Changes coming to the VMware IT Academy Program

STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello! Stanly Community College wanted to make everyone aware of changes coming to the VMware IT Academy program in the next 5 months. VMware has informed academies worldwide that they will no longer be able to offer classes through Continuing Education programs as of July 31, 2018. Additionally, VMware is not going to allow academies to teach the official Install, Configure and Manage or Optimize and Scale classes as of 31 July 2018. A new VCA level course that will fulfill the class requirement for VCP certification will be available via an option in our curriculum program. More details will be available later this year.

However, this decision by VMware means that your costs for our classes will go from $185.00 USD to the following after 31 July 2018:
In-State Students: $342.25 USD
Out-of-State Students: $918.25 USD

SCC will have two more sessions of Install, Configure and Manage and Optimize and Scale through our Continuing Education program at our current pricing structure. If you or anyone you know wants VMware training from SCC, these classes should be taken as soon as possible. The next session begins in March and the final session will begin in May. To sign up for the class waitlist, go to https://www.stanly.edu/it-academy and click on the "VMware IT Academy" logo. You then need to click on "Enroll Now" and place your name on the waitlist. SCC will try to accommodate as many students as we can, but we cannot guarantee placement in either session. To be fair, we enroll students in the order they sign up on the waitlist.

SCC is committed to providing students with affordable, accessible and excellent IT training. We regret that the changes VMware is making to the program increase student costs and limit course availability. If you use VMware products in your environment and are not happy with the changes VMware has made to the VMware IT Academy program, we suggest you speak with your Dell/EMC/VMware representative(s) regarding your dissatisfaction with the changes.

Comments

• johndoeejohndoee Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    Hello! Stanly Community College wanted to make everyone aware of changes coming to the VMware IT Academy program in the next 5 months. VMware has informed academies worldwide that they will no longer be able to offer classes through Continuing Education programs as of July 31, 2018. Additionally, VMware is not going to allow academies to teach the official Install, Configure and Manage or Optimize and Scale classes as of 31 July 2018. A new VCA level course that will fulfill the class requirement for VCP certification will be available via an option in our curriculum program. More details will be available later this year.

However, this decision by VMware means that your costs for our classes will go from $185.00 USD to the following after 31 July 2018:
    In-State Students: $342.25 USD
    Out-of-State Students: $918.25 USD

SCC will have two more sessions of Install, Configure and Manage and Optimize and Scale through our Continuing Education program at our current pricing structure. If you or anyone you know wants VMware training from SCC, these classes should be taken as soon as possible. The next session begins in March and the final session will begin in May. To sign up for the class waitlist, go to https://www.stanly.edu/it-academy and click on the "VMware IT Academy" logo. You then need to click on "Enroll Now" and place your name on the waitlist. SCC will try to accommodate as many students as we can, but we cannot guarantee placement in either session. To be fair, we enroll students in the order they sign up on the waitlist.

SCC is committed to providing students with affordable, accessible and excellent IT training. We regret that the changes VMware is making to the program increase student costs and limit course availability. If you use VMware products in your environment and are not happy with the changes VMware has made to the VMware IT Academy program, we suggest you speak with your Dell/EMC/VMware representative(s) regarding your dissatisfaction with the changes.

Stanly,

First and foremost thanks for being upfront about this. You know that you are frequently talked about and suggested for those interested in obtaining training. You are giving us the heads up which is awesome. You are keeping us informed.

Thanks for that useful information.
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you for your kind regards. Please be assured we will always be upfront with our students and potential students. We regret these changes as much as you do, but the decision was not ours.
    johndoee wrote: »
    Stanly,

First and foremost thanks for being upfront about this. You know that you are frequently talked about and suggested for those interested in obtaining training. You are giving us the heads up with is awesome. You are keeping us informed.

Thanks for that useful information.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is nice! Thanks for sharing!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Wow, it seems VMware gets more and more unfriendly towards those of us doing certifications. Good think I joined the waitlist a couple weeks back and just received confirmation I'll be attending the March session.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • urstuffplz1urstuffplz1 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Been offered March, however, I asked to postpone to May as I'll have much more time - no problems with this.

It's a shame this change has come by VMware. I feel it's now or never if I want to get certified with VMware as a result.
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I feel it's now or never if I want to get certified with VMware as a result.

Same here. Only reason I'm pursuing it is that I'm moving into a security architect role at work and the Sr. Director mentioned VMware would be good to get up to speed on because of hybrid cloud environments I'd be working on.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Same here. Only reason I'm pursuing it is that I'm moving into a security architect role at work and the Sr. Director mentioned VMware would be good to get up to speed on because of hybrid cloud environments I'd be working on.

Hopefully you are aware that their re-certification cycle is 2 years for the VCP level. On top of all your security certifications that gets to be a lot to maintain.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • neps4uneps4u Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Stanly,
    I send you mail please check.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm in the wait-list since February. Now is a must taking the course with Stanley and pass the exam.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
    Update for Stanly CC: A new VCA level course that will fulfill the class requirement for VCP certification will be available after July 31, 2018. More details will be available later this year.
  • GoldenroseGoldenrose Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    Update for Stanly CC: A new VCA level course that will fulfill the class requirement for VCP certification will be available after July 31, 2018. More details will be available later this year.
    Thanks for the update, is there any program for advanced levels? VCAP design or deploy?
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Those courses are delivered by VMware and VATC partners.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • november24november24 Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi Everyone,

I have 2 questions,

1st, I have finished the Stanly CC ICM 6 curriculum more than a year ago but I haven't sat for the VCP exam and now my exam discount code becomes expired (I didn't know it has expiry date), my question is, am I still allowed to sit for the 2v0-620 exam if I paid the full exam fees? does the Stanly CC course that I took still valid as a credited training course by VMware?

2nd question is regarding the new course pricing by Stanly CC, what does it mean by in-state price?

Please advise

Note: sorry for my bad English
  • duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

1. No, Stanly courses not eligible for standard VCP exam
    2. In-State students, IMHO, students from USA
    duta74 wrote: »
    Hello,

1. No, Stanly courses not eligible for standard VCP exam
    2. In-State students, IMHO, students from USA

Thank you for your answer, I understood from it that I've lost my chance for VMware certification through Stanly CC course, So what are other options do I have?
  • jamshid666jamshid666 Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Stanly Community College is in Albemarle, North Carolina, so In-State rate would be residents of NC, everyone else would be Out-of-State.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security Estimated completion: May 2019
    Remaining courses: C846 (ITIL), C768 (OA), C850 (OA), C769 (Capstone)
    Active Certifications: A+, CCDA, CCNA-R&S, CCNA-Security, CIW-SDA, i-Net+, Network+, Project+, Security+, Server+, Splunk Certified User, VCP-DCV
    Expired Certifications: CCNP, LPIC-1, MCSE, RHCSE,
    november24 wrote: »
    I have finished the Stanly CC ICM 6 curriculum more than a year ago but I haven't sat for the VCP exam and now my exam discount code becomes expired (I didn't know it has expiry date), my question is, am I still allowed to sit for the 2v0-620 exam if I paid the full exam fees? does the Stanly CC course that I took still valid as a credited training course by VMware?

The exam voucher you were given by Stanly was how VMware knew you’d taken training with them in order to meet that requirement of the VCP, if you pay separately for your exams now you would not be awarded the VCP.

You will have to take another course.
    scott28tt wrote: »
    The exam voucher you were given by Stanly was how VMware knew you’d taken training with them in order to meet that requirement of the VCP if you pay separately for your exams now you would not be awarded the VCP.

You will have to take another course.

Thank you, Scott,for your answer, but what if someone used his voucher and failed the exam? how can he/she retake the exam without avoucher?
    november24 wrote: »
    Thank you, Scott,for your answer, but what if someone used his voucher and failed the exam? how can he/she retake the exam without avoucher?
    I don’t know, ask Stanly.
    Please send me a pm here or email your question to itacademy@stanly.edu. We will be glad to assist you.
    scott28tt wrote: »
    I don’t know, ask Stanly.
  • boeintboeint Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any update on this?

We are after the July 31, 2018 deadline and I don't think the Stanly CC IT Academy page has been updated with the new courses. The class description page is still listing the ICM and O&S courses. I put my name on the ICM waitlist, but is it the new course?

Also, does anyone know why Wayne CC is still offering the ICM course with a Sept 4 start date (now full)? I thought IT Academies would not be able to offer ICM after July 31...

I am a little confused about these new course requirements, I need to get a VCP-DCV sooner than later, if someone can point me in the right direction without having to pa $3000+ for the VMware course.

Thanks!
    VMware is now allowing us to continue with the ICM class at least through December 2018. Hang tight as we ride this VM roller coaster ride with you! It seems to be constantly changing. We did start an ICM course this month with the next one due to start in October. Interested students should add their names to our waitlist at https://www.stanly.edu/it-academy (https://itacademy.stanly.edu/waitlist.aspx). Please let us know if you have any further questions.
    boeint wrote: »
    Any update on this?

We are after the July 31, 2018 deadline and I don't think the Stanly CC IT Academy page has been updated with the new courses. The class description page is still listing the ICM and O&S courses. I put my name on the ICM waitlist, but is it the new course?

Also, does anyone know why Wayne CC is still offering the ICM course with a Sept 4 start date (now full)? I thought IT Academies would not be able to offer ICM after July 31...

I am a little confused about these new course requirements, I need to get a VCP-DCV sooner than later, if someone can point me in the right direction without having to pa $3000+ for the VMware course.

Thanks!
  • hughsofthughsoft Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've added myself to the waitlist. Any way of knowing whether or not I'll be on the October before I sign up with another Colllege.
    We cannot guarantee anyone a "seat"; but hopefully, you will be in the next section. You can send me a private message with your full name, we can check for you.
    hughsoft wrote: »
    I've added myself to the waitlist. Any way of knowing whether or not I'll be on the October before I sign up with another Colllege.
  • hughsofthughsoft Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Once you have completed your course and used your voucher towards 2V0-602PSE, do you then need to take 2V0-622 or 2V0-622PSE?
    hughsoft wrote: »
    Once you have completed your course and used your voucher towards 2V0-602PSE, do you then need to take 2V0-622 or 2V0-622PSE?

The current process for students in a VM IT Academy such as Stanly CC is as follows:

Qualifying students receive a PSE voucher good towards the foundations exam at the end of VM ICM and another voucher at the end of VM O&S for the second exam.
  • netchadminnetchadmin Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I currently have a voucher for the VCP exam that is about to expire. Is there anyway to get it extended so that I can have more time to study the material?
    The validation period of 1 year is set by VMware, and the IT Academies do not have the ability to change this.
    netchadmin wrote: »
    I currently have a voucher for the VCP exam that is about to expire. Is there anyway to get it extended so that I can have more time to study the material?
  • boardinace8boardinace8 Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    STANLY_CC do you happen to know if I'll still be able to take a course with Stanly in order to get my VM Certificate? It seems I'm a little late to the party and it's really disappointing to see that VMWare had made this decision. I just recently looking into getting my VM Cert and don't really want to spend $1000 or $5000 to get it :(
    STANLY_CC do you happen to know if I'll still be able to take a course with Stanly in order to get my VM Certificate? It seems I'm a little late to the party and it's really disappointing to see that VMWare had made this decision. I just recently looking into getting my VM Cert and don't really want to spend $1000 or $5000 to get it :(
    Sorry for the late response, but I have been off line for a couple of months.  Please let me know if you still need assistance with this.  As you know you need to be registered on our IT Academy wait list.