Options

Your MCSA insight is greatly appreciated

zodiarkzodiark Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys!

I'm torn between RHCSA and MCSA. I really cant decide what to take between the 2.

I'm a servicedesk tech for 6 years, I've been using AD, sharepoint and other Microsoft products, so pretty familiar with the front end application but I want to learn or work on the back end part of the technology.

At first, I'm eyeing to study MCSA Server 2012, since I'm used to Microsoft, using Microsoft Admin tools, and also have some colleagues who were able to pass MCSA (but with the use of ****, which I myself is against of). So I started studying, half way through one of the video tutorials that I downloaded, I got bored, to the point that I lost interest of continuing to study.

As for Linux, I have not yet used any Linux OS, though I installed Ubuntu, yet I did not use it ever.
Reading and watching some tutorials/ talks/ discussions about Linux, from what I can see, it would take me some time to get used to it specially the bash.

I can say my interest is pointing to Linux due to potential career that I might get out of it and the demand for it.

My question is;
Should I continue to study MCSA since I'm using some MS admin tools?
Should I start learning Linux?
Is it too late to learn Linux?

By the way, I posted this thread on both MCSA and Linux thread to have insights from users who uses each technology.

Comments

• Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do both.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    doubleodoubleo Member Posts: 27 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After 6 years of using AD and other Microsoft stuff you're pretty much ready for your MCSA. Getting certified will be easy for you.

Start learning Linux too it's never too late.
    2018 goals: CCNA
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I say do both!!!
    Are you able to do some tasks in Linux at work?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do both, but MCSA first. I think the answer you will get for this will mostly be both.. the site could be renamed Tech Certification Junky!

If you didnt start to study, focus on getting MCSA on Server 2016 .. or if you like having many certs, do the MCSA on server 2012 and upgrade it to 2016 :) Only 1 exam and 2 MCSA :)

For the Linux part, unless you work for a Red Hat only shop, I would do the LPIC certification or the LFCS from the Linux Foundation instead as they are mostly vendor neutral.
  • Options
    I just setup my Linux VM but and still learning the basics, so I haven't done any tasks yet.
  • Options
    Appreciate all the response guys..

Looking at how I will start with Linux makes me think twice.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    zodiark wrote: »
    My question is;
    Should I continue to study MCSA since I'm using some MS admin tools?
    Should I start learning Linux?
    Is it too late to learn Linux?

By the way, I posted this thread on both MCSA and Linux thread to have insights from users who uses each technology.
    Windows is everywhere...depending on the industry and company you might not even see Linux...but you 100% are going to see Windows.

I would get the MCSA...then evaluate how much time it will take to get your MCSE. Although knowing Linux is important to be well rounded, the difference between the two doesn’t justify getting certified in Linux first. I always look at Indeed or other job sites to see what has the highest amount of hits...and other skill sets in those jobs. As you get more senior you can start to specialize and focus if you don’t like Windows.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the replies..

Since here in my location, RHCSA/Linux admin demand is high.
    That being said, I might start Linux instead.

Got 2 months free subscription from Linux Academy courtesy of Visual Studios which I registered way back August, to my surprise, when I activate the Linux Academy it let me use the 2 months free subscriptions (might be the time I registered, the promos from the site is included to my account?)

You guys might want to check it out, they also have 3 months for PluralSight free subscription.

More power to TechExam, lots of great people here, helping each others to be better.

Cheers icon_thumright.gif