Options

Resume Review

ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm looking for critiques on my resume don't hold back let me have it im getting ready to really get out there and look for a new job the link is my Resume.

.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hZpuACp0uRGxTkQ9tvyD4dLg-N_Ov43w/view?usp=sharing
I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For education and training, only put degrees obtained. Don't list New Horizons training as that isn't a "traditional" form of education. Put a skills/expertise section such as programming languages you know, special skills that make you stand out from others. Never put "I" in the summary statement in the beginning they know it is about you since your name is on it. For certifications, don't put the validation number. They won't know what the code means. if they want to validate it, they will reach out to you. Give them a reason to reach out to you. Change that to when you were certified and maybe an expiry date. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you for taking out the time and helping me.
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the icons at the top look cool.

I don't like "30 pt preference Afghan War Veteran" because it sounds almost like an entitlement statement; the kinds of jobs that value those 30 points won't need it on the resume, since you'd be plugging that into the usajobs.gov template anyways. I'd be more impressed with something like "Afghan War Combat Veteran."

For IT Security Analyst II:
    RSA? You mean like Rivest, Shamir, Adleman? I wonder what RSA stands for.
    Tenses are mixed up. Served, Provides, Leads, Build, Implemented. Pick one or the other but not both.

This one is my personal opinion: I think your certs outweigh your education and training as it stands. I'd considering putting the certs in blue (I like the blue, it looks cool) and the education below--maybe even dropping the fluffy cert courses.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe its just opinion on my end and looking at resumes, but i've always preferred Education and certifications first then hit them with Experience in a short concise manner
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Z0sickx wrote: »
    Maybe its just opinion on my end and looking at resumes, but i've always preferred Education and certifications first then hit them with Experience in a short concise manner
    I think that depends on which one is more impressive.

Since I'm early in my career with little IT experience but a ton of retail, I put transferrable skills first, certs second, education third(AS only), then experience last. But he has more impressive work experience, so I can see why that would go first.

I personally don't feel it's necessary to list certifications twice as that seems redundant. It might also be bad practice to list your actual PII on the internet like that, namely the phone number and email. I made the mistake of uploading my full resume to Monster once and got slammed with spam left and right.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always prefer education and certs to come last. The most important thing is experience. If I don't see experience as the first thing, I assume the person doesn't have any and I don't go further (except for entry-level jobs).

Trim down the education part, get rid of the dates, get rid of the associates since you have a bachelors. No HR engine is filtering on just an associates. Also, get rid of the certs from the education area since you have them listed in the certs area. No one will care that you took a class at New Horizons vs Global Knowledge, it's a waste of space. I'd get rid of the certs from the Army line (since they're in the certs section) and leave it as "General Army Training". Lots of people appreciate that people in the military get trained in various areas.

I agree that "30 Pt Preference Afghanistan War Veteran" sounds a bit entitledy but more importantly, it's signaling that you have been rated by the VA as having a disability and then I'm wondering "what sort of accommodation will I have to make for him"? You might not need one but your resume is having that effect on someone who knows. Then there's the fact that there's no such thing as a 30-point preference, there's only 5 and 10 and I'd wonder what kind of game you're playing.

I'd change the summary to be something like "A proven information security professional, Afghan War veteran and certified Amazon Web Services Cloud Practitioner. "

I'd also get rid of what you're looking for. When I see "I am Looking for cloud positions to mix with my security skillset," (fix the L in "looking") if I don't have a pure cloud job, I pitch the resume. And you're assuming your definition of cloud and mine are the same.

Spell out acronyms where you can, you're making the assumption that HR will know what "AD" is when they may be filtering on "Active Directory". and for God's sake, put acronyms in caps where you have them (which you should minimize). Spelling "AD" as "Ad" is just sloppy. You have several instances of inconsistent capitalization, starting at the top, capitalize names and titles. "Service now" should be "ServiceNow", etc.

Be more active voice. "Leads" becomes "Leading", etc.

I guess we now get to the meat of the jobs. There are two things I want to know, what did you do and what impact did it have? So when you say "Build and maintain reports using RSA via and Microsoft SQL Server", why did you do it? Were you bored or did the VP of Finance demand it? What kind of reports and how did they support the mission of the organization?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had the same thought as EANx on the education, until I realized that you didn't finish the BS yet, so it's not bad to say "hey you can check the AS box, and I'll be done my BS soon" Once you finish the BS then you should definitely remove the AS.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I had the same thought as EANx on the education, until I realized that you didn't finish the BS yet, so it's not bad to say "hey you can check the AS box, and I'll be done my BS soon" Once you finish the BS then you should definitely remove the AS.

Yep, totally missed it. It's disingenuous to do it the way the OP did.