Options

Starting new job tomorrow

SaulXvXSaulXvX Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm 19 and tomorrow Is my first day of a 4 month contract job. I am really nervous and my anxiety is killing me. I'm worrying about everything. Will everyone be nice, will I mess up on my first day.. also, the dress code says smart casual, but I was thinking of going in a suit, just to make a good first impression and so I can get a feel of what everyone else wears. Any advice for my first day would be great, thanks. Oh and FYI I'm in the IT industry.

Comments

• Options
    Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello. You didn't mention what your new job is. Help desk I'm guessing? I think it's fine to play it safe and go with your suit if you want. I doubt you'll end up doing much on day 1. Probably show you around the building and run you through health and safety. Also introduce you to staff you'll be working with. It will be fine!

....also it was kind of a given your in IT. Would have been a tad weird if you weren't when posting on a site dedicated to IT exams =P
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't wear a suit. They're giving you a dress code for a reason. You'll only make yourself uncomfortable and everyone else around you. Other than that, be friendly, smile and just do your best.

Good luck.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with mikey88, I wouldn't go with a suit. They told you what to wear. You'll make a great impression by showing you can listen!

Other than that, relax. Everyone has the first day jitters. Be friendly, take notes and ask questions. Now is the time to get a good understanding of what you're doing. Not messing up something simple a month from now because you were too nervous to ask someone.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    RELAX! You will be fine
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SaulXvX wrote: »
    I'm 19 and tomorrow Is my first day of a 4 month contract job. I am really nervous and my anxiety is killing me. I'm worrying about everything. Will everyone be nice, will I mess up on my first day.. also, the dress code says smart casual, but I was thinking of going in a suit, just to make a good first impression and so I can get a feel of what everyone else wears. Any advice for my first day would be great, thanks. Oh and FYI I'm in the IT industry.

I'm not sure what smart casual is..... if you,re not sure what smart casUsal is then goimNg in a suit won,t hurt things in my opion. Best advice I can say for your 1st day is be a sponge, use common sense, and follow the
    golden rule.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No suit. Follow their instructions. No one wears a suit their first day unless they are pulling in 100k/yr. Wear a simple button down shirt, solid or minimal stripes/checkers. wear plain black/gray/brown/blue pants. Non pleated unless youre an old man from the 90s. wear black or brown leather shoes. Belt must match that color. keep the top unbuttoned. New hires are expected to be USELESS for the first few months. Accept the great opportunity. Don't act like a know-it-all. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FRESH NOTEBOOK FOR NOTES. WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING. ASK MANY QUESTIONS. Try not to ask the same questions over and over again. You want to always ask NEW questions. Where do you live? Check out some fast fashion places like H&M/Forever21. Got a little cash? go to UniQlo/Express. Your goal is to look smart. Not like someone who cant follow instructions.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 No suit

I'd go dress slacks, nice ironed button-down, dress shoes, no tie (optional).

As other said, go in there energized/excited and take the first couple days to learn the ropes and know your role and ask lots of relevant questions.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1 No suit

I'd go dress slacks, nice ironed button-down, dress shoes, no tie (optional).

As other said, go in there energized/excited and take the first couple days to learn the ropes and know your role and ask lots of relevant questions.

Listen to this guy.
  • Options
    ErindErind Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definitely No suit!.

Business casual is what you need. Buttoned shirt, khaki style pants is your play . If you never had a job in IT before just try to pick up the little things. You might have down the basics but there are so many stupid stuff that will be company specific and you need to pick them up before you can be useful
  • Options
    ErindErind Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definitely No suit!.

Business casual is what you need. Buttoned shirt, khaki style pants is your play . If you never had a job in IT before just try to pick up the little things. You might have down the basics but there are so many stupid stuff that will be company specific and you need to pick them up before you can be useful
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree, no suit. I would wear the tie, it'll look good if you do a walk-around to the different sections for introductions with non-IT people but then you can loosen it or remove it later if you choose to. Do wear good shoes though, this is not the day to wear Chucks.