Options

USB 1.1 & 2.0

anilgopieanilgopie Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a ASUS CUSL2-C mobo, it's a good few years old. I've had it since 2001. I know it's time for a new one.

Anyways, it's a USB 1.1 and when I installed XP Pro and then the SP2 it still reads my USB devices as a USB1.1, never had this problem b4.

Any suggestions?!?

Comments

• Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    anilgopie wrote:
    Anyways, it's a USB 1.1 and when I installed XP Pro and then the SP2 it still reads my USB devices as a USB1.1, never had this problem b4.

I missed the question/problem? You said it is a USB1.1, but Windows XP SP2 still shows it as a USB 1.1? Did you mean it's a USB2.0 and it is still showing up as a 1.1? Just asking for my own clarity...otherwise, what you typed makes perfect sense... :)
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's my understanding that USB1.1 and 2.0 are different due to hardware, not software. So if you want USB 2.0, you may want to consider an add on PCI card.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    The mobo's USB ports are 1.1, but when I had XP SP2 installed and I plugged in any USB device I wouldn't get any notification saying that I'm plugged a hi-speed device into a non-hi speed port or something of that nature. You probably know the message it says.

But when I recently formatted my hard drive and installed XP and then installed SP2, I noticed that when I plugged in my USB flash drive that I was getting that message that I stated above, "hi-speed device......" I never had this b4, I know I can get a PCI card to solve the problem. But was just wondering if there was anything that could be done to fix the problem.

Like I said b4, I never had this happen b4 always use to see it as a USB 2.0 after SP2 was installed.
    jpeezy55 wrote:
    anilgopie wrote:

I missed the question/problem? You said it is a USB1.1, but Windows XP SP2 still shows it as a USB 1.1? Did you mean it's a USB2.0 and it is still showing up as a 1.1? Just asking for my own clarity...otherwise, what you typed makes perfect sense... :)
  • Options
    I think I'm still a little unclear (my fault, not yours). So are you just wanting to suppress the little pop up message about using a hi speed device in a low speed port? icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I think I'm still a little unclear (my fault, not yours). So are you just wanting to suppress the little pop up message about using a hi speed device in a low speed port? icon_confused.gif:

No, I thought SP2 changes USB 1.1 to 2.0. I was saying before how even though my mobo is a 1.1, when I did put the SP2 it was reading it as a 2.0 and obviously i wasn't getting that hi speed device in a low speed port.

But after i formatted my hard drive the other day and putting the SP2, it's still reading it as a 1.1. I hope that clarifies it, i'll probably just pick up a USB port PCI card. But was hoping I could fix this problem w/o having to get the extra card.

If you not sure, thanx for helping out anyways. I appreciate it!
  • Options
    Okay, I got it now. But I'm stumped. A USB 1.1 is 1.1, regardless of the OS (or so I thought). Maybe one of the A+ guys can chime in.
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Okay, I got it now. But I'm stumped. A USB 1.1 is 1.1, regardless of the OS (or so I thought). Maybe one of the A+ guys can chime in.

You are correct, 1.1 is 1.1 despite the software. You need to get a new USB 2.0 Hub which will (in most cases) let you run 1.1 or 2.0 on it. A 2.0 device will not run on a 1.1 hub.
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    jsobrinogjsobrinog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    of course, 1.1 is 1.1 . You need to buy a pci expansion card to upgrade to 2.0. and making a little bit of history. One of the characteristics of winxp pro sp2 is the usb2.0 compatibility.

:S
    :)
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    To clear up one other piece of confusion USB 2.0 devices are backwards compatible with 1.1 but generally not 1.0. I use a 40Gig 1.8 inch hard drive in 1.1 only systems daily. I love it, fits in my shirt pocket smaller than an ipod. I also have several 1Gig 2.0 pen drives that also fall back to 1.1. Also as has been stated it is the USB controller chip that determines the spec not the hub. No 2.0 then you need a PCI card a hub alone won't fix it.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    EricOEricO Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are correct, 1.1 is 1.1 despite the software. You need to get a new USB 2.0 Hub which will (in most cases) let you run 1.1 or 2.0 on it. A 2.0 device will not run on a 1.1 hub.

Time-out. A usb 2.0 hub will not help his situation, as the hub itself will only connect to the PC at 1.1 levels. Like others have stated, get a cheap usb2 PCI expansion card. BTW the CUSL2 was a great Mobo in its day.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    How about a USB 2.0 port (technically a two port hub, in built in case, running off MOBO) over heating a USB 2.0 USB Flash device?

What could be causing it? Get similar to following error:

"A USB device you have inserted in not functioning correctly"

Checked wiring to MOBO and all looks correct voltage as far as i can see. Four USB pots built directly onto MOBO work fine.
    MOBO is K8-Upgrade-NF3.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools