Options

What else can I do with an IT degree?

EmphasisxEmphasisx Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Having a hard time finding an entry level IT job in IT. Been searching almost 3 years in NYC. I thought I had something one time but they lied about the position and just had me answering phones. I have A+, N+, S+, MCSA Win 7, and CCENT. Only experience I have is installing computers for almost 2 years. Recruiters compliment my resume. Interviews go well but I keep getting “went with someone with more experience”. I was homeless 2 years ago and make way too little to survive. I thought getting a degree would put an end to my struggle but nothings changed. I’m not giving up on IT. I’m gonna finish the CCNA and see if that helps. I just want to keep my options open and see if there’s anything else I can do with my degree.

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In IT proven work experience is king. A degree and certs are great in showing that you understand the theory and can pass a test but they do not to show that you have the ability to produce a deliverable in a business environment based on that knowledge.

There is high competition for entry level IT jobs and if they are regularly going with "more experienced" candidates then you might want to rethink you are communicating your value as a potential employee on your resume and during the interview.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You need to do what people once called side work. Get an ad online and do repair jobs for people. Yes it sucks, but it will teach you how to deal with people, get you experience, you will find out if you really know what your doing. These customers want their computer fixed asap. Next go to nonprofits and volunteer to do a little IT work for them for the experience. Go to a goodwill store offer up your services in fixing computers people drop off. Telling you things will chance fast for you. You will get to know people and the more you network the easier it is to get a job. Next try for a part-time tech job.
    Next there is many jobs out there that would take you just becaue you got a degree and you could do their tech work on the side to help them out. Many small companies do that.
  • Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Emphasisx wrote: »
    Having a hard time finding an entry level IT job in IT. Been searching almost 3 years in NYC. I thought I had something one time but they lied about the position and just had me answering phones. I have A+, N+, S+, MCSA Win 7, and CCENT. Only experience I have is installing computers for almost 2 years. Recruiters compliment my resume . Interviews go well but I keep getting “went with someone with more experience”. I was homeless 2 years ago and make way too little to survive. I thought getting a degree would put an end to my struggle but nothings changed. I’m not giving up on IT. I’m gonna finish the CCNA and see if that helps. I just want to keep my options open and see if there’s anything else I can do with my degree.

So, all do respect.

I don't see the problem.

As an organization, do you think they should let you experiment on the production network to get experience?

What people fail to realize, not you but people. What people fail to realize is that if I for example have to train the new guy/gal that's taking away from my job responsibilities. Realistically it's putting me behind. Having some experience goes a long way.

You have to crawl before you walk.

Answering calls builds a communication channel. It helps you to be a better communicator. It helps your patience. ..or builds your patience. Answering calls helps you to troubleshoot. If you can troubleshoot over the phone, doing it at a workstation or by remote assistance is easy. Nothing is worst that attempting to fix something in front of the customer and unable to do it. Then an "experienced" person comes and fixes it in 2 minutes. Get experience. Answers those calls. Stop complaining.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are there any jobs where you go "naw, I don't want to do that"? When you're starting out, you have to apply for every grunt-work role, that's what "starting at the bottom" means. Pulling cable, answering phones in a call-center/help-desk, desk-side support, these are all entry-level jobs. If there aren't many of these in your area, you can stay put or you can move to where the jobs are. And it's likely that these jobs don't require degree.
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Guess what I was doing during my first week on the job literally the last week? Answering phones.

What precisely were you expecting when you applied for the position? I expected to answer phones. I applied for a Help Desk Technician role after all.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    Ben1373Ben1373 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wait, u had an entry level IT job and you weren't happy answering phones, what did u expect? Any helpdesk/it support role you have will involve you answering phones.
  • Options
    EmphasisxEmphasisx Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the people talking about answering phones that wasn't a technical support position, it was literally answering the phone and passing the call to the techs. Has nothing to do with complaining or not wanting to do it. I'm open to anything that gets me experience and I always tell that to recruiters and interviewers. Anyway, I actually got 2 job offers this week. I accepted one as a desktop support technician and I start on the 20th.
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You mean you never created the ticket, as in they were simply using you as a human switchboard?

If I made a ticket that would be fine to me, but I don't know why anyone would ever pay you to only answer phones and do nothing else, not even make a ticket.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Emphasisx wrote: »
    For the people talking about answering phones that wasn't a technical support position, it was literally answering the phone and passing the call to the techs.

That sounds like a call-center to me. There's plenty to be learned in that scenario, specifically about how to gather information so the right people know what to do and how to route the ticket to the right group.

Glad to hear you've moved on to desktop support. There's nothing wrong with any of these jobs, they're good experience for people that want to move on.