Headed to Sans GCIA 503 Training! Suggestions and Advice Welcomed...

tboetboe Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey All,

Im Super Excited about this Training and also having a shot at 503. I decided not to dig into any material until I sit for training. I hear that this is a tough one, do you guys have any advice on how to tackle this exam? study methods, Time frame before taking the test, hours/ day a week study, and etc...any helpful advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I felt this was tough, but my study method was the same as every exam I prepare for - study everyday until exam day. I believe the deadline for taking a GIAC exam is four months after completing the SANS training so the time frame is already set for you. The amount of hours per day or days per week of study one should dedicate to any exam depends on his/her schedule and how comfortable that person is with the material.

I did On-Demand so I would watch the video on a section while following the corresponding pages in the book. I also built my index as I went instead of waiting to finish all of the material like I did for SEC504. Sometimes I spent a few hours a day on this course and sometimes less. I basically squeezed in as much study time daily between working full time and having a family.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm doing SEC503 right now. This is my 7th SANS course and it is definitely one of the more technical courses. My plan is to read the material 3-4 times, do all the labs 3-4 times, make an index and gather some **** sheets/quick reference guides for the tools. I'll take my first practice test once the index is built and I have gone through the material twice. I'll remove the areas I'm weak on and take a second practice test a week or so later and then take the exam. I started the course on 1/15 and plan on taking the exam the beginning of March.
  • mactexmactex Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tboe wrote: »
    Hey All,

Im Super Excited about this Training and also having a shot at 503. I decided not to dig into any material until I sit for training. I hear that this is a tough one, do you guys have any advice on how to tackle this exam? study methods, Time frame before taking the test, hours/ day a week study, and etc...any helpful advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Be ready to get you some bit masking!
  • tboetboe Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You guys are awesome! thanks much
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mactex wrote: »
    be ready to get you some bit masking!

this!!!