Options

OSCE Passed

TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

Just received my email from Offensive Security that I passed the OSCE exam! This was my second attempt as I was not ready to complete what I would consider "the hardest challenge" in the exam on the first attempt. This was by far the most challenging certification I've attempted. I started preparing in June 2017 and signed up for the 60-day course in October 2017. In my opinion, 30-days is better, but you'll need to put quite a bit of effort outside the course material to have a chance in the exam. Unless you have a significant amount of exploit development experience prior to attempting the course/exam it will be a strong learning curve to grasp the material. At least that was the case for me, I had no prior exploit development experience other than what was taught in the OSCP, but I do have a decent programming background which helped with the final challenge.

To prepare, I did the SLAEx86 course from June-September including all the certification assignments in that course. This course (particularly the assignments) is vital to surviving and having success in the exam. I followed JollyFrogs thread on these forums prior to attempting the course. I would highly recommend everyone read that prior to signing up.

I don't think I need to do a review of the OSCE course as there are a lot of those online :). However, this course requires a lot of dedication and late nights. After a while you start to wonder what you can do further to prepare because the material you're provided by Offsec is very deceptive in that you make it through it fairly quickly. The problem is, you'll feel confident and tell yourself "well that wasn't so bad" only to find out that under the hood of each topic there's a never ending amount of details you'll need to know.

As for what's next, I do not plan on taking any other certifications this year. I will be continuing down the exploit development path, but after this course I see just how much I don't know (haha) and will need to refocus my efforts on quite a few topics.

Comments

• Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!

If you could go back to the beginning and do anything different in your approach, what would you change? I always find myself wishing I had done things different at the end, especially when it is something this daunting.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks!

If there was anything I could do differently it would of been more preparation on the ASM side of the fence. I think the SLAEx86 course is enough but its important to be very comfortable with the material. It's always easy to say those things now though :)
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I envy you bro! great pass!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Insane. Congrats on the big achievement.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratz! Envy! Hope to be there some day as well!
  • Options
    gphilipsgphilips Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Thanks for the heads up on the SLAEx86 as a solid prerequisite.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner