IT Audit - getting stronger

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
In the past few months I've seen an increased demand for IT Auditors, it's only natural this will be the next area with unfilled positions. It took a while but now it's getting some recognition I guess. I've received multiple emails on LinkedIn to transition over to IT Audit but so far I have not given in, not ready to retire yet. Just today I saw a post from a recruiter advertising IT Audit positions at different levels starting at 115K + bonus and going all the way to 150K.

Something to consider for those who want to make a move or try it out. What didn't make to me was how the recruiter was trying to spin the potential of the job as "it can help you get the foot in the door to big Audit firms and financial institutions and then to transition to other roles" Anyway, like I said, keep an eye open if you are interested.

Comments

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From what I have been told they are hard to find. Supply and demand......
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought you needed to have an accounting and IT background to be good at that kind of work. While some people excel at accounting and others in IT, having proficiency in both is somewhat rare. Sure you can teach anyone to do anything, but they may suck at it. Also don't be blinded by the big $ salary, there's a reason they are paying big bucks for that kind of job, for most people it's probably undesirable work. If how much money was all I was interested in, I'd be a Drug Dealing Pimp today.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interesting, I've never heard of any sort of accounting background and I work with a ton of auditors. Even for the technical background, it depends on the type of auditor. For example, yesterday I had a meeting with a team of 4 of them. When there was a question on specific tech they'd refer me to the guy that sort of gets networking a little more, then back to the main one who understood NIST guidelines.
  • H-bombH-bomb Member Posts: 129 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are tons of audit jobs out there. The “Big 4” is always hiring (Deloitte, PWC, KPMG, EY). From what I hear work/life balance isn’t the greatest at those companies, but they do appear like great companies to work for!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Interesting, I've never heard of any sort of accounting background and I work with a ton of auditors. Even for the technical background, it depends on the type of auditor. For example, yesterday I had a meeting with a team of 4 of them. When there was a question on specific tech they'd refer me to the guy that sort of gets networking a little more, then back to the main one who understood NIST guidelines.

That's where companies love auditors that have a good technical background, even though they're not common. You usually don't get people who move from technical to audit because the stigma of being boring and tedious (it is tedious admittedly). For that reason, at my company the management loves me but the auditees hate me. They know they can't BS me when providing evidence.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework