Pentest+ study plan and materials

2»

Comments

• rdrunnerrdrunner Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got my email yesterday too. I passed too. Congrats JollyFrogs! Sorry to hear that jamsub.
  • r073rr073r Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am following this thread. I signed up for the exam and then cancelled once I started reading that it was way more than a simple CEH-style theory exam. I've decided that I'll wait until the next version of the exam comes into beta and take that one. By then (three years or so from now), I should have theory and tools usage knowledge to help me pass this one.
    Well for me it's better than CEH nonsensical way of milking off all your money so Pentest+ I'll choose it over CEH 
    PC509 wrote: »
    I figured as the PenTest+ is multiple choice, that it'd focus more on theory and procedure and less of the hands on (which is where the eJPT/OSCP would come into play). It seemed like it would be out of place and more equate to the CEH style of exam, which I didn't care for (again - theory and procedure and less of the hands on).

The more I hear about the exam, the less sure I am of where it fits in the certification realm. Better than CEH, but not the practical stuff like eJPT/OSCP?
    Sorry, but I don't share your opinion on comparing eJPT with OSCP, I know that e-learnsec are hands'on based, but, they are too far from the Offensive Security Courses and Certifications level. I see your point, hands-on vs multiple choices, but, ECSA also is hands-on, but the level compared with OSCP (or OSCE, and so for) is poor.
    Anyway, there are a lot of Pentesting / "Hacking" certifications now, specially because when Microsoft or Cisco promotes their Certifications, the situtation is clear, you must know to admin and configure those technologies, but with pentesting the thing is different, there are Offsec, EC Council, E-Learnsec, SANS, Comptia+, EXIN, and many others; so, which cert you must take?. The best answer for that now, on 23/03/2018 is sharing this Job Position Req:
    "MWR Info Security - London
    OSCP & OSCE won’t hurt your chances, CEH might. We have openings for all grades (Junior to Senior) of consultant in our London, Manchester and Basingstoke... "Right now, you can see this Job on: https://www.indeed.co.uk/Ceh-jobs-in-London
    Offsec guys were real Hackers in the past and in the present: better known as Milw0rm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milw0rm
    Only hackers can teach you hacking!
    Best regards.

OSCP is another higher realm entirely 😅 EJPT is lower realm 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Note: This is an old thread discussing the beta-release of the Pentest+ exam in 2018. Information in this thread should not be regarded as accurate, but the opinions expressed might still be relevant to your certification goals.
    JDMurray said:
    Note: This is an old thread discussing the beta-release of the Pentest+ exam in 2018. Information in this thread should not be regarded as accurate, but the opinions expressed might still be relevant to your certification goals.
    sure i know it's old
    edited November 2020
    That note was meant for anyone on the Internet who might visit this discussion thread at anytime in the future.   ;)
    JDMurray said:
    That note was meant for anyone on the Internet who might visit this discussion thread at anytime in the future.   ;)
    True i know bro haha :smiley:
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hard to believe the three year renewal is looming. I got a reminder email from Comptia recently for this cert, which is expiring for me next spring if I don't renew. 
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    Yes, my Pentest+ expires next March. Oh well... :p
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    Yes, my Pentest+ expires next March. Oh well... :p
    I passed my PenTest+ on Nov 5, 2020. I submitted my last CEU for CASP+ the next day.

My PenTest+ is now good until 2026. :smile:
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science