Options

How to get into security

phillyyy15phillyyy15 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I'm 25 years old, recent graduate with a Bachelors in IT. I want to get into security and am working on getting security plus. I failed the first time but am going to study more and try again. But aside from certs, what's a way that I can get my foot in the door in information security? I will do whatever it takes to get in. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Start at Help Desk and work your way up.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There are different parts to security. What would you like or think you would like to do?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    phillyyy15phillyyy15 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are different parts to security. What would you like or think you would like to do?

not sure yet I just want to start anywhere. Doesnt even have to be high paying. and from there decide of I wanna go with blue team or red team
  • Options
    mactexmactex Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Location, location, location.
  • Options
    technogoattechnogoat Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in helpdesk

planning on getting: Cisco Cyberops, CCNA Security, and Security+

I see most security jobs want people who are already working in InfoSec
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    technogoat wrote: »

I see most security jobs want people who are already working in InfoSec

Find security related things to do at your current position. Put that on your resume. Congrats!! You now have experience doing info sec work!
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Get your security + and start applying for DoD contracting companies, that's the easiest way to get into infosec.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also, you can start asking your boss for more security related work. I'm in Network Security now, and worked as a Support Analyst at my previous employer, mid size MSP. I started to enjoy working with firewalls and asked to work more kinds of those tickets.
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Join the Army as a 17C for a few years. Get out. Work as a contractor in DC making bank and constantly reject emails and phone calls by recruiters begging you to work for them:D
  • Options
    cbdudekcbdudek Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have a couple options....

Get a intro job in helpdesk and work your way up the chain. Everyone needs their start, and not everyone starts in security out of the gate. Just like most people who go to school to get a degree don't start as a Network Engineer on day one. Most people start out as a tech or a helpdesk guy. Start getting experience in the field ASAP.

Get a intro job in infosec at a medium/large company. There are junior level jobs out there, but this will all depend on your area. Location is important here, but even more important is your ability to relocate. If you can relocate, then you can apply for more jobs because you aren't bound to the area you live in only.

Good luck!