Options

Didn't Pass Splunk User Exam

2»

Comments

• Options
    globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to throw this in here, but Splunk has a program offering the Fundamentals 1 and 2 courses to veterans for free. You get 30 days for each part.

https://workplus.splunk.com/veterans

I haven't actually started mine yet, it's just sitting there until I finish up some other training. But I'm looking forward to working through it.
  • Options
    jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed the Splunk User cert. I am starting the Power User training shortly.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you take the User 6.x certification exam? Noticed Fundamentals are for 7.x but the exam seems to be 6.x?
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thats must be hard taking two different things on the same day.
    Congratulations amazing task!
    Just passed 2 cert exams today...1st one is AWS Solution Architect - Associate in the morning, then 2nd one Splunk Certified User in the afternoon. The 45 questions in Splunk exam were much harder than the 35 questions in the course's final quiz. It is different from AWS exam that you can't go back to previous questions so no need to rush.

The next exam coming up is the Splunk Certified Power User. Our company has the subscription, so it is "free" for us to take the course and the exam.

Update (4/15/201icon_cool.gif: Passed Certified Power User exam today. Had about 10 min left when finishing last question. There were some tricky questions in the beginning (similar to the User exam) and got easier towards the end.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    Yea I noticed that also Moose. Fundamentals 1 training was for Splunk 7 but the exam is Splunk 6
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Quick note to make sure those interested in Splunk certs are aware that the cert program is being relaunched in August and exams are moving to Pearson.

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/training/certification-track/splunk-certification-program-relaunch.html
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Quick note to make sure those interested in Splunk certs are aware that the cert program is being relaunched in August and exams are moving to Pearson.

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/training/certification-track/splunk-certification-program-relaunch.html

I saw that. That will make a few people unhappy. It looks like all previously passed exams will be nullified. I'm glad I only have my User so far.
  • Options
    I hear you. I am absolutely letting mine expire.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info cyberguy. I better hold off on the Power User for now.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeeaaaaahhhhh.... There's a reddit post from a Splunk employee looking for feedback on this new model and the responses are pretty damning. This is definitely not a good idea on Splunk's part. We'll see if they actually go through with it...
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    New certification program is fine. Cancelling validity of certifications already earned by people is a very bad decision.
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    New certification program is fine. Cancelling validity of certifications already earned by people is a very bad decision.

Exactly. This where Splunk will shoot themselves in the foot. Cancelling peoples certs who just spent over 10K getting their architect level 1 and 2 certs is a GIANT slap in the face. This will be the downfall of Splunk if they go through with this. They aren't the only SIEM in town...
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    Agree. Same crap EC-Council pulled and why they are #1 in my black list.
  • Options
    My itty bity splunk certified user is going bye bye?😮lol. I didnt realize that the new certs will practically make existing ones null and void.

Pointless for me to do the the Splunk Certified Power User in the current format even if it is for free. Will be void in a month.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    jwdk19 wrote: »
    Pointless for me to do the the Splunk Certified Power User in the current format even if it is for free. Will be void in a month.
    We do certifications to learn the material so we can get better jobs and do our jobs better. The cert on your resume only gets you a first-round interview; it's the cert knowledge in your head that allows you to keep your job.

Do certifications for the knowledge, not the paper.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    We do certifications to learn the material so we can get better jobs and do our jobs better. The cert on your resume only gets you a first-round interview; it's the cert knowledge in your head that allows you to keep your job.

Do certifications for the knowledge, not the paper.

Agreed. I should have clarified. Knowledge wise it is still good information to learn.
  • Options
    infosecsinfosecs Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    where can one find the splunk fundamentals 1 pdf?
  • Options
    infosecsinfosecs Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    infosecs wrote: »
    where can one find the splunk fundamentals 1 pdf?
    I still can't find this pdf anywhere on their site. does anyone have it?
  • Options
    Jaydel.LeachJaydel.Leach Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,
    Last week I passed the online Splunk fundamentals 1 test on the Splunk website. My certification says "Splunk 7.x Fundamentals Part 1 (eLearning)." This may be a horrible question but Is there an additional test that you have to take at pearsonvue to say you are a certified user?
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yes. The final quiz in the training is NOT the certification test. With the new certification program, you will have to take a closed book exam at a PearsonVue testing center. I will be taking one of the exams on Monday at Conf2018, so I can speak to it more once that is done.
  • Options
    Jaydel.LeachJaydel.Leach Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jibtech thank you for that. I will get ready for the closed book.
  • Options
    maljumailimaljumaili Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't pass the closed book test, it was harder than I thought. If you're planing on taking it anytime soon then make sure you have Creating and Using Lookups/Transforming commands memorized; notwithstanding, it was well balanced (A piece from from each chapter).
  • Options
    u1trasu1tras Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can someboby recommend a good preparation course for Splunk Power User exam (not official for $2000)?
    Certs: OSCP, eCTHP
    2019 Goals:
    eCTHP (done), FOR578 (done), FOR555 (done), Python (in progress), ELK, eCIR, SEC599, NetWars DFIR, FOR610
  • Options
    butters0_0butters0_0 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just passed my Splunk Certified Core User Exam today (31 OCT 201icon_cool.gif. It's not too bad but you'll need to remember a lot of the UI elements and the all the different options and steps in each modules that you learn from. Definitely download the PDF file from the course that has all the slides with additional information; doing the practice labs is also a good way to remember everything you learned. It took me 4 days to study for it so it's definitely doable.