Options

Got Let Go Today

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Well I got let go. Atleast I got my limited infosec experience.
They let me hand over all the info that I had to the consultant.

Hopefully I'll find something next week.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Man, that's rough! Any idea why? Or your contract just expired? Good luck finding a job! This time of the year it totally sucks to be laid off
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry to hear, getting let go sucks.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1) Don't get discouraged!
    2) Don't settle--don't rush and take your experience to find an even better job
    3) Reach out to you network/contacts and see if anyone can help out aka how you can help them out by being super talented & awesome

Go find the next one!
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,049 ■■■■■■■■□□
    it'll be alright.
    Getting Fired Builds Character! :]

How long were you there? (either 3 years; or you have 3 years of Total IT exp)
  • Options
    Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Question, do you have a degree? Looking at your certs, you should be fine obtaining future work. The 3 items most people look at are 1) Experience, 2) Certifications, 3) Degree. I think you're good with the first two for now, unless you're looking to move up into the workforce. If you're missing #3, you can do that part/time, depending on your work hours and time management.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That sucks! Good luck finding something else. Hopefully you land on your feet soon.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Ah, I have been there. It sucks. Dust yourself off and don't let those asshats get you down.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's tough man but dont worry you will find something.

It sucks that companies do this kinda things at the end od the year. No respect for the time you have spend at the company.

Was your role a contract job? Why not extend you as consultant instead of giving it to someone else?
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    GR? Did you attend GRRcon this year? Tom Mead gave a great talk on surviving his first layoff:

Critical Incident: Surviving my first layoff by applying BCP/DRP Principles - Tom Mead GrrCON 2017 (Hacking Illustrated Series InfoSec Tutorial Videos)

I attended this one, it was really good. Hopefully it can help you.

GR is a great area to be job hunting too..not like the eastern side of the state (which is not bad, but can't hold a candle to GR).
  • Options
    Atreides@29Atreides@29 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Network, Network, Network. Hopefully you have a handful of contracts (LinkedIn,....) that you can reach out to.

Companies are still hiring in IT even at this time of year. Good luck...
  • Options
    Atreides@29Atreides@29 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry I meant 'contacts' and not 'contracts.'

Good luck.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    GR is a great area to be job hunting too..not like the eastern side of the state

What the hell is a GR? Not any state abbreviation I'm aware of, or city either. A search on google only comes up with Greece for a geographical location.

Did a search on GRRCon, I come up with Grand Rapids.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    What the hell is a GR? Not any state abbreviation I'm aware of, or city either. A search on google only comes up with Greece for a geographical location.

Did a search on GRRCon, I come up with Grand Rapids.

Lol its under his name, Grand Rapids Michigan
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry that happened. Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So sorry that this happened. I have experienced this as well. Try not to take 'any' job. you might be taking a step back you regret.

If funds are low, I understand, I stepped back from a net adin role to a helpdesk role once because of that. But I have since recovered into networking.

This is why I have an emergency fund now. So that the next time this happens (hope not), I won't be panicking like the rest of them.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sorry that happened. I was laid off at 40 back in 2008, turned out to be the best thing that happened to me. It set me on a path where I was able to get into IT, and able to fly on my vacation Emirates first class. Use this as a pivot point in your career. It's not the end for you, but a new beginning. You can do it!
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So sorry that this happened. I have experienced this as well. Try not to take 'any' job. you might be taking a step back you regret.

If funds are low, I understand, I stepped back from a net adin role to a helpdesk role once because of that. But I have since recovered into networking.

This is why I have an emergency fund now. So that the next time this happens (hope not), I won't be panicking like the rest of them.
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    Sorry that happened. I was laid off at 40 back in 2008, turned out to be the best thing that happened to me. It set me on a path where I was able to get into IT, and able to fly on my vacation Emirates first class. Use this as a pivot point in your career. It's not the end for you, but a new beginning. You can do it!

Good advice here. I went through a difficult period of about 12 months early in my career where I got laid-off, let go from my contract and then fired unreasonably. While I was exploring my legal options, I got a job offer that really set me going in my career to the point where I would be recognized based solely on name recognition.

It really sucks while you're wading through the mental muck but a lot of people can point to being laid-off or fired as the impetus for their success. Your choice is whether you will keep believing in yourself and fighting the good fight, day in and day out ... or not.
  • Options
    Masked_KingMasked_King Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You just devalued all the certifications you listed. Time to re-up.

Edit: what I am saying is maybe you need to be challenged, like a freed convict who needs to "check back in"
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sorry to hear the news.Just use the experience as a stepping stone, keep studying aka sharpening the pencil. You will be surprise how great things could turn out from this experience. keep your head up.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    You just devalued all the certifications you listed. Time to re-up.

How so?

Worst comment ever.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That sucks.

Stay positive and move on.
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    How so?

Worst comment ever.

When you turn up the pressure, it ends up turning up the effort. Have you seen how young people talk, talk about horrible comments.
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When you turn up the pressure, it ends up turning up the effort. Have you seen how young people talk, talk about horrible comments.
    So under this philosophy, if someone's child just died and I acted like a total jackass towards them, they'll cheer up faster?icon_rolleyes.gif
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    N7Valiant wrote: »
    So under this philosophy, if someone's child just died and I acted like a total jackass towards them, they'll cheer up faster?icon_rolleyes.gif

There are two kinds of deaths, physical and psyche. First off, no one died physically during the making of any comment so lets not get overly dramatic. As far as how people talk, have you seen the dark themes that accompany almost everything young people do? the zombies, the walking dead, minions, clones etc. One can die without it being physical and it happens once every 10 seconds. Lets not pretend I said anything to end someone's life but that's not to say the walking dead do not exist cause its all the rage in hollyweird.

Putting pressure to illicit more study is not the same as using some extreme analogy about death and destruction and shame on you for taking it to that extreme, to me you are no better than them.

Try to stay on topic on how to make techexams more relevant and prevalent, not your fragile psyche and distracting personality!
  • Options

So your idea of turning up the pressure is by saying something negative?

Man you got a lot to learn about positive reinforcement and motivation.

You do not motivate a person by telling them something negative.

Even worse, you dont motivate a person by telling them all their work was for nothing.

So by your take your 4 year degree, your experience, knowledge and skills are devalued everytime someone gets fired?

Man you got a lot to learn a lot of how companies work.

A companies actions doesn't devalue your life's work. You would be doing a dis-service to yourself if you think like that.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Masked_king is like that guy in Wolf of Wall Street. You know the one that says "all nuns are lesbians"...

wtf is he even talking about? icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Time to move on...The OP needs positivity...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    Masked_king is like that guy in Wolf of Wall Street. You know the one that says "all nuns are lesbians"...

No clue why anyone would say such negative things.

He often uses the word 'millenial'. He seems afraid of them too.

Bashes instructors and education. All of his posts are nonsense.

If you want something, youre gonna need to ADAPT.

Complaining without a plan of Resolution is WHINING.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Lol its under his name, Grand Rapids Michigan

Please don't confuse me with facts!

Ah, for the original poster, I looked at --Chris-- and seen location "Detroit".
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    First off, who said it was negative, you chose to interpret it that way. what I said was a tool for positive reinforcement but you chose to see it as a negative comment. For some people, you can use all the pos reinf in the world and it will have no effect so for those individuals, something that falls between pos and neg might work or something that wasn't negative at all, like what I said. No two brains are alike and brains have no peers so you don't know. Just because your brain construed it as negative doesn't mean someone else's brain will interpret it the same way. Your brain has no peers and no two brains are alike.

What I meant by someone's degrees and accolades get devalued is that this. All that education or skills got them the job but they were missing something in between knowledge and some other skill to keep the job. Now whether that was the employer or employee's fault, I am not here to discuss some hypothetical specifics for which I have no data but there was some adjustment or skill in adjusting that both sides could not come to an agreement with. Ideally, the more degrees you get, the smarter you should become but clearly, there was something missing.

You assumed it was the company who was at fault in your final comment but again, you don't know the specifics of this hypothetical situation so why would assume anything. Remember, when you assume, you make an ass-out-of-you-and-me.

Bottom line is you chose to think that some feedback for you is negative and apply that selfish notion and apply it for everything (again, selfish) when indeed, it is open for interpretation. You are not a psychologist, so why play an armchair one. Stay in your lane of expertise. I see you got a lot of certs listed under your name but you still took the time to partake in a thread, hijack it from the op, and lead it in a direction you have no expertise in and in a direction that wasn't productive. What I said could have gotten a pos response which is more effort but because you are selfish and completely ignorant of the subject matter, you single-handedly chose to lead it into a brick wall. How smart did your certs make you, in the end?
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »

It's all for not, I never got your lingo Go back to watching Simpsons re-reruns with your dumbed down, knee-jerk responses, Bart, everyone knows Lisa was the smart one but she got no cred for it. It's the reason the Simpsons were banned in most Asian countries.
    No clue why anyone would say such negative things.

He often uses the word 'millenial'. He seems afraid of them too.

Bashes instructors and education. All of his posts are nonsense.

If you want something, youre gonna need to ADAPT.

Complaining without a plan of Resolution is WHINING.

Again, quit extrapolating crap I never said. I wasn't complaining nor whining and stop assuming crap. When everything is potentially crap (millennial era), it is hard to find a viable option. We have no choice. The sooner you learn that, the sooner you will be back playing for my and our team!