Is Daril Gibson's 401 book available in PDF format?

PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
Getting emails from CompTia about renewing... Thought I could use my MCSA to renew Net+ but apparently you have to pay $250 on top to do that which is pretty disgusting. Anyway, I can't find a PDF vserion of the book. Any ideas?
Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
Working on - RHCE

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are you referring to Maintenance Fees? Welcome to the world of certifications...they all pretty much require the fees or to take an exam.

I believe you can buy the book on Amazon kindle, or just buy the physical book. Hopefully you weren’t looking for a freebie.
  • PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do most of my studying in work, and people start asking questions when the IT department are sitting around reading books all day. So a PDF is really the workable solution for me.

Not using the kindle version. That desktop app for reading kindle books formats them awfully. I find it pretty amazing in this day and age that certain publishers don't release PDF versions. Plus converting the EPUBs, they still look like trash.

I'll just use another book if a native PDF version isn't available.

Also, I don't know why anyone would choose to buy a physical book. I could never go back to the hassle of that.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    They don’t publish straight PDFs for the exact scenario you are talking about...somebody just giving somebody a copy of the file...support the people who make the content...also aesthetics has little to do with learning since most of it is text.
    Exact scenario I'm talking about? Do you mean the exact scenario YOU'RE talking about? At no point have I suggested somebody send me a free copy of the file. I've always bought my books. I can send you receipts if it makes you happy. I will even pay more for a PDF copy than a physical copy just for the convenience. Please don't assume.

Also, DRM.

Also, aesthetics have a lot to do with it. Have you tried that kindle desktop app?? It's very difficult to scale the pages, or change the font size, or just make it feel readable.
    Working on - RHCE
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    Exact scenario I'm talking about? Do you mean the exact scenario YOU'RE talking about? At no point have I suggested somebody send me a free copy of the file. I've always bought my books. I can send you receipts if it makes you happy. I will even pay more for a PDF copy than a physical copy just for the convenience. Please don't assume.

Also, DRM.

Also, aesthetics have a lot to do with it. Have you tried that kindle desktop app?? It's very difficult to scale the pages, or change the font size, or just make it feel readable.
    ?

I've used the Kindle app on my iMac to get me through the A+ and Net+, now working on Security+. I generally do my reading while doing some light cardio on an indoor bike, I enlarge the text quite a bit since I'm reading at a bit of a distance and it hasn't been an issue.

In any event, while DRM on PDFs might be doable, I believe the poor early implementation(passwords on PDFs) have left PDFs behind compared to Kindle and iBooks that it simply hasn't taken off. So even if there was a PDF equivalent of Kindle, it's doubtful that their market share would make it profitable for people to publish it in that format. I already have a hard enough time finding Kindle versions of required textbooks for college, so I consider it a blessing that they have Gibson's book even on Kindle.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
    Cisco, Microsoft, Wiley all release PDF versions of their exam guides.
    Working on - RHCE
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bigger companies, bigger budgets.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE