have in the future. It's only after I added "FAA" to my google searches I got a relevant hit on my searches. It's kinda funny, several different contractors advertising for the same job, one says 10 years experience another 15 years exp for the same job. The ads also say they highly desire working with the FAA experience and secret clearance, I doubt there are more than 20 people in the entire country that fit all there requirements not currently working for the FAA already.
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well even if that bit didn't make sense to me, if the duties and responsibilities are readable, then I would shoot for it anyway.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N7Valiant wrote: »
    Well even if that bit didn't make sense to me, if the duties and responsibilities are readable, then I would shoot for it anyway.

Yea, government contracting is not for me, at least if I have other options. I did that before, the next government budget cut back, the contractors are the first ones out the door. (Laid-Off) Where I work now I'm an employee, I have a certain degree of job security, not quite Federal government employee level job security, but certainly more than that of a contractor. My current preferences are another position for my same employer, a FTE position at another company, Government contractor, homeless person living on the street, Staffing agency contractor.
    Lol, I'm wondering how I should feel about that given that I have an interview Tuesday with one such staffing agency.

Isn't it true though that when you're in an early part of your career, you'll need any scrap of work you can get your hands on? I figure if I can get my foot in the door and grab a security clearance from them, it'll be worth it.
    OSCP
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Peoples experiences vary by company, location, etc. The big boys have a lot less issues, and other contracts to reassign you to...the small ones change contract hands much more frequently and can lead to large swings in salary/benefits.
    I'm personally more worried that there won't be enough work to fill a 40 hour work week. I can't live on pep talks.
    OSCP
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    back in my day ISS meant In school suspension...... icon_lol.gif
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Probably the JD was written by CISSP fanboys. Have you ever wondered how this acronym unfolds?