Is a MCSA/MCSE helpful for security?

mnashemnashe Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
Interesting title, I know :)

I've been in IT for quite a number of years now. I've worked as a sysadmin in the past and now a network engineer. I'm finding I'm I'd like to move away from a network engineer role. I'm trying to figure out a new path for myself, which may include enterprise security (defensive), cloud or mixing both.

I know CISSP is a great long term goal and eventually, I do want it get it. Its been awhile since my sysadmin days, so I was looking Microsoft's site just to see what's new. I saw they have a Securing Windows 2016 exam and the Identity exam (70-742) has some security aspects to it.

Not sure how worth a MCSE is for security, so I figured I'd ask.

Other certs I'm thinking are AWS Solution Architect, CCSP, CySA+

Not trying to be a cert junkie, just trying to put myself in a good position

thoughts/advice appreciated

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While MS / AD knowledge is useful in the field, when hiring I don't look for MS certs specifically but people who have knowledge on AD / server security. I think if you're trying to get out of the sysadmin/netadmin areas, then focus specifically on the security certs for whatever area of security you're interested in. Avoid blanket advice like "get OSCP and get a job" if you have no interest in pen testing, with a well rounded background you already have a big leg up compared to many others trying to break into the field so figure the area you want to get into and then look for certs to compliment that.
  • mnashemnashe Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    While MS / AD knowledge is useful in the field, when hiring I don't look for MS certs specifically but people who have knowledge on AD / server security. I think if you're trying to get out of the sysadmin/netadmin areas, then focus specifically on the security certs for whatever area of security you're interested in. Avoid blanket advice like "get OSCP and get a job" if you have no interest in pen testing, with a well rounded background you already have a big leg up compared to many others trying to break into the field so figure the area you want to get into and then look for certs to compliment that.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the quick response. I had a feeling the certifications themselves would not be looked for. I was thinking of it more of the technologies that it covers like Internal CA, Federation, etc.

I think the biggest trouble I'm having is finding the right security certifications to compliment my security interests. I would say my interests are server, network and cloud security. Any advice for this?

Edit to add: OSCP is pretty much the only security cert that I know would not be a fit for me.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not much help for you, because I'm in the same boat OP. I'm trying to figure out how to move out of a network engineer role, but still keep the network security side of it. I'd like to combine it with windows security

I said I'd never do a Comptia cert, but I am thinking about CySA+. CISSP is another good option for the resume. I'm interesting in seeing what others suggest