Should I get my a+?

poetayetoepoetayetoe Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have my net+ and my security+ and I'm studying for my CASP. Is it worth getting my a+?
Thanks!

Comments

• soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Short answer: No

Caveat: unless you have no IT experience or are trying to transition into IT and are applying to entry level IT helpdesk or IT support type positions.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do have IT experience right now? Do you understand the topics that are on the A+?

If you answer yes to those I would say no.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    only if you want help desk positions. Are you working now?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • davec8080davec8080 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    poetayetoe wrote: »
    I have my net+ and my security+ and I'm studying for my CASP. Is it worth getting my a+?
    Thanks!

I've seen billions of job listings requiring Security+. While I haven't seen any that required Network+, I have seen a few listings that say Network+ is desirable. I have seen a few jobs listings stating that A+ is required. I'm not talking about entry level jobs, either.

If you are wondering whether to get A+...

Just go job hunting at indeed, monster, usajobs, etc. Find jobs that you really would like to work. See if they mention A+
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Basically what everyone else is suggesting:

Yes if you have 0 IT exp or are not currently in an IT role

No if you are in IT and are looking to move a head.

The A+ will get your resume through the resume filters for Desktop Support/Helpdesk type jobs.
  • versoleversole Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    no man, you should aim for cisco ccna
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have over 13 years in IT.
    I'm in here reading about A+ due to it being a mandatory pre requisite to some courses i could see being made available to me in the future.

So I would say it depends.
    If someone is paying for it i would defently say yes as i wish i could get it paid for.

Now I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to study for this exam as I just started reading one of the books and there is no way I'm going to read nearly 2000 pages of this stuff I already know but worrie about trick questions like what is a "planar". I have never heard that term used before.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IronmanX wrote: »
    I'm in here reading about A+ due to it being a mandatory pre requisite to some courses i could see being made available to me in the future.

If someone is paying for it i would defently say yes as i wish i could get it paid for.

Now I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to study for this exam as I just started reading one of the books and there is no way I'm going to read nearly 2000 pages of this stuff I already know but worrie about trick questions like what is a "planar". I have never heard that term used before.

To be candid, I work with several techs right now who have 10+ years in IT who could ALL stand to study for the A+. I'm not saying this is the case for you, but if someone tells me they have "x" number of years, I'm unimpressed. I want to see that they know what they are doing as too many people just think it's putting in the time. If someone has simply been "working" in IT for years, opening IT helpdesk tickets, and passing them onto a backline team for resolution, sure that person has "been in IT" for years, but probably not really that sharp.

If you know a lot of the material, then take the practice exams for those chapters. If you make 100% you are probably good skimming the chapter to be sure there is not some small piece you don't know, and then move on to the chapters you need to read. I would view reading 2000 pages as good review even when I know it as I don't work with every facet of IT all the time, and forget some details. So reviewing is good. You can always skip those pages that you already understand well, and focus on those that you don't.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Many hardware vendor warranty program ask for A+ for their certification.
  • sajag83sajag83 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say the same as rest of guys have said

I would only go for A+ if i was looking to start in IT as my career. if you are already in IT then dont bother.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IronmanX wrote: »

Take a practice assessment and see where/if you need to review. 13 years in you should be able to pass it with out an issue since it is geared toward those with 12 months exp. You could also go to CompTIAs website and get the objectives to see what is on the exam and how much each section is worth and build you studies around that.