TV as a monitor

dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
Need a new monitor for my PC and was looking at something 23"-about 27". Thought about a TV since they seem to be a little cheaper. My PC has a pretty high end gaming card. It has 2 HDMI ports, 1 Display port and one DVI port. Anything I should look out for or any reason this isn't a good idea? May add a second one later so want to keep that in mind.

Comments

• boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    how many hz, do you game??? I buy computer monitors for higher frame rate
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    Need a new monitor for my PC and was looking at something 23"-about 27". Thought about a TV since they seem to be a little cheaper. My PC has a pretty high end gaming card. It has 2 HDMI ports, 1 Display port and one DVI port. Anything I should look out for or any reason this isn't a good idea? May add a second one later so want to keep that in mind.

Inexpensive TVs usually don’t make good monitors. If you’re going to be viewing any text at all, you want to Look for Chroma 4:4:4 other wise your text will look like crap.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10940219-480-sony-kd43x720e-43-4k-top-rated-tv-for-use-as-a-computer-monitor-by-rtings-com?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

If you’re wanting to game on it, you might consider HDR.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10940439-tcl-55s405-for-315-free-pickup?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use this setup on a 40" LCD with a 21" secondary monitor
    I'm hoping to game on it after taking a break from certs (whenever that is) icon_lol.gif
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plenty of video game systems connect to TV's and look fine, but as someone mentioned, if your using it for text, it may not look as good as a computer monitor. We use a TV in conference rooms to do PowerPoint presentations, but I can't say I even used it to look at text in word or read email using it.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use a 32" Sony TV for my primary monitor and it looks better than any cheap PC monitor I've ever bought, but I'm pretty cheap. I've had it connected VIA the PC port and the HDMI and its great.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just need to be wary of the DPI for text clarity in my opinion. One negative point is that some TVs turn themselves off after a couple of hours for mandatory energy saving. So in addition to moving the mouse/clicking a key to wake the monitor, you also have to turn the monitor back on. No way to override this.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No gaming. I day trade in the stock market and am setting up another computer that I had sitting around. Mainly be looking at graphs and charts but some text too.

I did find a few monitors that are pretty cheap price wise so may go with those. I currently use a laptop with docking station and an extra monitor. It sits beside my work setup that has a laptop with 2 extra monitors so I currently have 5 monitors to look at throughout the day....and I want to add more icon_rolleyes.gif