Certification Goals for 2018

Comments

• GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Within 2 months *after* you take an exam (doesn't matter if you pass or fail), you will forget everything and I mean everything, if you do not use it. icon_pale.gif It cracks me up how people list their certs under their name as if they own all that information they passed, it's a fallacy, a misnomer and the biggest balderdash known to man. icon_sad.gif

For 2018, I am going to put quality, yes quality in 1 cert, just one and focus on that so I can commit information long-term and truely be an asset to whatever it is I am doing, not just to stroke my ego and claim a cert I got that is no longer relevant to anything it is I am doing. icon_mad.gif

2018 goal: put QUALITY into something so I can truely claim it forever and not just artifically.

You are the bad news bear.. icon_mike.gif
  • CodeHaVoCCodeHaVoC Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My Goal Is to get my Sec+. I see a lot of people goals are for Cisco Certs, why is that? I'm currently working for the DoD and I need to get either Sec+ or CCNA. Why are a lot of people on the Cisco Path?
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CodeHaVoC wrote: »
    My Goal Is to get my Sec+. I see a lot of people goals are for Cisco Certs, why is that? I'm currently working for the DoD and I need to get either Sec+ or CCNA. Why are a lot of people on the Cisco Path?
    CCNA Cyber OPS is newest Cisco cert path. In future should replace SCYBER exam on CCNP level.
    Most people are doing this cert for free with Cisco Scholarship
    https://mkto.cisco.com/Security-Scholarship
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• Masked_KingMasked_King Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    You are the bad news bear.. icon_mike.gif

I hate girly girls (it's the whole networking is a man thing, in me) so I will answer by saying everything I said is null and void as long as you put quality in and can commit everything to long-term memory.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    (it's the whole networking is a man thing, in me)
    Oh this should be good. *grabs popcorn waiting for Iris to chime in*
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »

You just like watching me play with my food :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    I hate girly girls (it's the whole networking is a man thing, in me) so I will answer by saying everything I said is null and void as long as you put quality in and can commit everything to long-term memory.

Ignorance is not cute, funny, or endearing. If you aren't retaining anything from your certs, it means that you're not working at a job that puts them into practice and you're not choosing to lab it up on the side. Don't be dolt and rip down other people's accomplishments because of your own laziness or lack of career growth.

xoxoxoxoxoxo - some woman in networking
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ignorance is not cute, funny, or endearing.

one of these days, he'll say something relevant
  • nestorhnestorh Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    2018:
    - COBIT 5
    - Get a Job in a leader position/project management
    - PMP
    Ignorance is not cute, funny, or endearing. If you aren't retaining anything from your certs, it means that you're not working at a job that puts them into practice and you're not choosing to lab it up on the side. Don't be dolt and rip down other people's accomplishments because of your own laziness or lack of career growth.

xoxoxoxoxoxo - some woman in networking

Choosing to lab things up on the side now, thanks for the vine. me, lazy, nahh. not anymore.
  • MasterofNoneMasterofNone Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    2018:

OSCP
    CCNA CyberOps
    Algorithms
    Python & C
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    vmware certs
    cissp
    mba or phd. im still deciding.
  • djrabesdjrabes Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MCSE: Cloud Platform & Infrastructure
    MCSA: Office 365

Don't know what else. Running out of MS certs to do.
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows 10
    Studying: Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure
    Want: MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure), Network+, Security+
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »

*agreed* icon_bounce.gifcrash.gif
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    2018? Is it here already?! Here is my plan for 2018...

CISA
    CISM
    PMP
    ITIL-F
    MS:IT Management or MS:CSIA

Potentials:
    MCSA
    Cisco CyberOps
    CASP
    CSA+

Edit: Now that I have written it down, I have to think about it. I am also looking at some smaller certs such as Wireshark, Qualys, Nessus, Lenel, etc. I am sure this list will grow.
  • marianonamorosomarianonamoroso Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My goal for 2018 is to achieve OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Professional)! icon_cheers.gif
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Been out of the cert game for a bit, just started a new job and could really use some better understanding of networking. So 15 years after completing Cisco Academy in high school and not going for the cert:

2018 Goal: CCENT Feb / CCNA Aug
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Completing that dang CISSP!! Said I would get it done this year but keep putting it off. Should be done by Jan or Feb assuming I pass.

After that. Probably CCSP. Thinking maybe MCSA 365 too as my company is moving towards 365 next year. Hopefully get into a SANS work study. I just need to get my butt in gear!
    Completing that dang CISSP!! Said I would get it done this year but keep putting it off. Should be done by Jan or Feb assuming I pass.

I just need to get my butt in gear!

You do not have sufficient external pressure to have the mentality to get it done.
    You do not have sufficient external pressure to have the mentality to get it done.

Wow. You really are an ass. Now crawl back until the bridge. The billy goats gruff aren't here yet.
    jibtech wrote: »
    Wow. You really are an ass. Now crawl back until the bridge. The billy goats gruff aren't here yet.

I'm just thinking he's wanting attention at this point. Unfortunately for him, you don't get points in the real world for being an ass online.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm just thinking he's wanting attention at this point. Unfortunately for him, you don't get points in the real world for being an ass online.

lol so true
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In 2017 I managed to knock out only one serious cert, so I won't plan much for 2018. If it will be OSCP or CISSP-ISSMP or CCSP I'll be happy. WGU gets in the way too much to keep up the pace of getting more certs.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□

Humble yourself. This is a forum on technology certifications, many people here have different goals. No one asked you to comment or criticize their achievements or their goals. I see you disrupting other forums topics lately and I advise you cool it down with your "authoritative talk" trying to bully or boss people around here.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□

LOL! Thanks doc. The check is in the mail.
  • KyrakKyrak Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA Cyber Ops, VCP6-DCV (Renewal), CISM, CISA, CRISC, maybe TOGAF, CCNA DC, CCDA, AWS Sysops.
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator
  • cert_kingcert_king Banned Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I see a lot of people with a goal for CISSP which is worrying sounds like everyone and his dog will have it soon and it will be devalued so much it will be like the paper MCSE's in the past.

Guys if you do not have the experience please do not go for it, I know you can get associate but you still using the CISSP name and you just a support guy. Leave security to the experienced big dogs please.
    cert_king wrote: »
    I see a lot of people with a goal for CISSP which is worrying sounds like everyone and his dog will have it soon and it will be devalued so much it will be like the paper MCSE's in the past.

Guys if you do not have the experience please do not go for it, I know you can get associate but you still using the CISSP name and you just a support guy. Leave security to the experienced big dogs please.

I wouldn't stress over it. If you look at what else those people are targeting, I would say it is appropriate. CISSP is targeting that 5-8 years of direct experience. You also have to remember you are on TechExams. Particularly, in a thread talking about certification goals for 2018, so they can be held accountable. This is hardly a representative snapshot of the IT field in general. I would argue this crowd is predisposed towards pursuing certs at a much faster and consistent pace than you will find elsewhere. :)
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cert_king wrote: »
    if you do not have the experience

... and who told you we have not enough experience?
    I waited last 2 years to avoid "associate" - next year is just right time
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore