Default vlan settings on a switch

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
Am I understanding this correctly... every switch comes loaded with vlan 1 as the native vlan??

I understand for security purpose that you should always configure a different vlan if necessary but just making sure I understand that correctly for the test.
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Most Cisco cat switches come default with all ports in VLAN 1.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    that would make it the native vlan though right??
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes the default native vlan would be vlan 1. It is so default that if you explicitly configure switchport trunk native vlan 1 and check the running configuration it would not show this line <switchport trunk native vlan 1> since is the default.
    so if I make vlan1 a trunk then what's the native vlan???
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You don't make VLANs trunks... You make ports trunks.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    ahhhhh got it, thanks guys appreciate it!
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so if I make vlan1 a trunk then what's the native vlan???

When you say make vlan 1 a trunk do you mean trunk ONLY vlan 1. As networker said trunks are configured on the switchports which define the vlans that will be tagged or untagged.

To avoid confusing yourself if you do not configure a native vlan regardless of what is being trunked (vlan 1 or whatever) it will use the default setting which is vlan 1 as the native vlan
  • Masked_KingMasked_King Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ahhhhh got it, thanks guys appreciate it!

The appreciation is two-way and is understood, no pun, in that the ones trying to explain get an avenue to explain and you in turn get an opportunity to learn. It's the understanding in your brain. My point is it is 'understood' that someone on this site will try to explain and someone will try to ask and that is key, not the emotional attachment of someone not in the training or teaching business trying to weigh in with their two pennies. Again, my point is you have a long way to go so it would tire you to appreciate everything bit by bit. You should expect the help as entitlement or it's coming to you, get aggressive. Leaning is an active event. Entitlement is perfectly fine here.
    lol, deep thoughts on the subject and I am getting very aggressive
  • Masked_KingMasked_King Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol, deep thoughts on the subject and I am getting very aggressive

I'm doing CCENT and getting aggressive with my sources or "sauces" as they say.