Options

Looking to take the 70-290 Exam. How to prepare?

cornchildcornchild Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking to get MCSE certified.

I bought a set of books from McGraw-hill for the four core exams. They claim complete coverage.

I do a lot of Pc repair work and have very good knowledge of Windows and the workings of computers, but I must admit that a good few of these practice questions are very hard.

Some go as far as having several correct answers ,but you have to pick the in their judgment the "best" answer.

The test sounds a bit scary now. lol

Does anyone have any suggestions and tips on how I should study for this test?

I have my books that I am reading, but I don’t have access to a test environment.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

1st. Read 2 different books twice MS/Sybex, this should give you all the knowledge and understanding to actually use the software.

2nd. Read braindumps, most people are against this but its a good way to prepare for the exam only if you have done 1st step. If ya want any i have over 400 questions for the exam including sims.

Lee H
  • Options
    freekstafreeksta Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey guys...

I'm thinking of doing this exam myself,

jus completed the 70-270 exam last week, wif a 968 score...
    that was by jus learning thru the cramsession and 2 or 3 braindumps...

wanted to kno... would this be the method to go thru for this exam???
    or do i really need to go thru the whole book???

I'm a bummer at reading... esp so much... icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Well, it's always good to read, but if you aren't into it, the books can be dry at times...

Freaksta: Whatever works best for you is the way to go. I know people who don't study much, but pick it up quickly and others who spend months reading books and taking practice exams. So, since you passed the 270 with an amazing score, I'd stick with that method.

cornchild: I agree with Lee. Get 2 different books and read through each one. You will find some very minor differences in material (you shouldn't, but it is there), but most importantly, you will get it explained 2 different ways which sometimes helps out a lot. I used the Microsoft Books and ExamCram2. The only part I disagree with him on is the Braindumps. All you get there is someone repeating what they read on the exam and you don't learn much from those, and what if the guy didn't remember the question correctly? Now you get bad information... I am personally against braindumps, but that's just my opinion. icon_cool.gif

I also found that a lot of items on the 270 exam were covered in the 290 books, so it might not be a bad idea to glance over that material also. I took 270 before I started a class on 290 and was amazed at how much better I would have been prepared had I waited another 2 weeks to take the exam since I would have learned more. I have since completed classes on all MCSE exams and am now starting to take them. From 270/290 on the pretty much overlap with material and support each other.

Good luck whichever way you choose to study! :)
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    K_amisiK_amisi Inactive Imported Users Posts: 131
    icon_cry.gif you shud be embrassed of boldy proclaiming that you use brain ****. At the end of the day you know nothing.

The hard way may not seem like an easy way but it pays of in the end.
    Take your time......read your books,get some hands on experience.

You will find that the knowledge you get from legitimate study opens you up intellectually, prepares you for more demanding roles that require that knowledge.
    It is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different."
  • Options
    K_amisi wrote:
    icon_cry.gif you shud be embrassed of boldy proclaiming that you use brain ****. At the end of the day you know nothing.

The hard way may not seem like an easy way but it pays of in the end.
    Take your time......read your books,get some hands on experience.

You will find that the knowledge you get from legitimate study opens you up intellectually, prepares you for more demanding roles that require that knowledge.

no dude... dont get me wrong...

OK, I did attend a class and went thru the 2272 book but briefly...
    I also have a good knowledge of server 2003...

basically I am writing the exam to have it on paper,
    I have played wif the applications... but jus need the paper so i can get the
    jobs... It's not that I jus passed without knowing my stuff...

I kno, braindumps are a form of cheating as most see it
    but it does give you an understanding of how the exams work...
    and if u kno wot the matreial is about, cant see objection to using them... icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    freeksta wrote:
    I kno, braindumps are a form of cheating as most see it
    but it does give you an understanding of how the exams work...
    and if u kno wot the matreial is about, cant see objection to using them... icon_cool.gif

This could get ugly... I still would not trust the braindumps, what if the guy writing them was an idiot? icon_lol.gif Just not worth the risk. Besides, if you do the legitimate practice exams, you will find that they are close to duplicating the real thing. Transcender and MeasureUp were very good ones that I've used in the past. But, as long as people can sleep at night knowing how they prepared for their exams, more power to them. Just remember, and I'm not doubting that you truly know the material, when you are faced with a real-world scenario with the boss breathing down your neck, you better know -why- something should be done, and not just how to do it or what the correct answer should be. That's where the reading and sims come into play.

Once again, Freaksta, I don't doubt you, but for others that read this forum, they need to know.
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Braindumps are cheating through and through. You can tell yourself what you want and believe that if you want, but they are cheating plain and simple. My advice to the OP would be to get some good books and some quality practice exams like Transcender

The rest of this defending braindump usage is non-sense. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    TeKniques wrote:
    Braindumps are cheating through and through. You can tell yourself what you want and believe that if you want, but they are cheating plain and simple. My advice to the OP would be to get some good books and some quality practice exams like Transcender

The rest of this defending braindump usage is non-sense. icon_rolleyes.gif

Tekniques i feel trancenders are so alike braindumps, i have Trancenders for every sinlgle cert there is from Cisco to MS to Linux, i have used 290 trancender and its much easier to read off paper than the screen, they both ask a question they both give the possible answers and they both tell you why the wrong answers are wrong and why the right answer right(the ones i have do anyway). In my eyes thats still learning and if you read my first post i recommended Braindumps after reading 2 different books twice. I say good luck if there used wisely.

Lee
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote:
    Tekniques i feel trancenders are so alike braindumps, i have Trancenders for every sinlgle cert there is from Cisco to MS to Linux, i have used 290 trancender and its much easier to read off paper than the screen, they both ask a question they both give the possible answers and they both tell you why the wrong answers are wrong and why the right answer right(the ones i have do anyway).

Lee, you're going to piss off a lot of people that work hard to write exam questions with comments like that. First, Transcenders are not braindumps because the questions/answers do not appear word-for-word on the real exam. Second, the big name braindump company that we won't mention here does in fact distribute questions/answers EXACTLY as they are on the real exam. Just read the Google groups if you don't believe me, but I'm sure you already know. Third, if I received all the answers of my final exam in college prior to taking the test, I would most certainly be kicked out or failed instantly.

And lastly, I could care less if people use braindumps or if you use them, because I have a firm belief that the posers are sorted out during the job interviews. All it does is make the rest of us work twice as hard to prove that our credentials are earned properly.
    Lee H wrote:
    In my eyes thats still learning and if you read my first post i recommended Braindumps after reading 2 different books twice. I say good luck if there used wisely.
    Lee

This was the part of my original post where I said 'Keep telling yourself that'.

I must go now and set up a new ISA server since we have too many ppl browsing **** at work. Something I'm sure someone who braindumped their way through 227 or 350 would not know how to do.
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    WTF?? Why are people standing up for braindumps? Regardless of your opinion, they are against the site policy so please do not go recommending them.
    witty comment
  • Options
    My apologies if i may have been mis-lead in this thread...

I had not known of the poilcies or my method of learning being illegitamate... icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    just out of curiosity what exactly is the rule about braindumps your refering to
  • Options
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/profile.php?mode=register
    Posting, requesting or promoting the use of braindumps or braindump-in-pdf-selling-cheetsheets-like companies will result in a permanent ban.
    witty comment
  • Options
    i fail to see why braindumps are so hated, ive stated my opinion in this thread so why are people frowned upojn who use them even in a proper way, and yes i mean a proper way like for last part of revision
  • Options
    kovokovo Member Posts: 122
    Mate its not revision, your looking at the exact exam questions and answers. If u want to revise you knowledge read books. Study! STUDY!!!!!!!!! Its how u learn! Ive been preparing for this exam for the last 2 months and, last 3 weeks every day and night full on study, ive learned heaps and hopefully on friday ill have the paper to prove it.
  • Options
    how is it possible to create every exam scenario, to then know the answer, and what about questions were all the answers are right and you have to pick the most right answer, thats the hardest part knowing what is the most right answer and if you have never worked on a IIS server how do you practice. its not possible to prepare yourself for every exam question or is it, tell me how
  • Options
    zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi lads, may I mention that when I started using this forum, (I was already holding 3 MCP) I had never heard before about brain ****, it's by using this forum that I heard for the first time it does exist.

So, to my opinion, this forum is unwillingly making advertising about brain ****. Too many threats about it!

Admin, moderators, wouldn't it be wise to just delete topics talking about cheating and brain ****? the forum is somehow making advertising about these brain ****.

That’s only my opinion, the less you talk about it, the less it will be known.

even if braindumps is not helping you at 100 % to pass an exam, it's just the fact it will be know as a **** to pass MCP, which will impact the credibility of MCP
  • Options
    well done zebra on ya 3 MCP's am really proud of ya, i only have one and have failed 290 twice. How do you revise and whats your test lab
  • Options
    zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote:
    well done zebra on ya 3 MCP's am really proud of ya, i only have one and have failed 290 twice. How do you revise and whats your test lab

hi Lee, I have pass 3 "easy" MCP compares to 70-290.

I have watch the CBT nuggets videos but I wouldn't recommend it for exam 271 and 272 as the trainer of these videos was really annoying me,
    I did some Measure Up exercises, and what really helped me is that I had made my own cram session sheet

290 is more challenging, and honestly I am discouraged, especially when I see the practice questions from this web site.
  • Options
    I'd say that rather than advertise braindumps, this thread warns others about them, those who may not know that they're bad and are using them unwittingly.
    However there are more than enough threads on the subject.

I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that you all agreed to not promote braindumps here (that includes recommending them); so please, don't.
    witty comment
  • Options
    K_amisiK_amisi Inactive Imported Users Posts: 131
    I've been out abit. Nevertheless the issue of brain **** remains a sensitive topic, even if you know your stuff inside,outside it does not justify the use of braindumps.

The issue of using braindumps should not be promoted, i mean.......they violate alot of rules adn ethics. Also if you know u do...keep it 2 yourself, we don't need to know.

if this pisses you off,i'm sorry to say i'm not sorry. I've been busting my ass, reading the bloody books day in day out, so forgive me if i say.........you're all a bloody bunch 4 using braindumps. icon_sad.gif
    It is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different."
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    "Proper use of braindumps"? icon_rolleyes.gif I think we need a big traffic sign on the top right of each forum page "no braindumps".
    Admin, moderators, wouldn't it be wise to just delete topics talking about cheating and brain ****? the forum is somehow making advertising about these brain ****
    That's what we usually do, but it seems to be necessary to leave one of these topics open in a while to warn others.

The following is not just a rule in our registration terms:
    Posting, requesting or promoting the use of braindumps or braindump-in-pdf-selling-cheetsheets-like companies will result in a permanent ban.
  • Options
    jstrongjstrong Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hello guys while I am not glad to see you are having trouble with the 290 it is a relief to know that I am not the only one who thinks that it is rather difficult I thought about stopping and going for the 270 but I have to get 290 out of my craw--I hear they have an upgrade to server 2003 coming out and I am wondering if I should wait or just go for what I know now
  • Options
    The upgrade to track 2003 has been out awhile now. It's 292 and 296. But this doesn't have anything to do with the 290 (or does it?) because the 290 is in the 2003 track.

Edit: if you meant upgrade from 270 to 290...
    witty comment
  • Options
    jstrongjstrong Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the update _omni_--that just goes to show how far behind I really am,I have a lot more reading to do than I thought
  • Options
    _omni_ wrote:
    I'd say that rather than advertise braindumps, this thread warns others about them, those who may not know that they're bad and are using them unwittingly.
    However there are more than enough threads on the subject.

I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that you all agreed to not promote braindumps here (that includes recommending them); so please, don't.

Thats very true OMNI...

and after me registering on this forum...
    and reading after wot i posted... i learnt that i was doing wrong...

thanks guys... for making me see it lightly...