Important Job Related Question

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Posts: 3,113Registered Members ■■■■■■■■□□
When people sneeze in a cube close to you at work, do you say "bless you" out loud to them?

I used to do it, but no one else ever says at my work when someone does it. I think it is awkward not to say it and despite sitting around a lot of people at work. NO ONE SAYS IT! Even the people I say it to that sit next to me don't say it in return if I ever sneeze. I find it extremely weird.

Think it maybe time to find a new place to work.

Comments

• mbarrettmbarrett Posts: 397Registered Members
    Maybe it happens so much by now, they are de-sensitized to saying anything?

We are approaching cold/flu season, but if it persists beyond the times when there's something going around, it might be time to start thinking why they skip the usual courtesy.
  • PhalanxPhalanx Posts: 330Registered Members
    I've never said bless you. I know there's a religious conotation to it, but I'm Atheist. I understand it's common courtesy, but I'd rather hand them a handkerchief or offer them a cough sweet or whatever if they are ill. If they're not ill, then things are fine.
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation
    Client & Security:
    MCSE: Mobility | MCSA: Windows 10 | MCITP: Windows 7
    Server & Networking:
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Currently Studying: Project+
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Senior Member Posts: 6,567Moderators, Registered Members mod
    Also an atheist, so I never say it. When people say it to me I simply ignore it.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Posts: 3,113Registered Members ■■■■■■■■□□
    BOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm not religious at all but think it it just a nice thing thing to say. I would probably keep saying "bless you" over and over to anyone I thought was ignoring it (on purpose). Maybe send it an email or IM to the person whenever they did it as well...

If they were ill and sneezing I would hand them their coat and ask them to go home!

edit:
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cyberguypr again."

But what if I wanted to give negative rep this time....? icon_cry.gif
  • QueueQueue Posts: 174Registered Members
    We say it here. Keep on keeping on!
  • tedjamestedjames Posts: 859Registered Members ■■■□□□□□□□
    We all say it in my office. Not a big deal. One time I said "Cthulu bless you" and got some laughs.
  • jonenojoneno Posts: 257Registered Members ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow! First world problem...quitting a job because nobody told you bless you. I love America. lol
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Posts: 3,113Registered Members ■■■■■■■■□□
    Right! I hope the OP was joking when he said that or he needs some help.
  • gespensterngespenstern Posts: 1,242Registered Members ■■■■■■■□□□
    It's more of a cultural thing, no need to bring up religion here.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Posts: 2,558Registered Members ■■■■■■□□□□
    I always say 'Bless you'
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • blargoeblargoe Posts: 4,164Registered Members
    Origins are religious, but in practice, saying it seems to be more cultural/regional I think. I get a "bless you" even from the most renowned areligious folks around me.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 1/29/2018 - Passed 70-743 - MCSA 2016 Complete; 1/13/2018 - Passed 70-411 - MCSA 2012 complete
    Working on: Being a better coder, build/test/deploy automation fundamentals
    Future: Renew VCP (due 2/2019), possibly with an adjacent VCP or VCAP
  • shochanshochan Senior Member ArkansasPosts: 708Registered Members ■■■□□□□□□□
    2018 goals -> PenTest+ Beta (failed), Linux+ Beta (pending results), CEH (mid Dec)
    2019 goals -> Linux+ 103/104 (Jan/Mar/Depends on Beta results), KLCP (June), RHCSA (Dec)
  • QordQord Posts: 623Registered Members
    I guess I would wonder if it's a sign of a general lack of courtesy among employees? Or am I overthinking it?

I often say something to those I'm familiar with. Usually start with a "bless you" or a "don't die dude" if I know they don't like that bless-you stuff, move onto a "dude, you gonna make it?" or a "stop it" or something like that. Basically whatever I'd say to my kids I say to my coworkers.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Posts: 1,035Registered Members
    Youre not the Pope. Don't worry.

you could always prove your bi-lingual skills by saying, Salud!
    2018 Goals
    [X] Recertify Cisco CCNA [ ]Recertify CompTIA Security+
    [ ] (ISC)² SSCP [ ] LPI Linux Essentials [ ] Bachelor's Degree