B.S. Data Management / Data Analytics job outlook

zirkusaffezirkusaffe Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just curious if the IT path with a new B.S. Data Management/Analytics with little experience in IT puts you at the help desk first before moving into a DB analytics role or if it all depends on demand and employer? Just curious where 'ground level' is for this position? I'm currently sorting through the WGU IT degrees and instead of finishing a degree that aligns with my background I'm looking to switch out of business and into IT which probably doesn't make a lot of sense except I want a change.A lot of people here have IT experience, work experience and/or a few Certs, I'd probably get my A+ at minimum before starting, transfer hopefully 30 credits and possibly test the waters with 'straightline' courses although I'm struggling with choosing a path. Thanks in advance.ZirkusAffe.

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With little to no experience in IT I recommend doing a more neutral information systems degree or a computer science degree. You may find you don't like the specialty you signed up for once you get a taste of it. A nice, down the middle undergrad might seem less exciting but you can change specialties more easily. But if you love database stuff, by all means go for it.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • zirkusaffezirkusaffe Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your insight, makes sense, it's hard from the outside looking into IT to understand if specializing is needed early on, I do understand if you want to go hardware or software probably there will be a fork in the road for that amongst other things but general Info Tech B.S. degree is REALLY my first goal and ultimate goal, I understand that perhaps door of entry into the IT field can be near the bottom floor in the beginning, I'm just wondering if even though not having a ton of experience if Data Analysts in Health care (because there are a lot of hospitals and software companies supporting them in my area) if that 'leg ups' my resume, I get the experience piece. Thanks again, first step....get going right?, then figure it out.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    yoba222 wrote: »
    With little to no experience in IT I recommend doing a more neutral information systems degree or a computer science degree. You may find you don't like the specialty you signed up for once you get a taste of it. A nice, down the middle undergrad might seem less exciting but you can change specialties more easily. But if you love database stuff, by all means go for it.

Agreed.....

Engineering and CS is still the major player in most of these job roles.
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just FYI, I graduated from WGU with the standard IT degree and didn't specialize. After graduation over 7 years ago, I started as a support engineer with the company I'm at which specializes in Data Analytics. So, if that specialization still interests you, it's still possible to break into it with just a standard IT degree. No specialization required.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology