Options

A doubt on router updates

tj123tj123 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi,
in the case of rip ,while sending an update of aroute from router A to router B, does rip increments the hopcount on router A before it sends or increments the hopcount aftr it is received at router B..

thanx

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RouterA will increment the hop count before sending.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    thannx for the reply
  • Options
    hai...

are u sure that the hop count is incremented before it is send from router A, i came across a question where it asked " what happes to a distance vector metric as it is received on a router". the answer was that the metric gets incremented...

thanx
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry,i checked a debug output and thaught it was added by the sender.Looking at the rfc for rip it states the receiver will add the cost of the link to the received update.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    K_amisiK_amisi Inactive Imported Users Posts: 131
    If i still remmemeber correctly the receiving router will increase the hop count.
    It is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different."
  • Options
    hi,
    i also checked the output of debug using RIP which showed the sender increasing the metric, bt when i checked it for igrp it was the reverse , the receiver was the one who incremented the metric..

a confusion still exists..

thanx..