Options

Small Office Network

EricOEricO Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am doing some side work for a local small business (~10 Users, Win2k Clients) that need a server setup. As luck would have it they will probably be using a Compaq DL380 G3 with around 4 gigs of ram and 6 74gig 10k rpm scsi drives and an external scsi vxa 1. This should be all that they need hardware wise. They need a shared secure location for personal and group files. They don't have allot of $ to spend on network software so I figured I would run linux with samba. What I would like from you guys would be recommendations in regard to which distro to use, what backup software to install, and any other configuration suggestions you may have.

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well if they are impressed by or want the security of recognized big names then that probably means Redhat or SuSe (Novell) servers. For cross family environments, something like NovaNET should do for disk, tape or autoloader backup; it handles Redhat and SuSe and all the Win clients.

Can't really help you to much on the configs. Samba I believe shows up as Win NT 4.2 and should be reasonably painless.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    EricOEricO Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your advice. I have open suse downloaded along with the latest version of samba. I am going to try to convince them to give up an older pc so that I can load smoothwall on it. I will post back to let you know my experiences.