Breaking into Infosec - Whats next after the CompTIA S+

netsechelpnetsechelp Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've spent the last 5 or so years doing helpdesk/technician work for a small MSP. Its been a fairly cushy gig so I haven't really been motivated to move up and out as most people would probably be. However, now I've become bored and even complacent - it's definitely time for a change. I picked up Gibson's S+ book and really enjoyed the material so thats 100% the direction I want to go. My short term goal would be a Security Analyst.
Currently I'm sitting with an AAS in Computer Networking, the S+, and about 5 years of experience. The most complicated/advanced equipment I ever get to work with is Ubiquity networking gear and pfsense firewalls - which I configure and deploy to new clients. Configure is maybe a strong word for that - they are really simple setups - I'd almost hesitate to put that on a resume.
Where do I go from here? Start applying for Analyst positions? I really doubt I'm qualified for that. Instead, should I look to move to a networking specific role like a Network Technician?
What's my next certification goal? SSCP? CSA+? CCENT/CCNA?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Network Technician could make for a good hop point into Infosec. CCNA R&S would be a good cert to pursue to help you land a role like that. Then maybe CCNA Security once you're doing networking, with maybe CSA+ after that, in order to start moving towards Infosec.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think you have a solid experience. 5 years at an MSP means you got to exposure to different areas of IT. Research local security positions in your area and see what's generally required. It could be linux, specific software etc.

I don't believe a Cisco cert would make sense if you're trying to break into info sec. Look into CSA+/CCNA Cyber Ops, SSCP/CISSP
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm personally going for SSCP after Sec+. But only because i am taking a CISSP crash course for school.
    Ive read many people including Darril Gibson mention that most candidates can clear the SSCP within 2 months after Sec+.

Apparently there's tons of overlap and includes more management and risk topics. Also the questions are more detailed than CompTIA.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    I don't believe a Cisco cert would make sense if you're trying to break into info sec. Look into CSA+/CCNA Cyber Ops, SSCP/CISSP
    So uh, CCNA Cyber Ops is a Cisco cert buddy icon_wink.gif
  • justdaveyjustdavey Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where I worked we did Sec+ as an entry level cert. If you were still interested in infosec and wanted to make a career of it the company would help pay for the SANS GSEC and after that the CISSP.

Can't go wrong with a combination of ISC2 and/or SANS certifications IMO