CISM AIO material unavailable?

DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey Guys,

I'm want to start studying for the CISM exam with the All-In-One guide however it seems that all the publishers and Amazon has taken down the 2016 edition and replaced with the 2018 edition which doesn't get release till March 2018. I plan to write the exam in either in February or early March (since I passed the CISSP exam in October). Is the main official review guide with the Q&A DB enough to pass or do I have to use other pieces of literature? If the latter then I'm probably expecting to postpone the exam till April/May.

Best Regards,
DZA_

Comments

• Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my opinion, the QAE DB would be more than sufficient in your case just so you can get a feel of the ISACA mindset. You can also watch Kelly's CISM material in Cybrary to be on the safe side. icon_thumright.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • nevermorenevermore Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also recommend just utilizing the CISM QAE DB. Since you passed the CISSP recently, the QAE should be more than sufficient to prepare and get you familiar with the mindset/style of questions.
    Obtained:
    • CISSP/ISSAP/ISSMP, CISM, GISP, CEH
    • M.S. Information Security and Assurance Norwich University
    • B.S. Cybersecurity UMUC
    In Queue: PMP, CCSP, CRISC

• mattster79mattster79 Member Posts: 135 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion, the QAE DB would be more than sufficient in your case just so you can get a feel of the ISACA mindset. You can also watch Kelly's CISM material in Cybrary to be on the safe side. icon_thumright.gif

This is the exact route I took. I passed the exam at the end of November.
    CISSP
    CISM
  • NerdJockNerdJock Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with the others. I foolishly took a boot camp the week prior to my exam and don't think I got much out of it outside of "when in doubt, perform a risk assessment".

However, I spent about 3 months reading the book several times over, and organizing the justifications from the DB questions. In other words, the DB questions will reference a specific section from the book. After collecting all the justifications, the concepts that were not properly addressed in the CBK became more clear, in my opinion. Based on everything else I've seen in this forum, I would take the same approach if I were to take the CISA or CRISC.

Hope that helps.
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I think I'm able to manage to get the exam prepared by most likely the end of February given my current work load and past experience with the CISSP certification. I'll let you know how I do! I've ordered the study material just in case (I'm a type of person to read literature) but I'll see what I can get out of the QAE database so far. Here goes to another certification, time to rock and roll.

Cheers,
    DZA_
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NerdJock wrote: »
    However, I spent about 3 months reading the book several times over, and organizing the justifications from the DB questions. In other words, the DB questions will reference a specific section from the book.

Hats off to you sir. I wasn't even able to finish the first domain and yet you read the book several times. bowing.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • DextraDextra Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd have to agree. I just took the exam with the ISACA study materials. They were absolutely NO help whatsoever. The questions on the test did not even remotely reflect the ISACA study material. I read the CISM book and studied the CISM study material. It DID NOT help with the exam. I wasn't tested on the material, it was more like a test on cryptic test questions.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dextra wrote: »
    I'd have to agree. I just took the exam with the ISACA study materials. They were absolutely NO help whatsoever. The questions on the test did not even remotely reflect the ISACA study material. I read the CISM book and studied the CISM study material. It DID NOT help with the exam. I wasn't tested on the material, it was more like a test on cryptic test questions.

I would try online courses and also the Questions DB. The manual is just too boring