Options

What would be better?

denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
If one wants to one day get into security what would be better a ms in computer science or an ms in cybersecurity or any other security bachelor's? I noticed Georgia tech has an online ms in computer science for like 7k which sounds like a steal.

Edit: I should probably mention I already have a bachelors that is unrelated. So I am trying to pursue a masters in a relevant field. A masters in computer science seems less limiting then a cybersecurity degree but I am not quite sure if it will look good if I decide to go into cybersecurity. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With Zero practical experience... neither option is realistic.

Learning Institutions want you to believe all you need is their "degree" to start this wonderful, new Career in Infosec.
    But its not really true.

You need EXP first.

Generally speaking; you don't start in Security.
    You move into Security later in your career; AFTER you've become an expert in another discipline. (desktops, servers, networking, databases, programming, etc)...
  • Options
    denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    With Zero practical experience... neither option is realistic.

Learning Institutions want you to believe all you need is their "degree" to start this wonderful, new Career in Infosec.
    But its not really true.

You need EXP first.

Generally speaking; you don't start in Security.
    You move into Security later in your career; AFTER you've become an expert in another discipline. (desktops, servers, networking, databases, programming, etc)...

Ya thats why I said one day... Im just wondering which major would be better to pursue. It seems computer science will leave me with more options in case I don't like security for whatever reason.