Options

Quickest way to knock out WGU basics

fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I wanna enroll in Cybersecurity & Information Assurance at WGU. I'd like to knock out all of the basics before I enroll, that way I'll just be taking the classes related to the major when I enroll.

Would you guys say that straighterline would be the best way to do this? The quickest and most cost effective?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am getting ready to write up a full post, on just this topic. In the meantime, check out this thread on how I just did it. Started taking classes in April. Started WGU on 7/1. Just finished my last test today.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/126437-my-version-wgu-story.html
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats what I did. I took a few classes that I didn't take in my associates at straighterline. My process was longer took 7 months to pass CIW exams, CLEP and Straighterline classes because it was cheaper that route then paying for 3K in 6 months at WGU and rushing. But after I transferred in everything it took me 2 1/2 months once enrolled in WGU since I only had 7 classes left to take.
  • Options
    jibtech wrote: »
    I am getting ready to write up a full post, on just this topic. In the meantime, check out this thread on how I just did it. Started taking classes in April. Started WGU on 7/1. Just finished my last test today.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/126437-my-version-wgu-story.html

Just read your thread and wow...That's wild. Congrats, dude. Definitely some motivation and proof of what can be done.

For me, the hardest class will be Algebra and I'm trying to figure out the best way to knock it out. Unfortunately, ALEKS is no more. I think I'll go the straighterline route cause I read that all the quizs are open book and the final is only 25% of your grade. I think that may be the best route for me as opposed to trying to CLEP out of it. Deciding if I should do the intro to Algebra course or just the College Algebra course.

Once that's done, I think the rest of the gen ed classes will fall relatively easy. I'm gonna knock out a number of certs before starting also.
  • Options
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Thats what I did. I took a few classes that I didn't take in my associates at straighterline. My process was longer took 7 months to pass CIW exams, CLEP and Straighterline classes because it was cheaper that route then paying for 3K in 6 months at WGU and rushing. But after I transferred in everything it took me 2 1/2 months once enrolled in WGU since I only had 7 classes left to take.

Congrats, man. Did you CLEP the algebra?
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    fabostrong wrote: »
    Just read your thread and wow...That's wild. Congrats, dude. Definitely some motivation and proof of what can be done.

For me, the hardest class will be Algebra and I'm trying to figure out the best way to knock it out. Unfortunately, ALEKS is no more. I think I'll go the straighterline route cause I read that all the quizs are open book and the final is only 25% of your grade. I think that may be the best route for me as opposed to trying to CLEP out of it. Deciding if I should do the intro to Algebra course or just the College Algebra course.

Once that's done, I think the rest of the gen ed classes will fall relatively easy. I'm gonna knock out a number of certs before starting also.

Make sure you don't have to have both Intermediate and College Algebra. I needed to have both so I had to go back. College Algebra does NOT take care of both.
  • Options
    jibtech wrote: »
    Make sure you don't have to have both Intermediate and College Algebra. I needed to have both so I had to go back. College Algebra does NOT take care of both.

You're right. I'm looking at the courses now and it threw me off a bit. It says you have to have Intermediate Algebra and College Algebra. On Straighterline, they have Introduction to Algebra and College Algebra. On the WGU website, I hovered over Intermediate Algebra to get info and it describes it as an introduction to College Algebra course. So I assume that's the same as the Introduction to Algebra on Straighterline.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fabostrong wrote: »
    Congrats, man. Did you CLEP the algebra?

Nah I took the class in school back in the day so i just transferred it in.