Options

CyberCop's CISSP blog - PASSED

Comments

• Options
    wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have to sign up for a free month on LinkedIn at the top is a LinkedIn learning tab 
  • Options
    CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have to sign up for a free month on LinkedIn at the top is a LinkedIn learning tab 
    Thanks, I will check that out!
    My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)
  • Options
    edited December 2018

3 DAYS TO GO

I am 99% sure I will fail this exam now.  This is not me being sorry for myself, I just don't think I know enough.  I don't know the differences betwen RADIUS, RADIUS+, TACACS, PAP, PPP, CHAP, LEAP and about 100x other things.  I will be amazed if pass this thing.

I am still getting 50% on some of the BOSON questions I am doing. 

I know that is not the guide but I'm very unconfident. 

I'm not looking for replies of "you'll be fine.... you'll pass...." I am posting this as a guide and a blog for others.  

I am not going to read or reply to ANY REPLIES until after the exam.  This is Purely a blog. 
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• Options

2 DAYS TO GO 

Yesterday wasn't a very good day to be honest.  I struggled to concentrate and stick to one thing.  I switched between reading two different books, watching videos, doing tests.  I just couldn't stick to one thing.  I did learn a few things though and covered Bell-Lapadula, Biba, Clark-Wilson and Chinese Wall.  I also went back over some Cryptography stuff.

I have a list of things to look at today namely:

• ISDN, ATM, Frame Relay
    • Laws including GLBA, SOX, CFAA
    • Smurf Attack / Replay attack
    • Bluetooth - stupidly keep getting these questions wrong

The issue I'm having is I can't seem to identify any specifically weak areas.  E.g. I can't say "Oh I'm really bad with Domain 3" and then focus entirely on that.  The questions I'm getting wrong on Boson are quite often very detailed information about a specific technology or word play.  I am still not doing very well on the Boson questions.

Today is my last day of studying.  Tomorrow I will take everyones advice and not do anything.  Will just relax, play a few games, do some christmas shopping, etc....

Not feeling too confident at the minute.  In fact I think I'm going to fail.

Anyway, will possibly update before exam, but if not, I will do so after.

My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• Options
    wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I’d leave the studying now you’ll just stress yourself out mate! I’d just relax now because it’s just information overload. 

As for thinking your gonna fail until you get the print out saying that then you’ve not failed at all so go in with the mindset you’ve studied hard. Where’s the test centre? If it’s far like London etc then definitely leave earlier than planned 
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    edited December 2018
    I had this weird not confident/over confident feeling towards the end. I couldn't really identify any weak areas, everything seemed like review, but I never felt really "ready". I kept going over the models, the definitions, etc.. 

Give this a watch: 

https://youtu.be/-99b1YUFx0A

(ooo, nice. Embedded video!) 

It gives you some last minute tips and things to help out. You got this. You'll be posting Thursday afternoon about your pass. At this point, everything you're studying is all review. If you don't know it by now, you're not going to pick it up today. Check out some videos, maybe some audio, read over the Sunflower guide.... Then, just put the books away. Take tomorrow off from studying. Follow the advice to get a nice day off to relax, have a good dinner, nice sleep, good breakfast, and tackle this ****. :) 

• Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck! And if you have the money to do it, I think the correct decision is to give the exam a try. This way, you have a little bit of closure on round 1/milestone 1 and probably some ideas on how to tackle the next round. Or, if you succeed, damn you'll be gangster. :)

Just remember, the sanctity of life is always the most important thing. :)

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    I will also add, don't study too hard on the day before or day of. Make sure you get sleep, unplug a little. Nothing you cram in the day before is going to make or break the exam for you, most likely.

OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I am getting that horrible feeling of feeling like I don't know anything.  I've read that is quite common.  I've only done about two hours today, again can't concentrate.  I'm done, no more studying.  I'm just going to give it my best shot.  

It's funny as even looking through the book it is all so familiar, although I'm not sure if I know it well enough.  The issue I've had throughout this whole process includes:

1) Contradictory information, e.g. Kelly H says one thing, but Larry says something a bit different, then the two books I've used has a different take.  It seems so subjective in many areas

2) Differentiating between things like What is the difference between PAP, CHAP, LEAP, PEAP, EAP for example.  I only know about a couple of them, the rest I can't remember anything about

There's probably more but I only wanted to post quickly.  

Thanks again!
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• Options
    msbacemsbace Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Best of luck!
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • Options
    RinzlerRinzler Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    You can do this.

Good luck, CyberCop123.   :)
  • Options
    FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone.  I am getting that horrible feeling of feeling like I don't know anything...
    Just wait until you actually hold the cert ;) . I know more than the average bear (and obviously enough to pass the exam) but still feel like a poser sometimes. 

Oh well, just inspires me to keep learning to "earn" it. 
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral:
  • Options
    ansionnachclisteansionnachcliste Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Looks like tomorrow is the big day. Wanted to send some good luck your way. You have this, man. You'll kick it's butt and come posting tomorrow afternoon about your success! :)

It's been fun following your journey with this thread! 

• Options

1 DAY TO GO

Firstly a massive thank you to all of you that have posted to wish me luck.  It's so humbling and heart-warming to think that a group of people I don't know are behind me and interested in my success.  Seriously, thank you to everyone.  

As planned, I've done nothing today in terms of studying.  I played around on the computer a bit, watched TV, stuff like that.  

My exam is at 1530 tomorrow, so thankfully I don't have to worry too much about sleeping well and getting up too early.  I will get there around 130ish, walk to the test centre so I know where it is.  Then I'll go for a nice big cup of coffee and something to eat.  

I'm very excited/nervous at the same time.  I really want to have a crack at the exam and so I will give it my best shot and see what happens.  I won't post again until afterwards when I know the result.  

Thanks again!  :):p

My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• Options
    dinger68dinger68 Registered Users Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!  You have got this.  Now go make that test your #$^*&#^.
  • Options

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHORT VERSION:
    • I passed
    • Test stopped on 100 Questions
    • It was really hard
    • Thanks everyone

LONGER VERSION

I'm not quite sure how, it seemed so much more difficult than the test questions I did.  There were so many times when I was almost guessing the answer.  

I got to the test centre about 1.5 hours early due to making an earlier train service.  I decided to go in and just see if I could do the exam earlier and thankfully I could.  So about 10 minutes later I was sat down doing it.  I didn't have my finger prints or palm reading taken which I was surprised at.  The documentation said I should, and everyone else had mentioned this.  

Of the 100 questions I took.  I confidently knew 100% about 10 of them.  About 50 of them I was about half sure, and the rest I was just stumped.  It was very difficult.  

At question 75 I went out and had a walk around.  Probably for about 7-8 minutes.  I then went back in.

Question 100, the clicked next and the mouse cursor and system paused and then it said "EXAM OVER" or words to that affect.  I went out and got my paper.  I walked down the stairs and paused half way to look and saw the letter (shown below).  

Very Very surprised to be honest with you.  During the test I was worried at how many of the questions I didn't konw.  Some of them I just stared at the words not knowing what it meant, and I had to re-read the question about 10 times.  I also changed my answer a few times as I thought about the answer more and more.

Very very relieved to have passed.  I'm going to do a new thread tomorrow about my thoughts on CISSP, the process, the exam and some tips.  

A massive thank you to everyone in this thread. Seriously, that can not be understated.  I've said before how flattering and humbling it is that people I don't know care enough to wish me luck and have confidence in me.  It matters, it really is nice to hear and good to have the support.  I hope to return the favour to each of you as you progress and do exams.  

My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! 

Following your path from beginning to end was fun, and seeing this post was the cherry on top! :) A stranger online with a 4 page thread about his journey to the CISSP became something fun and interesting and personal. 

You rock, man! 
  • Options
    PC509 said:
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! 

Following your path from beginning to end was fun, and seeing this post was the cherry on top! :) A stranger online with a 4 page thread about his journey to the CISSP became something fun and interesting and personal. 

You rock, man! 

Thank you so much!  Really appreciate you reading and following.  The blog thing I do I find useful as I can plot out dates, make notes, put down some targets for myself, stuff like that.  So I'm hoping that others find some enlightenment and usefulness from it.

Thanks again for your encouragement  :)
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• Options
    Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Awesome! Congratulations... Take  a deep breath, enjoy and relax
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Question 100, the clicked next and the mouse cursor and system paused and then it said "EXAM OVER" or words to that affect.  I went out and got my paper.  I walked down the stairs and paused half way to look and saw the letter (shown below).  

This is the most grueling part of the exam where you get your results, its nerve wracking to find out whether you passed or failed. Especially when they give you paper face down.  Great job CyberCop on your journey and for passing the exam. May be one day I'll do the same like yourself but with OSCP. 

Cheers
    DZA_

• Options
    edited December 2018
    DZA_ said:

This is the most grueling part of the exam where you get your results, its nerve wracking to find out whether you passed or failed. Especially when they give you paper face down.  Great job CyberCop on your journey and for passing the exam. May be one day I'll do the same like yourself but with OSCP. 

Cheers
    DZA_

It was horrific to be honest.  The build up was horrible and I felt so so nervous. The OSCP i was no where near as nervous as it's practical.  It's 24 hours and it's not a "you were wrong... you were right" type of exam.  It wasn't also as subjective or difficult to read the question.  So much concentration was needed and focus to read the question.  I spent around 2 minutes on some questions just reading it and trying to work out what it wanted.

Definitely go for your OSCP if it interests you.  I have an OSCP blog on this forum too which documents my anguish over a four month period!  

EDIT: Also funny that after 100 questions it stopped me.  I thought "AMAZING!!! That must be a good thing?" - especially as I was concerned I'd have another 50 questions left.  I then thought... "mmmmmm, but I may have done so terribly that it's juts stopped me".  So I was still unsure.

My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• Options
    MickyDeeMickyDee Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome! I just scheduled mine for January 4th today. I must say, I've been inspired but your journey.  Congratulations and rest up! I'll be looking foreword to your thoughts on the CISSP.  I've been debating on just getting the CISM, as it seems easier, but I just paid for the exam so now I'm dedicated to focusing on just that.
  • Options
    MickyDee said:
    Awesome! I just scheduled mine for January 4th today. I must say, I've been inspired but your journey.  Congratulations and rest up! I'll be looking foreword to your thoughts on the CISSP.  I've been debating on just getting the CISM, as it seems easier, but I just paid for the exam so now I'm dedicated to focusing on just that.
    Good luck! Paying $700 is a great motivator for studying extra hard, too. :D 
  • Options
    MickyDee said:
    Thank you very much, I am humbled by that. 

Well done to you for booking the exam.  Forget about the CISM... you've done what I did and paid for the CISSP.  That is your motivation.  As stated, tomorrow I will do a new thread about my thoughts on the process.  Keep the faith and keep reading, doing test questoins.

For now, I would only recommend three things:

1) Sybex
    2) Conrad (the big book)
    3) the MP3s from Kelly Handerhan 
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• Options
    COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yahoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Congrats! Congrats! mine is in the middle of next year. Your blog truly inspired us, as you said before that uncertainty of what I know, and what I don't, I was having that feeling for a long time. I just registered to take the exam on May 13th, 2019 at 2pm.  I took CISSP back in 2011. I had a score of 630 at that time, and look at me going to take the exam after exactly 8 years later.  Congrats again!! B):):)  
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    dlmyersdlmyers Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□

CONGRATS!!!

I hope to follow in your footsteps next month. It's been tough going but I'm determined. I've enjoyed both your OSCP and this thread. Celebrate and we'll all look forward to your thoughts tomorrow.

• Options
    Grats! :)